close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Video of cop planting drugs on victim

Discussion in 'Civil Liberties Issues' started by cldbase, Feb 27, 2008.

1. cldbase

cldbase

Feb 22, 2005
    NW
    http://www.wsmv.com/news/15370841/detail.html?rss=nash&psp=news

Dash cam video embedded in link.

Story below:

COOKEVILLE, Tenn. -- A lawsuit was filed on Thursday accusing Cookeville police of “excessive use of force” and “planting contraband" during a domestic assault arrest last year.

Related: Raw Video | Video

One officer has been placed on leave because of the incident, and five others are named in the federal lawsuit.

Police car video from the Cookeville Police Department captured the incident that triggered the lawsuit.

On the night of June 4, 2007, Carlos Ferrell was stopped by police on a domestic assault warrant. According to the lawsuit, Ferrell's ex-wife, Tiffany, saw Ferrell, called police and was involved in the initial chase.

Once Ferrell came to a stop, he was ordered out of the car by Cookeville police Officer Chris Melton.

“Put your hands up, and get out of the car,” Melton is heard telling Ferrell on the tape.

Ferrell, 28, exits the car with his arms raised while Officer Jeff Johnson is holding the department’s police dog. The video shows the dog bite Ferrell several times.

Attorney Blair Durham is representing Ferrell.

“The dog is released. The dog then chews into Mr. Ferrell's leg where, of course, he goes to the ground,” he said.

"Your dog just ate my leg off,” Ferrell said on the tape.

Durham also accused Melton of planting drugs on Ferrell. In the dash cam video, Melton is seen searching Ferrell's pockets a number of times.

Then, Durham said, another officer appears to give a signal with his hand, at which point Melton then reaches into his right pocket and looks into the camera. It’s at that point on the tape that Durham said Melton appears to put drugs in Ferrell's pocket.

“Whoa, Carlos, weed? Now you got you another freaking charge, how about that?" Melton told Ferrell in the video.

Melton has been placed on administrative leave with pay. The night of the stop, Ferrell was charged with evading arrest and possession of marijuana.

“That’s a complete drug plant is what I'm alleging. It’s a complete unlawful search, first of all, and it’s a planting of paraphernalia,” Durham said.

Cookeville police said they are "completely cooperating with the TBI (Tennessee Bureau of Investigation)." A representative said the department is not trying to hide anything and doesn’t want to look like it is.

Police took Ferrell to an area hospital for treatment of his injuries. Durham said Ferrell is no choir boy but that he's never been arrested on violent offenses.

According to his record, Ferrell has two DUIs and a previous drug possession charge.

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01

Apr 14, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Looks like a plant to me. The perp was searched several times prior and now the pot shows up? This either means the officer hasn't a clue how to do a search or that he planted it. From the look of the vid, he's got guilty written all over him.

As for excessive use of force, all I see is the vid. I don't know what went on before the stop, and what the GF might have said on the phone when calling the police, so I dunno.

Cop seemed pretty excited to find weed on the perp.

3. bwphoto

bwphoto Lifetime Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Took the words outta my mouth.

4. Clyde in CO

Clyde in CO LOL WUT?

Aug 7, 2002
    the Springs
    The police removed a lowlife scumbag from the streets. Who cares how they did it? The end result is what counts. Honest citizens that have nothing to hide also have nothing to fear from the police.

The force they used looked fine to me. Police officers have an extremely high stress job. Any amount of force should be allowed to insure officer safety. The rights of a person are not as important as making sure an officer goes home safe at the end of his shift.

Next time they should turn the camera off and just shoot him. Camera was malfunctioning, and he charged the officers. Same end result, scumbag off the streets.. but without the mess of an embarrassing lawsuit.

How dare these lawyers and reporters question the motives and procedures of our heroic protectors while selfishly basking under the umbrella of protection they provide?

5. Tareeka Babooga

Tareeka Babooga NRA Aware

Nov 13, 2007
    www.nrawol.net
    Isn't this the police dept involved in the shooting of that innocent families dog a couple years ago? The father left his wallet on the car when he filled up and it led to a felony stop with guns drawn and put on innocent citizens. Their camera's were coveniently not turned on at that time. It always made me wonder why they had cameras in their vehicles, but did not keep them on. Back then, it was said their cars didn't have the electrical capacity to run the cameras and lights, which begs the question why they would mismatch a camera and electrical system.

If this is the same dept, they have a history of shady behavior that goes back farther than shooting that dog.

But I've been hearing of drop guns and drop bags forever.

6. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Nov 17, 2006
    God's Country (Texas)
    Dude, you really need the sarcasm emoticon.:supergrin:

7. GLOCK_27

GLOCK_27 NRA Member

Nov 27, 2007
    NE Ohio
    HAHAHAHAHAHAH why would u look in the camera then plant the weed? that guy and the cop who beat that Little skateboarder up probably are best friends

8. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

May 10, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Maybe it will be you they plant drugs on next:upeyes:

EDITED TO ADD: I THINK YOU ARE BEING SARCASTIC..

9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01

Apr 14, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Yes, likely for a little while.

I don't even have to address that, as everyone can see for themselves the type of person you are by that statment.

Pretty ironic statement considering the main premise of this thread is the possibility of an officer planting pot on a man.

I do tend to agree with this, but this doesn't mean that officers should be breaking someone's nose with a baton because they ask "why did you pull me over?"

Like I said I didn't see what transpired prior to the police showing up... The amount of force could easily have been warranted. Maybe not. Planting pot on someone was NOT warranted under any circumstance.

Well maybe the next officer that pulls you over for speeding should flick his camera power off and use his time to **** with you? After all he's had a rotten day and doesn't like the color of your car... And someone called 911 and said you flipped them off in a road rage incident.... Maybe even have you out on the street, face in the asphalt, cuffed. After all you were caught speeding, you're a roadrager, you're a scumbag... The means doesn't matter, just the end... You said it yourself.

No I didn't read your entire post before replying and after reading this last statement of yours, I'm thinking your entire post was written with a sarcastic tone. Oops:rofl:

10. bakerj

bakerj

Jan 31, 2003
    illinois
    Lets sprinkle some crack on him and get outta here:supergrin:

11. digthisbigcrux

digthisbigcrux stooge

Sep 9, 2006
    Washington
    I almost called bull****, then I remembered to turn my sarcasm detector back on.

Good Post!

12. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Yes thank goodness they planted a baggie of weed on him to get him off the street, it's not like the WARRANT for his arrest and his attempting to evade arrest were enough to put him in jail right? :rofl:

And afterall the accusations must be true his lawyer says so, the same Lawyer that claims the search was illegal. a search subsequent to him being picked up on a warrant and for attempting to evade arrest. :upeyes:

Now I don't know if they planted a baggie of pot on him or not, and neither does anyone else offering an opinion here. but it would be pretty silly for them to do so. a baggie of pot isn't going to add much of anything to the arrest on a warrant and for attempting to evade arrest.

I am always suspicious of lawsuits filed without ever a complaint being made to the Dept. or another agency ( like the FBI) because generally people who go that route know they don't have a real case and DON'T want a finding saying their claims are BS. it looks bad to the jury in the civil case. And if your goal is MONEY you certainly don't want a DA's office or the FBI raining on your parade.

13. Minuteman

Minuteman Jeff Gannon???

WWWHAATTT???!!!!

[​IMG]

14. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    How inconvenient for the cop conspiracy theorists.

15. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    COOKEVILLE, Tenn. -- A man has now admitted to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation that he had drugs with him the night he was pulled over by Cookeville police.

:wavey:

Hi, guys. Plenty of room for various retractions and mea culpae below. Who's going first?
    (Unkempt1 only gets partial credit for editing his post. How's the trust-meter?)

16. GWSHARK

GWSHARK BITEYAHEADOFF

Feb 12, 2002
    QUARREL REEF
    Ok... I'll go first.

Still fishy!

17. unkempt1

unkempt1

Sep 14, 2005
    NOVA
    I have to agree. how many times do you have to feel the pocket on soft side shorts to find a bag of weed.

It looked strange. wonder if a plea was a part of the confession.
    plea to the pot we'll drop yadda yadda.