Glock Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Very Rude/Bad Experience at local Gun Shop yesterday! SW Missouri

70K views 257 replies 153 participants last post by  Eric 
#1 ·
First off let me quick say my main firearm is a G22, but this day I was hunting down Walther P22 accessories... This was my experience at EDI Plus Gun Shop in Nixa, MO.

I know that I'm new here but I'm certainly not new to shooting sports growing up with a 26 year veteran of the Olathe, KS police dept as a Father. Yesterday was far and away the worst experience of my life at a gun shop and I'm not one to bad mouth people or a business, but something must be said about EDI Plus Gun shop in Nixa, MO (Kinder Street).

My neighbor and I went in there just to check out his selection of firearms, reloading equipment and ammo prices yesterday after I called to see if he had any P22 Magazines.

First off we were kindly asked upon entry if they help us find anything, to which we replied "No thanks just looking around!"

Later I asked a man behind the counter about the P22 price they had in the case and he kindly told me he didn't work there and yelled over to a group of guys and said "Steve this guy has a question". Someone from the group of doughnut eating bystanders replied with "What do you want?"... Not knowing which one of them spoke (none of them were looking at me) I said "Which one is Steve I didn't see which of you spoke?".

Steve then stepped from out of the group to once again in a rude tone say "The one that just asked you what YOU want!". I quickly apologized and said I didn't see which one spoke. I then proceeded to ask about the P22. Steve gave me the prices but seemed bothered by my question. I thanked him and returned to looking around the store.

While browsing the store I picked up three manufacturer brochures; a S&W, Ruger and lastly a Kimber. I carried them all through the store while continuing to look. Steve then came from behind to counter and said in a loud tone of voice so all his buddies could hear "You called earlier about P22 Mags right!? FUNNY how I figured that out huh?" Steve then returned to the counter after smugly smiling at me and his buddies. At that time I had had enough of his rudeness, thanked him and proceeded to the door, when Steve in an even louder tone of voice yelled from across the shop "Are you taking those magazine from my store?" (meaning the free brochures)

I responded with "Is that okay? They are free bruchures right?".

Steve - "If you think so - thanks for coming in" (again a very rude tone of voice)

My neighbor who had accompanied me turns and says "Are they magazines or brochures?" (they are in fact manufacturer brochures)

Steve then replies in an even louder tone of voice "LOOK I just want people to be nice to me in my store and ASK before they take things - thanks for coming in now GO"

I then again asked "Are they not free? Is this okay"

Steve again replied "Thanks for coming in" (again rude tone of voice).

WE LEFT despite wanting to get into a confrontation with Steve.

Now I understand I was in there asking about a relatively cheap, low caliber firearm but that doesn't give this gun shop owner the right to treat ANYONE like this. Customer, potential customer or NO. VERY Unacceptable and while I very well could have eventually spent a considerable amount of $$$ in this store I will never go back nor will I let any friends ever go there.

The worst part about this for Steve and EDI Plus Gun Shop is that my neighbor that accompanied me, his wife works for a competing gun shop across town and she now knows the way in which we were treated. Do you think she'll ever recommend someone go to his shop? The kicker is that I work for one of the two largest outdoor retailers in the Country (I'm sure if you shop at either of them and you put two and two together with the location you can figure out which one!) and unfortunately for Steve and EDI I come into contact with more than my fare share of hunters, shooters and outdoor enthusiasts and therefore will have the opportunity to tell this story to many a potential customer.

Again I just wanted to share this experience because no one should be treated this way, and if you have the opportunity to shop at a local gun shop in the SW Missouri area I STRONGLY suggest you steer clear of Steve and EDI Plus in Nixa.

Maybe Steve would have been more respectful had I questioned him regarding Glock Accessories or something of a higher caliber, but simply put this was a terrible experience.

Anyone else ever have an experience like this?

See less See more
#103 ·
I've been to the Special Ops Museum in Fayetteville but I missed Jim's. I'll check it out the next time I'm over that way. :supergrin:
It's been years for me but every so often I'll stop by just to see if anything has changed and if their staff is still rude know-it-alls (at least the ones I've been in contact with) who won't let you get a word in edgewise telling you what you SHOULD like or not.

I'll stand back and listen in on other sales-customer conversations. Only takes a minute to confirm...

#104 ·
I've been a customer at Jim's for several years. They have the best gun selection in town. There is always someone there to wait on you if you have a question. The staff appears to be retired soldiers which fits in well with a major customer base here.

I've always been treated with courtesy and personally never heard any wild recommendations, although I've walked away when the questions seemed too elementary from one who intended to purchase something as serious as a firearm. :whistling:

#108 ·
I asked a straight question. Don't need legal training to ask. Thought one or more of the knowledgable folks here might have an answer or even some experience.

#109 ·
I once bought a Beretta 90-two from scheels in lincoln nebraska...........Man i the customer service in that place bad.

First off let me tell you something, I am 22 years old and an avid hunter. I might look a little younger then 22, therefore not a one single salesman will ask me if I need help. 9 times out of ten, no one will ever ask me. Then i go in with my dad, and about 5 guys ask him if he needs help within the half an hour we were there.........talk about being mad.

So I have this bad itch to get a new handgun and I am looking around for about 10 min before I HAVE to go ask for help. I finally decided upon the 90-two. I spent about 700 some odd dollars that day there.

I finally get around to shooting the gun and its accuracy has the worst I have ever seen in a handgun. 6 low and another 6 to the left. Got the same results after 2 mags.

I had jut purchased a handgun that cost me about $800 and it idnt shoot worth a crap. I ended up taking it back to Scheels to tell the salesman (a different guy then who sold it to me) that it needed to be sent back to beretta and something needs to be fixed on it.

He asked me why and i told him that i had just got it, Its Brand New and explained to him what had happened. He kind of laughed at me and told me that all semi auto handguns or "DEFENCE" handguns to be exact are not accurate. Im thinking to myself that he just thinks im some dumb city kid that wants a gun. Remember, I was raised around guns. I live in rural nebraska, this is what we do for fun.

So I said to him.........hmmmmm thats funy, so you mean to tell me that even though the state patrol and other law enforcement trust their lives to these, they are never accurate?

The salesman said that they shoot it so much they just remember where it hits everytime..................YEA..........I CALL BS!!!

Then I got mad (I HAVE A REALLY BAD TEMPER) I said im not just some dumb kid that came in off the street an decied it would be cool to have a gun. I have been shooting guns since I was a little boy. My dad has over a hundred firearms and none shoot this bad sir.

He then laughed at me and i told him to just give me my money back......

I was so mad that i made myself promise to never go back.

I would drive the 60 some miles just to go to cabelas then to go back to scheels.

They are rude and dont know their head from their feet. As a matter of fact, I seen a guy there that was selling shoes one day selling guns the next.

I called the manager and he told me that all his employees have an extensive training in their field otherwise he would not hire them......I CALL BS AGAIN!!!

I could go on forever about my horrible expierences there.......DONT SHOP AT SCHEELS!!!! GIVE THE LOCAL GUN SHOP A TRY BEFORE YOU GO TO A CORPERATION!!!

#110 ·
I prefer Scheels....that 30 day money back, no questions asked return policy on new and used guns is handy.....and they arent BSing either.....I returned a few and never got hassled once.

#112 ·
Its funny, you have to wonder if people aren't just playing the devils advocate in here.

You could say some guy in their home town sucks and is likely a terrorist. Then somebody in here would say that they know that terrorist personally and he is actually a very good guy!

"You know...I heard say that fried poop on a stick stinks and taste real bad!"

Retort: "Actually, last year at the Arkansas state fair I had fried poop on a stick, and it was actually pretty tastey!":rofl:

#114 ·
I've been a customer at Jim's for several years. They have the best gun selection in town. There is always someone there to wait on you if you have a question. The staff appears to be retired soldiers which fits in well with a major customer base here.

I've always been treated with courtesy and personally never heard any wild recommendations, although I've walked away when the questions seemed too elementary from one who intended to purchase something as serious as a firearm. :whistling:
Only problem I have ever had a jims was their high prices.....Carolina Firearms on Bragg Blvd will get you anything you want and at great prices....:rofl:

#115 ·
I found Ed's Gun Shop in Southern Pines in the early '90's. He's since moved to Vass but he's always been fair and decent. Real standup guy and store. There's no sense in supporting over-priced and over-bearing gun shops when there are really decent ones out there!

http://www.edsgunshop.com/

He's expanding. Site shows he's opened another store in Newport, NC.

#116 ·
You seem to be defending your statement when you should not have to..Customer service is customer service. does not matter whether it is in a gun shop or a toy store. These days most are all rude and one should not have to put up with it. I have been know to ask to speak to the manager when this happens and report them. Sometime it gets resolved sometimes it does not. And I also do not have to shop there. There are other places to shop at that will treat you well. Don't know why all the questions as to why you did or didn't do this or that. Point is customer service sucked and you were letting others know..

Ok off my soap box now..

hey blownhemi

My buddys wife's shop isn't open on Saturdays and he didn't have any Walther stuff. I wasn't in the gun shop to buy a Walther - as I had just bought a P22 Friday evening. I was merely looking for extra magazines but knew from the phone call that Steve didn't have them in stock. Really we just wanted to check out his store and see what he had since it was close to our homes and we could shop there when we needed things - ammo -etc.

Yes I work for a large outdoor retailer (Well I work for their corporate office) but in this particular case they were overpriced on the P22 and they didn't have any accessories or extra magazines either.

Hope that explains my situation better.

And AaronKelly there's really no way Steve could have known my neighbor or put him together with his wife from the competing gun store. And even if he did we weren't in there being threatening. I was honestly in there seeing what he had for future purchases.

This evening I spoke with a coworker who's lived in the Springfield area all his life and he knew Steve right off the bat and has also had similar dealings with him and his rudeness.

#117 ·
Yup, Steve definitely has a reputation among non-LEO folks down there; but he does know his stuff when it comes to guns and has parts most don't carry. Leven's Guns is kinda out in the sticks. My uncle bought a G21 from him and the owner let him test fire it before purchase.

#118 ·
I guess we are a little lucky in Pennsylvania. I deal with 5 gun shops and have always been treated like a customer should. But when a stranger walks in and just starts looking around, the clerks do change character, at least until the new guy starts bs'n about guns or reloading etc. Every gun shop that i've been in; the man behind the counter is packing on his hip. You never saw that 20 some years ago.

#119 ·
Typical of any poor sales person who ignores a client. Had a bugspray guy who make hundreds off me, tell a friend I referred, that he was too busy, after not showing up one day at all. He won't be getting any more of my money either, and this is in a small town where I see this AH out eating breakfast every day, cant be too busy not to hang out and eat!

I have a saying about the thousands of dollars inept sales people cost businesses. No reason not to be polite, unless you are a millionaire, and you are sure you will never have to run into that person again for anything!

#123 ·
Ha ha,
I dont think its Steve. If he doesnt care enough about his reputation to speak to people the way he does, then behind the safety of the internet, he surely wouldnt be any different.
He has his little followers, he has all the parts that nobody has, he knows his guns so he doesn't need GT.

Maybe it's his mom or sister or most likely, one of is toadies. The guy behind the counter that doesnt actually work there?

Are ya gonna take those magazines.........boy?

#125 ·
wow I haven't seen this thread in a long time... It actually came up when I was searching for gun shops in the Springfield Area on google.

RedRooster I'd steer clear of EDI... Can't believe he is still in business. I'm considering returning his brochures to him (I'm done with them now)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.