close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

*Video* Ga. Trooper Had 20 Accidents, 7 His Fault, Before Fatal Wreck!

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ULVER, Jan 7, 2012.

1. ULVER

ULVER Dixie Rebel

Jan 8, 2001
    ATL., GA. USA
  2. EMTCOP

EMTCOP

Jun 30, 2008
    It appears that something like this was inevitable, given his driving history. A lot of agencies look closely at an applicant's driving record during the pre-employment background investigation, and for good reason.
    If one can't act responsibly while operating a private vehicle, chances are
    that one won't act responsibly when operating an emergency vehicle. I won't even address how irresponsible it would be to arm someone like this
    with a firearm.

3. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    We have had a couple of guys get "assigned" to bike patrol just for this reason.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  4. vanilla_gorilla

vanilla_gorilla

May 31, 2005
    Florida
    With seven at-fault accidents in ten years, this guy would have been looking for a new job long ago around here.

5. Twenty accidents since he was hired in 2002?

My guess is that the only reason he kept his job this long is because he, or his family, has ties with an influential person.

6. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    In MI, bikes still have to obey all traffic laws, are considered vehicles just like cars... :tongueout::rofl: just messing with you, I get what you were getting at..

Randy

7. Roadkill_751

Roadkill_751 5 or 6 rounds?

Aug 29, 2005
    North Georgia
    I am sure if it wasn't a well known person he hit, the Trooper might have got him a new assignment way down in south Georgia. Just saying....

8. Panzergrenadier1979

Panzergrenadier1979 Keystone Cop

Jan 16, 2009
    Central Pennsylvania
    Our chief has been rotating our officers thru EVOC over the past year. I was naive enough to be surprise to see most of the officers in the class were there for "punishment" after having wrecked a patrol car.

9. merlynusn

merlynusn

Nov 16, 2007
    NC
    If we are involved in an accident that is determined to be our fault, we have to go through a driver training block which concentrates on what caused your accident. If you back into something, you spend a lot of time backing, etc.

If they have witnesses who say the car didn't even slow down for the red light, he's toast. I'd expect to see criminal charges of involuntary manslaughter come up. If he did show due regard, then I don't see any criminal charges and he'll just stay fired.

But yeah, 20 accidents in 10 years is a lot. Especially with 5 at fault accidents since 2008. Everyone is going to be in an accident at some time in their career.

10. Same here. In Washington, even on-duty collisions go on your driving because we had a couple of d-bags that were bad drivers, killing some folks and creating legislation.

11. With us, people used to get sent to refresher EVOC only after an accident. Within the last year (?), supervisors are suppose to continually evaluate all their people's driving and where required, can send anyone for a refresher EVOC.

12. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Two at fault accidents in two days and he still had a job?

He must have been protected by the prince of darkness himself.

13. vanilla_gorilla

vanilla_gorilla

May 31, 2005
    Florida

I was working dispatch for the Sheriff's Office several years ago. One of the shift sgts was sitting in there BSing with us when her phone rang. One of the particularly bad drivers had backed into a culvert. [facepalm]

She had him on speakerphone and we were all laughin in the background, but he was so scared that he didn't have a clue. He asked, "Are you going to recommend they fire me this time, sarge?" She never missed a beat. "They didn't fire you the last time I recommended you be fired. Why would this time be any different?"

:rofl:

14. The prince has some serious pull. :supergrin:

15. 9jeeps

9jeeps Still Jeepin

May 22, 2004
    PNW
    Was this Wreck on Wheels, one of those 'Good Ole Boys'?

16. G27Chief

G27Chief Lifetime Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Southwestern Gawjaw
    Let's say I was hesitant to read this thread, however curiosity got the best of me. This Trooper is a close personal friend of mine, and he and his family are going through pure hell right now.

He does not have "connections" in the old boy network. He as a matter of fact, he worked his way up to priority 1 in the last Corporal assessment. This in spite if past discipline for accidents, the details of which I do not recall enough about to elaborate.

I will not hazard a guess as to the outcome of this, and am not knowledgeable in Donald's punishments in the disciplinary history. I am awaiting the final investigative report. I am only wondering if the high amount of activity in Atlanta could have reference to the the number of collisions were results of chases and them comming to abrupt ending by violator crashing, etc. He is my friend, and I feel obligated not to add to the speculation, and damnation of the media, as I would for any friend.

This is tragic, for all the Porter's, as well as the Crozier family, and I will continue to pray for all.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  17. Wonder140

Wonder140

Mar 20, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    You wouldn't last past maybe 3 at faults at my agency. The brass think there is absolutely no reason for an at fault accident...none. I would tend to agree. Not at fault is different though. You can't control others driving. I have been lucky and never been in an accident on our off duty. Knock on wood lol.

I would agree with 4949 in that he probably has some ties with someone for this to have not at the very least put him behind a desk. This guy has liability written all over and I'm really surprised that he is still driving an agency vehicle.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  18. phuzz01

phuzz01

May 16, 2001
    New Hampshire
    I personally do not put a lot of stock in the "# of accidents" in a personnel file. First, if he was not at fault in thirteen of them, I do not see how can you possibly hold any of those against him. My last cruiser accident, I was parked in the driveway of a suspect, collecting my case file and notebook for an interview. All of a sudden, the garage door opens, and his teenaged brother backs out of the garage without looking right into the side of my cruiser. I don't think that says anything about my driving skills, yet it is in my personnel file as a cruiser accident.

For the ones that were at fault, I am more interested in the circumstances than the number. If he had multiple crashes that were a result of unreasonable speed or not stopping at red lights, that is one thing. But at my agency, you get an at fault cruiser accident if you ding your side view mirror while backing into your garage or a deer runs into the road in front of you.

19. G27Chief

G27Chief Lifetime Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Southwestern Gawjaw
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  20. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Jan 2, 2007
    Sorry to hear that Chief. However, the fact remains that this guy was reckless. Two at-fault collisions in two days? Why was he still employed? This guy at a minimum should have been riding a desk. That **** can't fly.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012