close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Wa homeowner gets 5 years for killing burglar

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Glockin26, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Glockin26

Glockin26

Feb 22, 2010
    Renton, WA
  2. rattlehead55

rattlehead55

Apr 15, 2011
    Arizona
    "That night he waited in his garage with a loaded rifle and when the McKenzies came up his driveway, Brady began shooting."

You cant just shoot some one for pulling into your drive way.

3. The article was short on information about what the couple were doing by turning into the driveway. Could they have thought they were at a friend's house they intended to visit?

How did Rob come to believe they had guns? Because flashlights are attachable to handguns? Scary.

Again this proves that if all one has is a hammer, all problems look like nails.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  4. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    Really the guy lucky he got such a light sentence. I am not saying don't protect your self but that to me screams looking for trouble. True people came up to his home uninvited but that dont give you the right to open fire at them. What would have happened if this unaware couple just had a the wrong house. Idiots like this guy that get our rights restricted or taken away.

5. What a freaking moron! I am shocked that he received only 5 years. This is exactly why so many people think that gun owners are trigger-happy dumb rednecks!!

6. 10mmWendel

10mmWendel

Jul 13, 2010
    Texas
    McKenzie's family members made emotional pleas to the judge to give Brady the maximum sentence.
    "There's no eternal life in heaven. For you, only hell," said Brady's sister, Colleen Walczak.
    /\
    Did they mean to say Mckenzie's sister?

This is the kind of person that gives gun owners a bad name. He should be forced to rot in prison.

7. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    The article clearly says police said they came to "rob the house". It's a messed up situation, for sure. If he had been in the house and they had attempted to enter it probably would have been justified. Does Washington have a Castle Doctrine law?

If one or both of the couple had had a weapon, would it have been justified?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  8. EODLRD

EODLRD AF Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Washington
    At the time he shot they were simply tresspassing.

He would have been fine if he challenged them. But shooting right off the bat? Hell no.

9. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Nov 12, 2005
    Louisiana
    They expect him to show remorse? All that would have done is make him look guilty.
    Don't rob people.

10. ncglock19

ncglock19

Jan 6, 2010
    Apex, NC
    :agree:

"According to prosecutors, Brady never showed any remorse or regret for the shooting."

Big Farking Deal. If I ever shoot someone robbing my house, I don't think I will feel remorse or regret. I will, however, mention that the robber made their own decision to rob someone, and they chose the wrong someone.

nc19

11. 10mmWendel

10mmWendel

Jul 13, 2010
    Texas
    Fair point haha

12. eb31

eb31 ANARCHY!

Sep 11, 2010
    TN
    Careful. Not showing remorse or regret for the taking of anothers life in defense of yourself might have some on this forum label you a psychopath.

In other news, I agree with you.

13. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    NJ
    First off you can't "rob" a house. You can burglarize one though. Second, where was it proven that the couple was there to "burglarize" it. Sounds like another hothead got what he deserved.

14. BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Glockalfeliac

Mar 21, 2007
    Feels like Mexico
    Sounds like a problem the police wouldn't help the homeowner with, so he (wrongly) took matters into his own hands. This might have been avoided if the previous robberies were dealt with. Brady should have waited until the others were in the home, then called the PD and used deadly physical force if the situation dictated.

15. Glock!9

Glock!9

Oct 5, 2001
    South Eastern PA
    The article says the police stated the couple was there to rob the place. Either the wife of the dead guy admitted to it or they had a track record of it. The guy had also been burglarized a few times in recent past.

16. Z28ricer

Z28ricer

Aug 4, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    While he shouldnt have gotten that, the law existed before he did it.

If you are going to use firearms for defense, of your person and/or property, know the laws and limits of doing so where you are.

17. Z28ricer

Z28ricer

Aug 4, 2005
    Tampa, FL

Did you actually even read the entire article ?

18. I think that brings back the old saying, "shoot 'em and drag them into the house".

19. Yes, that's true.

The police realized this AFTER the shooting, after the police IDed the couple, spoke to the surviving wife, searched their car, check open burglary cases , etc... The legal issue was whether the homeowner knew all this immediately before shooting.

Obviously the judge felt sympathy.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  20. reniram

reniram

Jan 28, 2011
    I was wondering that too. Even so that usually applies when an intruder is in the house, not necessarily on the property IIRC. I'm guessing this will be appealed especially if WA does have CD.