close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WAL MART pulling rifles and ammo?

Discussion in 'Glockers of the Old Dominion' started by 1*45, Apr 22, 2007.

1. 1*45

1*45
    Expand Collapse

I was in WAL Mart yesterday in Warrenton, Va, The complete section with the rifles and ammo is gone. Whats up with that? has anyone seen anything with there local store?
    Looks like a political thing again.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey
    Expand Collapse
    Bravo Zulu!

Vultures can smell a meal a long way off. I've noticed diminshed inventories in our local Walmart as well. No doubt, a corporate decision based on what sells the most/makes to most money for them balanced against what could hurt them in court and in PR. Can you imagine the how the skies would have darkened with vast numbers of circling attorneys over every Walmart had the VT shooter purchased his stuff there?

3. packrat213

packrat213
    Expand Collapse

About two months ago I was making my normal ammo run at the Wally World in Leesburg and the guy gave me a heads up, saying that he thought they would be getting out of the gun business and they were going to put all the guns on clearance. Needless to say, I checked regularly! I went in about two weeks ago and all the guns were gone. I asked him what happened and he said they sent out a memo for all stores to pack up what they had on hand and ship them back to the main warehouse in Arkansas. Still don't know what prompted the decision.

4. MD Mountain Man

MD Mountain Man
    Expand Collapse
    2A Supporter

Sears bought out wal mart a while ago. I am betting the new decision makers at the helm are respponsible for this change.

5. Dandapani

Dandapani
    Expand Collapse

not Wal-Mart, it was K-MART!

6. klt1986

klt1986
    Expand Collapse

I don't think Sears bought WalMart. Sears and KMart merged a couple years ago and that may be what you are thinking about. The rumor on several other message boards is that WalMart is pulling the guns from select stores that do not sell alot of firearms.

7. watsoncb

watsoncb
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

It seems to me that the Wal Mart in-store firearm displays have been getting worse for some time. I suspect that is due to the reduction of floor help to reduce costs and the need for dedicated floor staff that require specialized training to monitor inventory and complete the paperwork when selling a firearm. But Wal Mart's special order firearms (shotguns and rifles) web site is still up...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=170080&fromPageCatId=4155&catNavId=4155

I have used Wal Mart's firearms special order system several times and found very good pricing. All you need is a firearm certified store close by. In the NoVa area Chantilly, VA Wal Mart is certified. :banana:

8. valkyrie0002

valkyrie0002
    Expand Collapse

The Walmart in F'burg stopped selling guns a while back but about 6 miles down the road in Massaponax Walmart has guns.

9. Truckee

Truckee
    Expand Collapse
    Aging Goat

K Mart bought Sears. This disheartened me as K Mart is an extremely Anti corporation. I do not support K Mart holdings unless an absolute must (i.e. I own many Craftsman brand tools).

This Wal Mart thing has been discussed many times. Corporate has very little to say about firearms. There also is no official prohibition in corporate guidelines, meaning the lawful may carry into Wally's World.

During Katrina, this question arose over WM closing down it's firearms/ammo sales in various stores. Corporate issued a statement saying that any decision to cease firearm sales was determined at the local/individual store management level.

10. bwithoutremorse

bwithoutremorse
    Expand Collapse

Wal-mart leaving the firearms business is good for the traditional gun shops whose sales were suffering from wal-mart.

11. klt1986

klt1986
    Expand Collapse

I agree with you to a point but in many areas, Wal Mart is the only thing that keeps local firearms prices reasonable.

12. Dandapani

Dandapani
    Expand Collapse

Looks to me like a merger of equals:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=63737&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=644973&highlight

13. MD Mountain Man

MD Mountain Man
    Expand Collapse
    2A Supporter

You are right. I don't know where my head was when I posted.:hugs:

14. sigpro357

sigpro357
    Expand Collapse

Yeah your right. Because my paycheck is so big that I can afford to buy 100 rounds of Winchester White Box .40 Cal at Gander Mountain for 29.99 when I could go to Wal-Mart and get it for 19.99. Buy two boxes from Gander Mountain and you could get three from Wal-Mart.

The local gun shops are only higher. I pray Wal-Mart doesn't stop selling firearms and ammunition.

15. Fungunner

Fungunner
    Expand Collapse

I'm finding fewer and fewer reasons to shop at Wal-Mart. They keep dropping other products I was buying too. If they stop selling ammo and gun stuff, I'll give them the same amount of business I give K-Mart - ZILCH, or NADA to their staff.

Heck, even the announcements over the PA system are now in Spanish.

16. Blitzer

Blitzer
    Expand Collapse
    Cool Cat

JAMBOG!
    I was quite a few months ago that Wal-Mart announced over 2/3 of their stores were closing the gun sales counters.

Is this better? ;)

17. bulwaagh

bulwaagh
    Expand Collapse

Hey man, I think these guys were discussing which local stores were getting out of the firearms and not a general "OMG Did you hear walmart stopped selling guns" thread.

18. Dan

Dan
    Expand Collapse

The guy at the counter in Roanke on Orange Ave told me the WalMarts will be pulling guns and ammo by 2008 and some stores depending on sales might be sooner.

19. Dan0076

Dan0076
    Expand Collapse
    Special Member

I was in the Wal-Mart (Nimmo) in Va. Beach yesterday and noticed that all of the rifles were gone. I didn't bother looking to see if they still were selling ammo.

20. KosherNRA

KosherNRA
    Expand Collapse
    DJ Jazzy Jew

Ol' Sam Walton is rolling in his grave with this news....