Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Vest for ride along?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by johnluger, May 17, 2012.

1. johnluger

Aug 26, 2008
    Boynton Beach FL
    I have a few more ride a long's before the start of my Academy, and wanted to know if I would be out of line if I wore a concealable armor vest? I figure this is the best place to ask, I don't want to look like an ass wearing a vest if I am not a cop. Most of the departments allow me to exit the vehicle with the officer to calls but not in progress calls. Some of the areas that we patrol are deep in the ghetto. Most of the time when we interact with people they talk to me as if I where the detective on scene.
  2. Yes, by all means...I would.....

3. kayl

Nov 14, 2004
    SE WI
    Granted, I was a non-sworn departmental employee when I did all my ride-alongs, but I always wore a vest. You might want to ask in advance- I'd say something along the lines of, "A friend of mine gave me his old/spare vest to wear during the ride along- is that ok?"

If you show up unannounced wearing a vest, that seems whackerish to me :)
  4. I don't think it'd be out of line at all.
  5. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Just wear it concealed and you'll be fine.
  6. ottomatic

Oct 15, 2002
    SW Tennessee
    I offer all my ride-alongs one. I use my spare one or my wife's.
  7. Calico Jack

Calico Jack NO QUARTER

Apr 11, 2010
    The High Seas
    During my internship I went on many ride a longs and was required to wear a vest, provided by the department. If you have your own I would definitely wear it... preferably concealed.
  8. Ewalk

Feb 16, 2010
    I don't think it is out of line but expect to get your Ballz busted if the officers see it. If I saw it I would tell u to get on your face and knock out 10 for every pound that vest weighs. But that is what u got to expect from LEOs. Good luck in the academy.
  9. johnluger

Aug 26, 2008
    Boynton Beach FL
    Thanks, I thought I would end up looking like an Imbecile.
  10. lloydchristmas

lloydchristmas 132 and Bush

May 22, 2010
    I would wear it if I were you. As stated before, wear it concealed. That's not whacker-ish. I suggest not wearing a duty belt with radio holder, oc pouch, and glove pouch, etc.... Cuz that's a whacker, and we'll talk about what a tool you are at length when you're not around. We might even mention it in your presence as well. Ask me how I know...

Also as stated before, I offer a vest to anyone riding with me, anyway.
  11. Schaffer

Feb 18, 2012
    I wore one on mine. Some people asked me about it,nobody gave me ****.

Not a bad idea to bring a small flashlight with you.
  12. MikeLadner

MikeLadner DILLIGAFF?

Jul 4, 2001
    South Mississippi
    You won't catch me, or a ride along, in my patrol car without a vest.
  13. DoogieHowser

DoogieHowser Eh

Jul 27, 2005
    VA, USA
    I always wear one at work so when I do ride-alongs I always wear one there as well. The one exception to that rule was riding with Cochese; then again I knew his aura would likely turn any BG into a steaming crying sack of bones and bullets would be reflected by his sheer awesomeness... Also couldn't get it to fit in the carry on that I had...
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
  14. efman

May 22, 2005
    my department provides all ride alongs/interns with a vest. it is mandatory for anyone riding with patrol.
  15. Ride along with patrol? Heck yeah!
  16. Moravia

Dec 22, 2011
    Absolutely. Don't go on a ride along without it. Ya never know what is gonna happen in patrol.
  17. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

If you are not offered one, and can come by one that is concealable without being that noticeable. Wear at least a level IIA. In fact if you can get Level IIIA/Spike 2 or some such it would be costly, but well worth it, and last a long while for you. The reason for the spike rating: some people use knives, and bullet resistant vests only work so well for that kind of thing.
  18. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Jul 22, 2002
    In Remembrance

It's that damned CCW badge on your belt. :supergrin:
  19. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Mar 29, 2005
    Where's that list I made up years ago....the ride-a-long list of do's.....
  20. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

I know if I was taking one on a ride along, (not happening under our circumstances), I would want them to know how to unlock the scatter gun.