Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

  • Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Visiting Cali

Discussion in 'California Glockers' started by akar52, Jul 21, 2008.

  1. akar52


    Aug 2, 2003
    Jacksonville, AR
    As a long time refugee from the Bay Area I visit from time to time. In the past I have taken only my firearms that held less than 10 rounds. This included a SKS that had the orginal 10 round fixed mag. I have since bought a SU 16 to take as 10 rounds mags are readily available. Is this rifle legal?

    Also if I were to take some OE mags can I break them down and just bring th in as prts till I again depart the peoples paradise? They would be kept seperate of each other then I can rebuild them when I'm gone.

    This info will determine what I bring on the trip which will be by car. We will be stopping over in the people friendly states like Arizona and Neveda. They are both legal for my Arkansas CHL.

    Thanks ahead for your replys, and apologies if I have upset anyone with my comments about California, which at one time was extremely people friendly.

    Stay Safe Archie
  2. Quiet

    Quiet Casino Goon

    Kel-Tec SU-16 is CA legal.

    Since, you are a former CA resident, did you live in CA before 2000?
    If so, you can return to CA with any large capacity magazine you owned while in CA.

  3. Cali-Glock

    Cali-Glock Mountain Man

    Feb 11, 2002
    California Sierra Mnts
    Don't want to be a party pooper, but how do you figure? I suppose your lawyer could make the case you are making... but the facts are he moved out of the state... he is returning for a visit... thus any mags he brings with him under the prohibition of importing "high cap" mags...

    :supergrin: I am sure when Mr. akar52 left California he foresaw that he would be returning to visit California now and again, or perhaps he might move back one day, so he he left a secure package with a friend or family member... this package had a number of personal items including all of the pre-Sept-94 normal cap mags he owned here in California prior to the 2000 ban. :whistling:

    If and when I ever move out of California, this is exactly what I intend to do... I have moved a number of my firearms to another state... but the "old" mags I left here in California... new mags were purchased in the other state for use of those guns in that state!
  4. nosuchagency

    nosuchagency ...

    Feb 3, 2006
    from kel tec site:
    SU-16CA Rifle: The SU-16CA Is a hybrid of the SU-16C and SU-16A, Most of the features of the C model are retained. The SU-16CA is equipped with the standard stock of the SU-16A rather than the folding stock of the C model. This allows for it to be purchased in most states that still have an "assault weapons ban".
  5. akar52


    Aug 2, 2003
    Jacksonville, AR
    No I have been away for a long time. Joined USAF in 1970. The real question I had was high cap mags dissasembled and parts seperated while in Calif. They will be put back when I get back to Neveda on my way home.
    This will decide which pistols I bring. As I have CHL I am legal to carry anywhere but in Calif. I normally carry a Glock 19 but like my Sig 226 for car carry. Other pistols will have to be brought or I can just use my Clinton mags that I have for both. It is just a shame to give up that extra comfort of more rounds available. So you see I can us regular mags for the traveling and switch to my 10 rounders while visiting. That is if I can break them down to parts legally. And the name is Archie.

    Thanks for the responce on the SU 16. There again I have to go with the Clinton mags. Ditto on the high caps that I have. It is good to live in a free state where we have rights.

    Stay Safe Archie
  6. vega


    Sep 29, 2001
    Not true...
    Kel-tec SU-16C and Kel-tec SU-16D are not CA legal. Check your facts before giving out advice.

    akar52 - If you have SU-16 other than the 2 mentioned above then you're good to go.
  7. Quiet

    Quiet Casino Goon

    The SU-16A, SU-16B and SU-16CA are CA legal as is.
    The SU-16C can be modified to be CA legal. Mod = fixing the stock in the open position.
    The SU-16D is a SBR and it would not be legal to transport it to CA without getting approval from the BATFE. Since possession of a SBR in CA requires a CA DOJ permit, BATFE will deny your request to transport the SU-16D to CA.