Wake Up!

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by Med-Defense, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Understand the full time pay thing! We have a couple of former WA DNR guys with us now. They all loved the work, but the pay and being seasonal often sucks. What area of OR are you in, chief? I lived there a few years, and went to medic school there. A good friend of mine works for Albany Fire.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I'm in Klamath Falls.. south/central Oregon

3. Medic for around 7 years now

4. OEC (Outdoor Emergency Care) tech, member of the National Ski Patrol. Looking to further my EMS training for EMT certification sometime next year.

5. oli700

sweet

#45 oli700, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  6. cfd630

cfd630 Foam Lieutenant

Career Fire Lieut./Paramedic here in VA. Work as a Tactical medic on the SWAT team and now a Dive Medic on the Police Dive Team. Just got my first Glock after our team just switched to Glock from HK , all .40s.

7. sphillips45

sphillips45 Senior Member

18 yrs as a firefighter, 1 yr as Chief. We are a small rural dept here in Alabama . It has been the best 18 yrs of my life i love it ..

8. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766
    CLM

Career FF/Medic/Arson Inv. 26 years plus three years as a Volunteer FF. I also work per diem Ambulance/ER at a teaching hospital.

I'm not teaching often since starting out my last medic class with a dose of reality. I asked why in the **** are you people wasting your time here. In two to four years you will have realised that this is a mistake. Get in the RN Program and in not much more time you will have a better paying job, better working conditions, more respect and a career path.

Out of the eight that finished the class four are in the Nursing Program two years later. It feels nice helping shape young minds.

#48 hotpig, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  9. Just got my medic -- FF since 96, EMT since 99

10. Retired (on a disability) firefighter/paramedic after about 27 years. Best job in the world bar none! I also taught fire science and the State firefighter II course at a local college.

11. This area used to be busier if I recall... years ago. FF/Paramedic, 10 years.

12. D25

D25 The Quick

Lt/Paramedic at a small combo FD.
    Still trying to figure out why we are called "Fire" Departments. For every fire we go to, there are 100 medicals and 10 technical rescues. I spend more time in a drysuit or a class 3 harness than in bunker gear.

13. I've often asked that same question.