Walmart customer shoots, kills police officer...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by RussP, Apr 6, 2012.

1. TexasFats

TexasFats NRA, TSRA, SAF

I agree. Acevado is like too many chiefs; he's a politician first and a cop second. Also, the MSM in Austin will crucify a cop and try to ruin him even if it's a good shoot.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Horrible.

My thoughts and prayers...

3. RussP

Well, I started this thread with the reference to first time carriers making their obligatory walk through Walmart thinking that would be the path the discussion would take. Guess the WWW (Wally-World Walk) might be a thing of the past...

Then I thought that someone would ask, "Did the shooter have a carry permit?" Nope, no one did.

Instead, y'all voiced concern, offered good thoughts and prayers for the fallen officer and his family.

Thank you...

4. I assumed ALL leaders in Austin were "leftists." Still a sad story ........

5. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

Walmart is definately a very dangerous place 24/7, three sixty-five ... believe me. :wow:

Prayers for the family of the fallen.

6. RussP

Thinking about this, reading the news reports, I wonder what effect this will have on how people perceive those of us who carry for self defense.

I'll explain using a paragraph from the updated report jdavionic linked to in his post.

• The paragraph essentially said Daniel, the shooter, was carrying the pistol in his pocket. When detectives interviewed him he told them he brought the gun to display and intimidate anyone attempting to stop him.
    What will readers get out of that paragraph? Here is what I believe they will take away from that...
    Is that going to affect Texas open carry legislation? :dunno:

Are they going to stop there? C'mon, :rofl:, no way.

There's been no report that I can find stating Daniel did not have a license to carry concealed. That would help debunk any association with those of us possessing carry permits/licenses.

Again thinking like an anti, "How can we trust people carrying guns? Look at that Walmart guy..."
    • He was previously arrested driving while intoxicated

• He has another DWI in Austin

• He's charged with possession of Marijuana

• Daniel told his roommate, "Dude, I've gotten away with worse s*** than that. I run from the cops on my bike almost daily."

• and that day he mentioned to his roommate he might possibly rob a store.
    And the anti says, "Is everyone carrying a gun like that? We can't let people like that carry guns"

That's the perception some, maybe many will take away for this.

How do we combat that?

7. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

the world is a dangerous place. but this guy was not too smart, up on charges, doing crime in front of cameras, devil may care attitude, ect...

sad!

sounds like the officer was trying to be nice...

but a good reason to carry if there ever was one.

:whistling:

8. Facebook page doesn't say anything about him being a former LEO. But his latest recommended link is "Cheers, Drink Beer and Live Longer"

9. He probably was, since he was on duty.

10. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Open Carry, in a professional manner, as the nicest guy in the room.

#30 Warp, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012