close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

VMware questions

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Nickotym, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Nickotym

Nickotym BillofNeeds?NO!

Nov 19, 2002
    The Land of the Free?
    I am looking to use VMware converter to make a virtual machine of my windows install so I can use it within linux without restarting.

Does anyone know how much space the virtual machine image will take up on a disk? I looked on the vmware converter faqs but couldn't find any info. I want to buy a usb stick to hold the image. I realize that it will depend on size of the drive in use, but how much will it compress the drive for the vm image?

Thanks to anyone who has info.

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I'm not that familiar w/ Vmware, but w/ Virtual Box, you basically create a "virtual drive"... so however big the virtual drive is, thats how much space it will take.

3. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Northern Virginia
    There are sort of two answers. The first is how much space the source volume needs and the second is how much you want the target volume to have.

The physical size of the virtual disk should be a little bit more than was used in the physical source. So if you are P2V'ing a disk that had 5GB used out of 50GB your virtual disk should be about 5-6GB.

Both VMWare and Virtual disk give you the option of thin or sparse provisioning or allocating all the physical space up front. Most people do the former.

-Stooxie

4. McJohnny

McJohnny The dude abides

Nov 20, 2008
    The Great White North
    When you do a convert, the converter wants to see enough free space on your system drive (where system temp space lives) to facilitate the size of the drive(s) on the system being virtualized.

In other words, if the system you are creating the vm image from has a 50 gig drive, you will need 50gig of available temp space.

Once the conversion is completed, the virutal disk image will be as large as the data on the system being converted, perhaps a bit less due to compression.

At least that's how it worked when the last time I did a similar conversion - about a year ago.

5. dt3ft

dt3ft Infidel (كافر)

Dec 28, 2010
    Germany, Europe
    Afaik you can decide that when creating the virtual disk. You can define and allocate the disk space or you can define a maximum size and it will grow depending on how much data you store in it.

6. Linux3

Linux3

Dec 31, 2008
    I have a Windows XP SP3 virtual drive and it's 8gigs. Why, because when I created the client that's the size I allocated.
    It has Office, Lotus Notes and a bunch of other stuff installed and 8 gigs is plenty of room.

Basically it's a file right?
    So after I created it I made a tar file of it.
    cd /VM
    tar cvf /<where I have the tar file>/winxp.tar /winxp
    After creating the virtual system you only need the player installed.
    The reason I made a tar file is because when the virtual XP gets full of cooties and such I just do:
    cd /VM
    sudo rm -rf /VM/winxp
    sudo tar xvf /<where I have the tar file/winxp.tar

And tada! I have a brand new Win XP SP 3.