close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

VirtualBox FREE VMware like program

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by red devil, Apr 9, 2010.

1. red devil

red devil Ambassador 01

Apr 5, 2010
    Americas
    For all of you familiar with programs like VMware or Parallels there is another program out there called VirtualBox which provides pretty much the same capabilities. The great thing about VirtualBox is that it is free. If you aren't familiar with VirtualBox or VMware basically it is a software that you can install on you computer which will then let you boot up virtual PCs in another window. There are a lot benefits to using software like this. You can research it on the Internet if you wish. Anyhow I find it very very useful and have nothing but great experiences with it. It sure beats paying $189 for VMware workstation.

Cheers

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    ... Yeah, its been out for.. oh, 4-5yrs.. :)

Glad you found it and you like it.

IGF

3. area727

area727 G23

Oct 7, 2009
    I dont like how the free version of virtualbox has no USB support, pretty annoying. Thats why I run VMware Player (which is free, you just cant create virtual machines with it, but there are other ways create machines for free for use with VMware Player). Otherwise I found virtualbox to be OK.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    To my knowledge, there is not a version of Vbox that you have to pay for. They do have a "Free"(as in thought) version in which the source code can be modified. That's the OSE... and you're right, at this time, it does not have USB support.

Installing the "Non-Free" version.. adds USB support, but it does not require you buy it. Non-Free simply means you cannot modify the source code. It works really well, I've used it for a while to run XP on my main PC. I've used it to Sync Ipods and other things that require USB.

IGF

5. area727

area727 G23

Oct 7, 2009
    I thought you had to buy it. Well thats cool...I dont need to modify any source code. I'll have to look into it again.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Again, not to my knowledge.. I use it under Linux, and I simply added the Debian Lenny repo to my source list, downloaded and registered the Sun public key, then installed it. Pure speculation on my part, but I chose to download the MS "non-free" version, and it linked me directly to an .exe to download... so I would assume it doesn't cost anything either... Link below is for the Linux versions of the "Non-Free" version.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  7. area727

area727 G23

Oct 7, 2009
    Thanks for the link. I'll tinker with it tomorrow. As I'm sure you've noticed, I'm probably still considered a bit of a noob with linux, trying to fumble my way around.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    We all had to start somewhere.. :)

IGF

9. area727

area727 G23

Oct 7, 2009
    Ok, maybe not a complete newbie, but amateur. ;)

10. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

Jan 19, 2009
    Arlington, VA
    i use virtual box. i have used vm server and workstation for years. But vm server sucks, and i didn't want to pay for vm workstation for home use..so i discovered virtual box ahile ago too. I feel like sometimes Vmware is a little bit better, but it is free..and it is better than vm server.

11. Kevin108

Kevin108 HADOKEN!

Mar 2, 2005
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I don't know why yours doesn't work but that statement is not true. My keyboard and mouse are both USB and both work just fine in VirtualBox.

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    On the OSE version, USB does not work.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Editions

A support thread on the issue...

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22174