close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

walmart ammo

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by HunterG23, Apr 18, 2012.

1. HunterG23

HunterG23
    Expand Collapse

I'm quite perplexed. I bought some ammo from walmart for target shooting. The guy behind the counter had a box of federal 100 count for around 32 bucks. I asked him if he had any SD rounds and told me they didn't sell SD at walmart. I just did inventory of my ammo, and found that box of federal umc jhp 165 grain with brass casings. Can't for the life of me understand how I got jhp when he said they didn't sell them. Now that I have them, are they decent enough for SD? Or should I just use em up and the range? I use Hornedy critical defense 165 grain JHP and I think I trust them. Thanks in advance.
    regards.

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob
    Expand Collapse
    KoolAidAntidote

Hunter, please double check the box. "Federal UMC" doesn't compute. Federal ammo is produced by ATK, and UMC is a low-priced generic line produced by Remington.

I haven't personally seen any generic 165 grain .40 JHP ammo; that stuff is normally 180 grain subsonic.

Best bet in a .40 seems to be premium grade ammo, but generic JHP will certainly do in a pinch if that is not available.

best,
    Mas

3. HunterG23

HunterG23
    Expand Collapse

yes, i can't believe i got my wires crossed, its remington umc 180 grn jhp. sorry bout that, i had a lot of ammo to inventory and i didn't remember it correctly lol.

4. HunterG23

HunterG23
    Expand Collapse

I fired 50 rounds of that JHP and didn't have a single problem. However, the ball ammo, I had 3 mags in a row with one that would not fire. Bad ammo I would think.