close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Virginia CHP in Arlington

Discussion in 'Glockers of the Old Dominion' started by M&P15T, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Yep, tiny Arlington (rejected by DC and given back to VA) is the smallest self-governing county in the US, and it contains no cities. It used to be officially called Alexandria County to confuse the yankees.

Adjacent Alexandria is an independent city which is not located within a county.

The 800 lb gorilla Fairfax County surrounds all of the above, choking the very life out of it.

2. bustedknee

bustedknee Curmudgeon

Aug 1, 2001
    Wythe County, VA
    Seems like every time I turn around I am required to take another training class.

Most recently, I completed my VA Boating course.
    I've had hunter education, Archery Permit training, Bear Baiting class, Muzzle Loader Certification, Self Defense, Arctic Survival, and the list goes on! :headscratch:

What a big pain in the big A. But you know what? Other than learning being fun,
    I learned something useful every time! :shocked:

You can't have too much Self Defense training. I recommend you take at least one real class even if it is after you get your permit. :thumbsup:

The very first Permit class I took was in Alaska and a lawyer taught a portion of the course. That in itself was worth the price of admission.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

3. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Northern Virginia
    Fairfax does not require any such fingerprints or passport photos for a CHP and the sheriff('s office) signs off on a Form 4 with no problems.

Fairfax may be turning purple but it's nowhere near as blue as Arlington.

-Stooxie

4. ProactiveShooters

ProactiveShooters President / CFI

Jan 5, 2009
    Richmond, Va.
    This.

5. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    As I've said a few times now, I took a similar course in Michigan to get my CPL the first time. I just needed a stupid piece of paper to get my VA CHL.

6. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    It's only been 4 weeks?

Stiiiiiill waiting.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  7. watsoncb

watsoncb CLM

Dec 31, 2006
    Falls Church
    A small point to consider, many of us have noticed that when court clerks sense any "attitude" when filing or calling about your CHP paperwork seems to decrease the pace of getting the permit. Especially in Arlington.

:faint:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  8. trajan07

trajan07 dimly lit

Oct 31, 2009
    NoVA, USA
    Thanks for posting your experience. If I end up getting stuck here for another year, I'll be jumping through the same hoops.

9. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Well, 45 days are past, no CHP...

I'm on the phone with the County Clerk's office, and the woman said their permits are taking "waaaay more than 45 days".

So, she told me that my temporary permit will be mailed to me next week.

10. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    I picked it up this past Tuesday, the 1st of May.

Not too long of a wait.

Kinda weird, I haven't carried in close to a year after carrying everywhere but at work for 7 years in Michigan.

11. edcrosbys

edcrosbys

Aug 22, 2007
    VA
    I wouldn't recommend using your DD214 to get you permit in VA. The information on it becomes public knowledge through FOIA!

This is a pretty good site if you need to know anything about carrying in or around va!
    http://www.vcdl.org/static/ccw.html

12. MikeB2

MikeB2

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    Just got my permit today, applied for it Oct. 11th. I took the NRA basic pistol class given by the local gun club. BTW I live in Gloucester country.

13. Which is a shame, because I grew up there in the 60's and 70's, when it was red. Actually, the late 70's saw it starting to go more blue. It's now, little more than a DC wannabe. As one of the few remaining people selling guns there described it, the "People's Republic".

14. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE

Feb 6, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Hope its because there are tons of people CCWing, rather than Arlington showing solidarity with gun controllers by slowing it down.
    Doing my 3rd renewal next week.

15. furioso2112

furioso2112

Dec 12, 2007
    I see this was a year old (nearly), but I did the same thing - had MI CPL for years, moved to FFX CO (just outside FFX city), application and issuance was no biggie.

16. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE

Feb 6, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Wife just called after 52 days.
    They said 60-90 days.
    When she said she wanted a temporary, they said No.
    My renewal is due next week and my current expires in 3 weeks and I damned if I'm going to go without a CCW because these libs want to slow roll.

17. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Northern Virginia
    I just can't get on board with this. I dropped off two SBR Form 1s at the Sheriff's office last week and had them signed and returned within 72 hours.

That, my friend, is not the sign of a Kommieville. Plenty of new gun stores have opened up here in the past few years. We have FFLs all over the dang county, including Vienna and Oakton.

NOT saying there isn't need for vigilance, and I CANNOT believe Gerry Connolly squeaked by another election, but IMHO Fairfax County is doing just fine.

-Stooxie

18. Big difference between Fairfax County and Arlington County.

I think the only gun shop in Arlington is crummy pawn shop on Lorcum Lane & Lee Hwy, but I hope I'm wrong.

19. edcrosbys

edcrosbys

Aug 22, 2007
    VA
    I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed to say No.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308
    VCDL recommends contacting this gentleman, if there is any issue with the above (with all pertinent info):
    Chief Justice
    Supreme Court of Virginia
    100 North Ninth Street, Fifth Floor
    Richmond, VA 23219

Here's a bit more info:
    http://www.vcdl.org/chp

20. ProactiveShooters

ProactiveShooters President / CFI

Jan 5, 2009
    Richmond, Va.

They are breaking the law with that nonsense.