close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Vista or Windows 7 ?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by rfrf, Jun 21, 2009.

1. rfrf

rfrf

Apr 28, 2008
    I am thinking about getting a new laptop computer. Should I get a Vista now or wait for the introduction of Windows 7 in October ? All of your respnses are greatly appreciated.

RF

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I just can't warm up to Vista( I did try... briefly), and have no experience w/ 7... I'd probably look at finding a good laptop w/ XP, then do a clean install of 7 when it comes out.

IGF

3. ARs&AKs

ARs&AKs NRA Life Member

Sep 7, 2002
    Arkansas
    Windows Vista was the technology disaster of the decade.

4. RDW

RDW BTDT

Mar 12, 2003
    PRK
    NO problems with VISTA 64B, or Office 07 here.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  5. bchandler

bchandler

Sep 8, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I don't have problems with Vista, but it is harder and less intuitive to use (Office 2007 vs Office 2003, anyone?). The platform itself if stable, though.

6. I like Vista, but have Win 7 on two machines and like it more.

7. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

May 16, 2006
    VA
    Office does not equal Vista. I have had no problems with ether Office 07 or Vista.

8. rfrf

rfrf

Apr 28, 2008
    Seems like a split decision ? How long would you wait for the bugs to be worked out of Windows 7 ?
    I do appreciate all of your input.

RF

9. gh0st614

gh0st614

May 4, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    windows 7 beta seemed more solid then vista ever did.

10. bchandler

bchandler

Sep 8, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I don't have a problem with Vista either, per se, it's just that some simple things seem more complicated in Vista. For instance, when needing to change something in the control panel, the icons and nomenclature in XP are such that it's easier to figure out where you need to go to change what you need to change. Also, I needed to change Vista from the "dummy" user format that is it's default to XP analogues to get any functionality out of it. For example, in the dummy default, when going into the control panel, it just asks you what you want to do, without giving you any real options. If your choice isn't on the simpleton list, you don't know what to do. But change the format to list or icons and it is like XP again and simple to use. Not to mention the UAC that was extremely annoying and, in my opinion, insulting.

So once someone has changed all the default new-computer-user options to something more functional, you basically have XP with a pretty face lift and more RAM requirement.

11. havensal

havensal Nozzle Jockey CLM

Aug 14, 2003
    Western, NY
    +1 to both!

7 is the bomb. :wavey:

12. cdemarse

cdemarse NRA Life Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Illinois
    Agreed. I hate it.

13. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

I have Vista x64 on two machines and Windows 7 x64 on another and while I don't have any complaints about Vista I really like Windows 7 a lot more.

14. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

Sep 7, 2001
    Kokomo Indiana
    I agree.

What was microsoft smoking when the did the user interface for Office 2007?

Also, some of the changes in Vista seem to be changes for the sake of change and not for any real technical reason.

15. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

I posted this a few minutes ago in another post but since you brought it up ...

Go here … http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/

… for some free Office 2007 add-ins that will replace the new ribbon and give you the "Classic" file menu from older versions of Office.

16. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

Dec 23, 2004
    Chandler, AZ
    I would recommend waiting for 7. Starting next month sometime, you will start seeing computers that are eligible for free upgrades to Windows 7.

17. quickcanary

quickcanary

Aug 19, 2007
    Windows 7 RC1 feels faster, more polished, and more stable than Vista. It lacks many of Vista's little annoyances and the changes that have been made seem to actually make sense.

In short, I would skip Vista since 7's improved performance should be noticeable on a laptop where performance is usually neutered a bit compared to desktops. But performance isn't the only reason I prefer 7; it really is more well thought out than Vista was.