Glock Talk banner

Virginia Gun Stores

64K views 98 replies 76 participants last post by  lcsmall 
#1 ·
I know that we GTOD'ers are scattered clear across the Commonwealth, but we do on occasion get out of our normal areas. As part of that sight-seeing, most of us want to know where the good gun stores are, like the post this week on whether Green Top is worth a stop. Heck, I have to go to Richmond next week, I'm curious about other stores in the area.

Anyone want to volunteer to run it up?

#77 ·
Just used Fish Safari in Virginia Beach to do a firearms transfer today. They are an FFL and only charge a $15 transfer fee. Service was awesome and I was in and out in 10 minutes after paperwork and background check. I shopped around and they had the cheapest transfer fee compared to others.

#79 ·
MC Leather
http://www.mc-leather.com/
I'd post an address, but he's moved twice this year and I don't have his new address (behind the cabinet shop on the opposite corner of 221 & Enterprise Dr). His selection is a little smaller, but he's a C3 dealer that tries to stock YHM suppressors. I'm in paperwork stage of purchasing one from him. His prices are the best around, for the most part. $10 transfers, even for C3 (at least that's what he told me). Seems nice enough, but I've heard stories about his special orders not going so smoothly. He usually has some of the best prices at gun shows.
It is now called "Pro's Choice Sporting Goods". The address is 173 Vista Centre Dr, Forest, VA 24551. Phone is 434-239-3044. I've been in there a couple of times and they just recently transitioned to a new FFL. The owner told me that their old price for LE Glocks was $370 which I have never seen lower anywhere. Currently they are not participating in the program because the new FFL has to be an authorized Glock dealer for 6 months before they will be eligible. I'll definitely be picking up another few guns at that price when they get going again.

#81 ·
If you're ever in Southwest VA pay a visit to:

Colgard Outdoor Sports
600 Park Avenue Northeast
Norton, VA 24273-1111
(276) 679-1728

Great local shop with a wide variety of products.

#82 ·
It is now called "Pro's Choice Sporting Goods". The address is 173 Vista Centre Dr, Forest, VA 24551. Phone is 434-239-3044. I've been in there a couple of times and they just recently transitioned to a new FFL. The owner told me that their old price for LE Glocks was $370 which I have never seen lower anywhere. Currently they are not participating in the program because the new FFL has to be an authorized Glock dealer for 6 months before they will be eligible. I'll definitely be picking up another few guns at that price when they get going again.
The guy from MC Leather sold out to Pro's Choice. They're not affiliated with him. He actually screwed me on a silencer purchase. Would hate to actually associate Pro's Choice with him.

#83 · (Edited)
Virginia Pistol

Located in linden Va just east of Front Royal on Rt 55 Great deals on all Glocks store is small the guys are friendly and helpful will give you all the time you need.

#84 ·
Just used Fish Safari in Virginia Beach to do a firearms transfer today. They are an FFL and only charge a $15 transfer fee. Service was awesome and I was in and out in 10 minutes after paperwork and background check. I shopped around and they had the cheapest transfer fee compared to others.
+1. Great place with good people as well. :thumbsup:

#85 ·
I was in Manassas to pick up some washing machine repair parts and noticed two doors down was Hatfiled's Gunsmithing. Went in (of course), nice group of guys, small shop - but - they had flyers for their hosted pin and plate shoots at Fairfax Rod & Gun Club and several Glock race guns in the showroom. I gathered their main income is from custom work/builds (Glocks and 1911's - hard to tell which is a heavier focus, if either). They have a MILO simulator they demonstrated for me (uhhh...yeah - need to get one of those in-home - somewhere between $8k and $38k from the searches I did). No shooting range at the main site. Inventory was pure custom work and Condor bits and pieces. Owner is purported (no reason to disbelieve, but I haven't done due diligence) to be former armorer for US Army 1911, team USA members, etc.

Again - nice group of guys, talked with a couple of them at length about local 3-gun opportunities, utility of MILO simulator, etc. No BS, just straight talk and no opinion - just fact. That alone is reason to return.

#86 ·
Adding a few more Richmond area stores that I didn't see posted or did not have full info.

Southern Police Equipment (AKA Southern Gun World)
7609 Midlothian Turnpike
Richmond, VA 23235
800-542-5243
Southern Police Equipment
Right across from the VSP headquarters, they have a huge focus on LE contracts and equipment. But not too much in the way of hunting. But still, all the tacticool toys! They often have good sales on LE buyback firearms.

Town Police Supply
3541 Courthouse Road
Richmond, VA 23236
800-443-8871 or 804-745-6433
(There is a second location at 3985 Virginia Avenue, Collinsville, VA 24078. 800-752-5580 or 276-647-4161
Town Police Supply
The Chesterfield location is hidden behind the Regency Inn and Suites at the corner of Hull and Courthouse. This is another gun store that focuses on LE contracts. Years ago I felt very unwanted there when I browsed, but now they are a very friendly store to be in.

Green Top
10150 Lakeridge Parkway
Ashland, VA 23005
804-550-2188
Green Top
I remember when the staff was quaking in their boots because Bass Pro and Gander Mountain were opening stores right on top of them. But they outlasted Gander Mountain and took over that location! (My GPS still takes me to their Route 1 location, oddly enough.) This store focuses on hunting and fishing, but they also have a great selection of pistols and rifles for home defense and competition shooting. If you want to modify your AR, odds are that they have the parts in stock. There is a reason they are standing toe to toe with Gander and Bass Pro.

Bass Pro
11550 Lakeridge Parkway
Ashland, VA 23005
804-496-4700
Bass Pro
It's Bass Pro. What can I say? This place is like an amusement park, and I keep going back for more. I have spent so much money here... But very little on firearms. It just sucks you in.

Bob Moates Sport Shop
10418 Hull Street Road
Midlothian, VA 23112
804-276-2293
Bob Moates Sport Shop
Bob has since passed on, but his wife runs the place. It is the place to go to get a reproduction firearm (especially for American Civil War reenactments) or an older firearm. There is a huge selection of used firearms. They have a nice selection of black rifles behind the counter, but if they are busy then it's difficult to get someone to help you. It used to be a quiet shop and now it's always busy.

Rebel Sporting Goods, Ltd
115 King Street
Keysville, VA 23947
434-736-8248
Rebel Sporting Goods
I would be remiss if I did not mention Bob Moates second location. As I understand they are under new management, so I can not tell you much about the place. (I believe the "second" shop used to be in the area of Charlotte Courthouse.)

DeGoff's
8106 Mechanicsville Turnpike
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
804-746-0273
DeGoff's
This is the store that I purchased my first firearm from, which was a used pre-ban Glock 17 with three magazines. (The ban was still in effect at the time.) And the price was comparable to a new capacity compliant Glock. DeGoff's is a big supporter of the Cowboy Action shooting in the area, and you can get a lot of your equipment and clothes here.

Richmond Arsenal
2570 New Market Road
Suite E
Richmond, VA 23231
804-237-4289
email: hutch72 @outlook.com
New place. Small, limited selection on firearms. But the prices seem good and he has a bit of ammo for sale. (No limits on .22, which is in stock.) He offers $27 firearms transfers.

#88 ·
Hopkin's Gun and Tackle
8151 Mechanicsville Turnpike
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
(804) 277-8423

This store is located just a stones throw from Degoff's. The rumor is that it is owned by the previous owner of Green Top. (Didn't bother asking to confirm this.) The front half of the shop is dedicated to fishing. The back half is dedicated to ammo and firearms. I felt that they had a good selection of ammo. Plus it was nice that they had plenty of bulk 9mm and 5.56. Their firearms selection was OK, but it seemed a little sparse as compared to Degoff's. They apparently intend to put in an indoor shooting range in the next year.

#90 ·
Gilbert's is now Sharpshooters. They had some ffl problems and changed their name a few years ago. Still seem to be a good group of guys.

Northern Virginia

(with acknowlegement to VA Fish)

Gilberts Small Arms
8194-M Terminal Road
Lorton, VA 22079
(703) 550-8005
http://www.gilbertrange.com
Indoor 25 yard range

Shooters Paradise
13979 Jefferson Davis Highway
Woodbridge, VA 22191
NO LONGER IN BUSINESS

Dawsons in Woodbridge
14510 Jefferson Davis Hwy
Woodbridge, VA 22191
(703) 490-3308

Quantico Arms
14085 Crown Court
Woodbridge, VA 22193
(703) 897-1111

Quantico Arms
253 Potomac Ave
Quantico, VA 22134
(703) 630-2715
http://www.quanticoarms.com

Blue Ridge Arsenal
14725 K Flint Lee Rd.
Chantilly, VA 20151
(703) 818-0230
Indoor 25 yard range

Gander Mountain
3708 Plank Rd
Fredericksburg, VA 22407
(540) 548-1330

Dominion Arms
7549 Centreville Rd
Manassas, VA 20111
(703) 330-2772

Guns and Ammo Warehouse
10981 Nokesville Road
Manassas, Virginia
703-365-9941
Contact Us At: sales@guns-ammo.us
Wilson Combat dealer

Virginia Arms
9760 Center St
Manassas, VA 20110
(703) 368-3949
http://www.virginiaarms.com
Great bunch of guys to work with

Loudoun Guns
302 B Industrial Ct SE
Leesburg, VA 20175
(703) 771-7479

Clark Brothers
10016 James Madison Hwy
Warrenton, VA 20186
(540) 439-8988
http://www.clarkbrosguns.com
Outdoor range for pistol, rifle and shotgun (must buy ammo and targets there to shoot)

#94 ·
Town Police Supply on Rt 220 in Collinsville, VA

They treat customers like real people, with respect and none of the 'elitism' I've seen in other stores. Always willing to anser questions, even stupid ones without treating the asker like an idiot.
HUGE selection, Police/LE Discounts and s 'special room of goodies' for Police, Military, Emergency Response and the like.

#95 ·
RVA Shooters Supply
8736 Landmark Road
Henrico, VA 23228
804-625-7468

This is a "new to me" gun shop. I'm used to Green Top, so it looked really small to me. They did have a bit of AR uppers and accessories. The guy working there said that they were the store that made Henrico overturn it's ban on gun stores. I can neither confirm nor deny it but I remember for the longest time that you either had to go to Hanover or Chesterfield for anything firearms related.

#96 ·
Town Police Supply on Rt 220 in Collinsville, VA

They treat customers like real people, with respect and none of the 'elitism' I've seen in other stores. Always willing to anser questions, even stupid ones without treating the asker like an idiot.
HUGE selection, Police/LE Discounts and s 'special room of goodies' for Police, Military, Emergency Response and the like.
I can attest to all that was said, is true, IMO. These guys are GREAT! :supergrin:

#98 · (Edited)
Clark Bro's in Opal, Fauquier Co., is actually in the Northern Piedmont - we who live there like to think that's not "Northern Virginia". I'd point out as well that there's Tony Wilcox on Fifth St. in Warrenton, who does a big business in antiques and used firearms (I joke with him about how if it was made after the Napoleanic Wars, he doesn't have it) - but seriously he always has a nice stock of the classics. And there's a brand new shop just opened up on the other side of Main Street, around the corner from Harvest Bakery, also in Warrenton, called "High Flyers"; a very nice, but small shop with good prices - the owners have "day jobs", so they tend to be there evenings and weekends. Also, about halfway between New Baltimore and Warrenton on Mill Run Rd. (off of Dumfries Rd. Rt 605), there's Berny Hostrop. Berny's been a gunsmith, I think, since they first invented the rifled bore, and he keeps a few interesting items available for sale, mostly revolvers and bolt-action rifles.

In Prince William Co., there's a new gun shop that just opened up at the intersection of Vint Hill Rd. and Lee Highway (rt 29); mostly catering to the tactical black gun crowd. Sorry, can't remember the name off the top of my head. And I would recommend Virginia Arms Co. in Manassass on Rt. 28 Bus. just W. of the Pr. Wm. Co. Courthouse. Most competitive prices on new guns, and always a fair deal. And Sam Hatfield's "Hatfield's Gunsmiffin' " shop also in Manassas has a limited supply of things to sell - but he's an outstanding gunsmith, particularly with automatics and semiautomatics. Guns & Ammo Warehouse on the other side of the street from Va. Arms and a little farther west, has a good supply of clothing, holsters, belts and stuff as well as the usual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.