close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

VPN error 721 on authentication

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by gwalchmai, Aug 3, 2005.

1. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    I'm running Win2k RRAS hosting a VPN connection. It works fine with Win2K clients, but I have some, not all, Win Xp clients who get an error 721 - no response from server when they try to authenticate. I can connect with my Xp boxes from my house just fine. Apparently this is a known issue with Xp, and M$ has a registry fix that's supposed to help, but it doesn't.

Anybody have any experience with this?

2. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

Jun 24, 2002
    San Diego
    Try checking to make sure the windows firewall is turned off on those that are having issues?

3. Clyde

Clyde Lost in KY Millennium Member

Jan 28, 1999
    KY
    Is it safe to assume that you are able to connect from your house with another xp box. You may have already done the following.

the router has the PPTP enabled
    check the router settings and make sure TCP Port 1723, IP Protocol 47 (GRE) are opened

Update firmware on router (Assuming Home grade router)

Is there a Firewall other than the one on XP? Does it have ports open?

Forgot - What does the Event log on the RRAS server Say?????

4. Zak3056

Zak3056 NRA Life Member

Jul 29, 2001
    Greeneville, TN
    It might not be--the PPTP connection has its own firewall settings, and is turned on by deftault (regardless of whether the firewall is otherwise enabled or disabled)