close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Walmart ammo

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Detectorist, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Detectorist

Detectorist
    Expand Collapse

They have an ammo can with 420 rds of Federal M855 for $149. These are on stripper clips.

Good price?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Eurodriver

Eurodriver
    Expand Collapse

What is sales tax like where you live? I guess that would be the deciding factor.

Here that would be $160 with tax, and I'd probably pick it up just for the convenience.

3. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06
    Expand Collapse

Not to Jack the thread and I apologize if this has been discussed many times before already, but why is practically EVERYONE now overflowing with M588? I've seen everyone from Academy to Wally World to all the local gun shops now super saturated with this stuff, even if they have only offered .223 rounds in the past and no 5.56 Nato. Is it because of the military's decrease in operations? Are some or most of the military branches switching to Mk262 and Mk318? Or has supply finally built up enough to surpass demand?

4. G30Mike

G30Mike
    Expand Collapse
    Say When!

I've bought two of these cans in the last 3 months. It shoots great for me, haven't had any problems with it. Good deal in my book.

5. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

It's only $10 cheaper on Palmetto. However, M855/green tip isn't always the ideal range ammo, if that's what you are looking for. It's often prohibited on indoor ranges, will damage some types of steel plates and poppers, and is generally more expensive than lead-cored ball. It can also suffer from iffy terminal performance from shorter barrels, if you are looking for HD/SD/SHTF ammo.

If you want a small stock on hand as a "just in case", then go for it. It's not something I would buy in bulk or with great frequency, though.

6. jellis11

jellis11
    Expand Collapse
    Yippee-ki-yay

Makes me want to run by walmart tomorrow or when I get home from ATL!

7. Detectorist

Detectorist
    Expand Collapse

7.925%

If and when I get an AR, i do get a 10% discount at Wally World.

8. K. Foster

K. Foster
    Expand Collapse

That comes out to .35 a round. Not a bad price, especially if you want your ammo on stripper clips. As an example, PSA sells 855 on stripper clips for .33 per round. Only a 2 cent savings without figuring shipping vs sales tax. It’s not a bad deal, if that’s the ammo you want, go for it.
    However, I agree with Wooden Plank. For plinking, there are cheaper/better options like XM 193 from PSA for .27 cents. For defense, there are much better choices.

9. TACLOAD

TACLOAD
    Expand Collapse

I'm thinking we might see more on the market and prices go down just a little since we shut down OND.

10. boomhower

boomhower
    Expand Collapse

Not bad, especially for local. They have them here but I personally don't care for steel tip. 193 is cheaper and I can't think of a realistic reason I'll ever need steel penetrating ammo. Some stores carry Federal XM193 for $5.99 a box, that's hard to beat no matter what route you take. Personally I'm a steady buyer of XM193 from PSA.

11. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot
    Expand Collapse
    OIF 04-05

My Wally World sells only Federal 100 rd packs (most of the time) for $39.95. Dick's Sporting goods was selling TulAmmo for $6.99 and American Eagle for $7.99 for 20 rd boxes. Just another reminder not to shop for ammo at Dick's!

12. mgs

mgs
    Expand Collapse
    Always Carrying
    Millennium Member

I paid that with free shipping....no sales tax, Mike.

13. B.Reid

B.Reid
    Expand Collapse

Remember that you won't have to pay shipping.