close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vp-70

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by deadmanglocking, Jun 29, 2012.

1. deadmanglocking

deadmanglocking
    Expand Collapse

What do you guys think about the VP-70. I have one coming to me as part of an collection I will inherit. Never shot it but sounds like it could be a fun range toy.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Berto

Berto
    Expand Collapse
    woo woo

Heavy trigger, really fun with accessory stock. One of the REAL first polymer pistols.

#2 Berto, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  3. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

I'm assuming it's the Z model, not the M model.

In that case, they are interesting from a historical aspect, but not something I would own as a range or CCW gun.

4. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

IME one of the "Least fun" (due to the trigger) "range guns" ever. I wouldn't mind having one to keep Glock fanboys honest though:supergrin:

I would call it a "novelty" today.

5. deadmanglocking

deadmanglocking
    Expand Collapse

If it was the M model would it be legal to own as a non NFA if you didn't posses the stock? From my understanding you have to connect the stock to change the trigger group to burst capable. BTW it is the Z model not M

6. ronin.45

ronin.45
    Expand Collapse

All of these guys are correct. Trigger is garbage, but a neat gun.

7. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

The plastic is super cheesy. I bought one brand new for $300 back in the days at one of the pawn shops outside Ft. Campbell. Then sold it to another guy for $400 and used the fund to buy a Gen 1 Glock 17.

8. deadmanglocking

deadmanglocking
    Expand Collapse

I never intended to rely on this gun accept for a rec shooter. It is part of a 40 gun collection I am going to inherit and I was just curious. If you attached a stock to it it would become a ? sbr? Maybe? Anyone know?

9. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

If it were the proper model, and if you attached the factory stock it would then have a 3 rd burst capablity and be a classIII weapon.

10. deadmanglocking

deadmanglocking
    Expand Collapse

If it was a model M yes that would be correct. The stock has a small pin that inserts into the trigger group to change it to burst. I was wondering in adding the stock would make it a sbr

11. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

The Feds are funny about that. AFAIK you can SBR a rifle with proper paperwork but unless it is a proper antique, they have a "thing" about attaching a stock to a pistol.

#11 countrygun, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  12. CJStudent

CJStudent
    Expand Collapse
    Fenced In

That thing, last time I checked, was making it into an SBR. Same paperwork and process.

13. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't mind owning one as a collector's item. That's about it though.

14. deadmanglocking

deadmanglocking
    Expand Collapse

Well how much you want to spend?

15. chemcmndr

chemcmndr
    Expand Collapse

Attaching a stock to a handgun would be making an SBR. One rare exception would be some C&R guns like the Lugers that were issued with stocks, but they must be original stocks with the pistol, and not current reproductions.

SBRing a pistol is perfectly legal as long as you follow the correct procedures. I've turned two H&K MP5 clone pistols into SBR's. (while we're on the subject of H&K)

16. bigchuck83

bigchuck83
    Expand Collapse

i've been wanting a vp70z just for fun. and to annoy all the people i know that say glock was first. saw one at the last gunshow i attened for 550 with box and three mags.

17. Sniperfox

Sniperfox
    Expand Collapse
    Kopfjaeger

I had one back in the 80s and they had this reputation. If you had to throw a gun off of a mountain to your buddy down below, throw a VP70Z. It will survive the fall and fire everytime. LOL

Finding mags can be a pain these days though.

18. Caladan

Caladan
    Expand Collapse

They are fun to shoot, but only if you don't mind a heavy trigger pull. And I don't mean heavy. I mean heavy! My electronic trigger gauge won't even measure it. I think it's probably about 16-18 lbs. The sights are rather unusual as well, and don't work well in dim light. It is the only centerfire semi-auto that I"ve ever seen with a crossbolt safety.

Other than that, it is extremely reliable and accurate. Stiff recoil spring though, which it should be since it's a blowback action.

19. Jim Watson

Jim Watson
    Expand Collapse

NRA test reported that one way they made it run in blowback was cutting the rifling so deep as to allow significant windage (the old cannoneer's term, not deflection in aim) and bring down the pressure. And velocity, too, of course. They were getting under 1000 fps with 9mm hardball.

Strictly a novelty item these days.

My condolences on whoever passed that you are inheriting it and others from.

20. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

That's good to know, when I checked into it a few years ago the ATF drone I talked to said "no way, if it is a detachable stock that fits on a pistol unless it is one of the antiques" that you mentioned.

I was looking at doing it with a long barreled Ruger MKI as a trail gun.

#20 countrygun, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012