Glock Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Very Rude/Bad Experience at local Gun Shop yesterday! SW Missouri

70K views 257 replies 153 participants last post by  Eric 
#1 ·
First off let me quick say my main firearm is a G22, but this day I was hunting down Walther P22 accessories... This was my experience at EDI Plus Gun Shop in Nixa, MO.

I know that I'm new here but I'm certainly not new to shooting sports growing up with a 26 year veteran of the Olathe, KS police dept as a Father. Yesterday was far and away the worst experience of my life at a gun shop and I'm not one to bad mouth people or a business, but something must be said about EDI Plus Gun shop in Nixa, MO (Kinder Street).

My neighbor and I went in there just to check out his selection of firearms, reloading equipment and ammo prices yesterday after I called to see if he had any P22 Magazines.

First off we were kindly asked upon entry if they help us find anything, to which we replied "No thanks just looking around!"

Later I asked a man behind the counter about the P22 price they had in the case and he kindly told me he didn't work there and yelled over to a group of guys and said "Steve this guy has a question". Someone from the group of doughnut eating bystanders replied with "What do you want?"... Not knowing which one of them spoke (none of them were looking at me) I said "Which one is Steve I didn't see which of you spoke?".

Steve then stepped from out of the group to once again in a rude tone say "The one that just asked you what YOU want!". I quickly apologized and said I didn't see which one spoke. I then proceeded to ask about the P22. Steve gave me the prices but seemed bothered by my question. I thanked him and returned to looking around the store.

While browsing the store I picked up three manufacturer brochures; a S&W, Ruger and lastly a Kimber. I carried them all through the store while continuing to look. Steve then came from behind to counter and said in a loud tone of voice so all his buddies could hear "You called earlier about P22 Mags right!? FUNNY how I figured that out huh?" Steve then returned to the counter after smugly smiling at me and his buddies. At that time I had had enough of his rudeness, thanked him and proceeded to the door, when Steve in an even louder tone of voice yelled from across the shop "Are you taking those magazine from my store?" (meaning the free brochures)

I responded with "Is that okay? They are free bruchures right?".

Steve - "If you think so - thanks for coming in" (again a very rude tone of voice)

My neighbor who had accompanied me turns and says "Are they magazines or brochures?" (they are in fact manufacturer brochures)

Steve then replies in an even louder tone of voice "LOOK I just want people to be nice to me in my store and ASK before they take things - thanks for coming in now GO"

I then again asked "Are they not free? Is this okay"

Steve again replied "Thanks for coming in" (again rude tone of voice).

WE LEFT despite wanting to get into a confrontation with Steve.

Now I understand I was in there asking about a relatively cheap, low caliber firearm but that doesn't give this gun shop owner the right to treat ANYONE like this. Customer, potential customer or NO. VERY Unacceptable and while I very well could have eventually spent a considerable amount of $$$ in this store I will never go back nor will I let any friends ever go there.

The worst part about this for Steve and EDI Plus Gun Shop is that my neighbor that accompanied me, his wife works for a competing gun shop across town and she now knows the way in which we were treated. Do you think she'll ever recommend someone go to his shop? The kicker is that I work for one of the two largest outdoor retailers in the Country (I'm sure if you shop at either of them and you put two and two together with the location you can figure out which one!) and unfortunately for Steve and EDI I come into contact with more than my fare share of hunters, shooters and outdoor enthusiasts and therefore will have the opportunity to tell this story to many a potential customer.

Again I just wanted to share this experience because no one should be treated this way, and if you have the opportunity to shop at a local gun shop in the SW Missouri area I STRONGLY suggest you steer clear of Steve and EDI Plus in Nixa.

Maybe Steve would have been more respectful had I questioned him regarding Glock Accessories or something of a higher caliber, but simply put this was a terrible experience.

Anyone else ever have an experience like this?

See less See more
#77 ·
Any more I tell them when they are Richard Craniums and walk out. Over priced guins and extreamly low IQs make me want to throw up!

#78 ·
Well today was a welcomed change! First time visiting Pistols Plus in Lake Ozark, MO (right off HWY 54)... FANTASTIC Customer Service! Very knowledgeable salesman, we talked guns for a bit, talked about some different ammo! He didn't have the magazines I was looking for in stock but offered to order them in and either ship them to me or call me when they came in. Super Nice guy and very very nice gun shop! One of the nicest shops I've ever been in. Huge selection of pistols too all on a big glass wall box. A lot of Glock stuff too - shirts, polos, range bags, etc. Anyway just thought I'd comment on a good shop to go with the bad one!

I knew there were good ones out there!

#79 ·
Well today was a welcomed change! First time visiting Pistols Plus in Lake Ozark, MO (right off HWY 54)... FANTASTIC Customer Service! Very knowledgeable salesman, we talked guns for a bit, talked about some different ammo! He didn't have the magazines I was looking for in stock but offered to order them in and either ship them to me or call me when they came in. Super Nice guy and very very nice gun shop! One of the nicest shops I've ever been in. Huge selection of pistols too all on a big glass wall box. A lot of Glock stuff too - shirts, polos, range bags, etc. Anyway just thought I'd comment on a good shop to go with the bad one!

I knew there were good ones out there!
That's good to know... I get through that area from time to time on business. I may have to stop in and buy something!

#81 ·
It doesn't look like a very large gun shop from the road, but wow inside was really nice! And they have two rooms of Assault Weapons for display that was really neat to look at too!
Wow! They sell full auto weapons there? (Sorry, I couldn't resist - the anti's even have US calling them "assault weapons" :tongueout:)

Seriously though, I look forward to getting that way!

#83 ·
Wish I had seen this sooner. Steve, what a guy! I live about 70 miles away in his home town, I have bought a couple of guns from him. I first heard of him from a guy working at Wilson Combat, told me what he was like and what to expect. First time in it was like pulling teeth to get waited on. After I bought the first gun it got easier and went from there. Of course, finding out I knew his Brother and Dad gave us something to talk about which helped. But I have seen people walk in, stand around and never get waited on! Heck of a way to run a business. Always seems to be selling to LEO when I was there, which was before he moved south to Nixa. Still the cheapest I can find on most guns and I wouldn't rule out buying another from him. My wife says we get along because I'm an a##hole just like him! Not a very nice thing to say!

Abull

#84 ·
As a retail salesman since the day I turned 16, it sickens me to hear these stories. Unfortunatly, around Memphis it's like this. There are 2 big ranges in Memphis, one has about 12 lanes and is about 40" long with a dirt berm indoors, they don't have a lot of stuff to rent, but they are the nicest people and have always treated me great.
The range on the north side of town has nicer facilities, but I've only had a good trip maybe 30% of the time. Just because I'm only 21 doesn't meen I don't know safety. I prefer earplugs to headphones and it never fails that someone working there grabs me when I walk to the range entrance to tell me that I need hearing protection. Thier consistency is a little off also. I took my girlfriend to shoot 3 times while she was 19 and 20 with no problem. The 4th time we had been shooting for almost half an hour before we were stopped and told she had to leave because she was under 21. We explained that we had done this before and all we were told was "Well he(previous employees) ****ed up, ya'll need to get on outta here." He then refused to give me a refund on the rental and lane fees(we paid 15$ for a lane for an hour, sholdn't I get 7.50$ + half the rental fee back?). We eventually got our refund from another worker after he picked up a gunrag and quit acknowledging us.

#85 ·
Two of my favorite places to go. Guys are good honest people, good prices and good service. First time I walked into Horizon I told the guy I was just checking it out because of the limited selection in Flag. He told me if I needed any help just ask, and that he could order me parts if they didn't have them in store. Bear Arms has some of the best prices I've found and the guys are nice and answer questions instead of laughing. Got my Glock 21 with factory night sights and a surefire for $500. Went to another store to by something a month later and they asked how much I paid for the light, couldn't believe that it pretty much came with the gun.

#86 ·
I must have caught Steve on a good day because the only time I went to his store(before he moved to Nixa), He waited on me immediately and went in the back and got out the guns I was interested in looking at. He didn't say anything out of line or act like an a**hole. I know a lot of people who he treated like crap.

Wayne

#88 ·
Reminds me of Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman". The shop keeper is rude so she goes elsewhere to make huge purchases. On her way home she walks into the rude shop, lets them take a look at her new clothes and boxes of stuff she is carrying.... and says:
"Big mistake... BIG MISTAKE!"

#90 ·
I make my living by manufacturing firearms and doing firearms customization.

The CUSTOMER is the entire reason why we are in business. They are not there to waste our time.

Some folks forget this.

TR Graham
The Glocksmith
Riflesmith, Elk River Tool & Die
Years ago, Mr. Graham used to live in my area and frequently had a table at the local gun shows. I always tried to go to his table and watch him work for awhile if he was at a show I attended--I've still never seen anyone who could detail strip a glock as fast as he did.

Not only is he obviously very good at what he does, he was always willing to answer questions politely and with a smile on his face, even when the person was clearly not going to buy anything and even when the question was one he'd clearly heard a million times since that morning.

It has to have been around 15 years since the last time I saw him at a gunshow, but that kind of attitude makes a lasting impression.

#91 ·
I was reading all of this and wanted to laugh. I have been dealing with Steve for over 10 years, and frankly this is the only shop I go to. His prices are the best, and if you are kind enough to wait until he is finished with his other customers, I find Steve to be quite friendly. The one thing you have to remember, when I am in his shop it is usually full of customers, and only one Steve to wait on them. If I am busy at work and someone says "I'm just looking" I will go to the next person. If you would have said "I called about the P-22 mags" he would have known who you were. I was in his store on a Saturday 2 weeks ago for about 45 mins., and he sold 9 guns while I was there so I think he stays fairly busy. So, complain all you want. He may be blunt and to the point, but it's his business. And all the cronies you mentioned, I'm guessing most of the time they are Springfield, Nixa, Ozark or Greene County officers, and very good customers.

If you don't like it, shop somewhere else. He's been in business a long time, so he must be doing something right. Or better yet, open your own shop so we can talk about you.

#93 ·
I was reading all of this and wanted to laugh. I have been dealing with Steve for over 10 years, and frankly this is the only shop I go to. His prices are the best, and if you are kind enough to wait until he is finished with his other customers, I find Steve to be quite friendly. The one thing you have to remember, when I am in his shop it is usually full of customers, and only one Steve to wait on them. If I am busy at work and someone says "I'm just looking" I will go to the next person. If you would have said "I called about the P-22 mags" he would have known who you were. I was in his store on a Saturday 2 weeks ago for about 45 mins., and he sold 9 guns while I was there so I think he stays fairly busy. So, complain all you want. He may be blunt and to the point, but it's his business. And all the cronies you mentioned, I'm guessing most of the time they are Springfield, Nixa, Ozark or Greene County officers, and very good customers.

If you don't like it, shop somewhere else. He's been in business a long time, so he must be doing something right. Or better yet, open your own shop so we can talk about you.
The original post said that some guy standing behind the counter who said "he didnt work there" yelled to Steve from behind the counter. How could you know that if you never have been there before if "Steve" was with a customer? And most people don’t like attitudes from store keepers especially if they intend to spend some money.

I find that loud mouth people with attitudes have a following of people that want to kiss their ***** and be "in" with them. I have one in my neighborhood that laughs at the other guys that try to buddy with him behind their backs. He too will be a jerk to people, talks about his fighting days, loud, belligerent and these guys just hover around him. I don't do that and visits me and is always cool with me.

Yep, guys like Steve always have a following of ***** kissers. It's not his "great" prices that keep you there Hollywood. But if his business is lucky to be successful despite his attitude, think how well he would be if he just treated people with common courtesy. I bet he gets bent out of shape if somebody talks to him like that.

I will "find" a better price if I have to before I give that guy my money. Gun elitist is what he sounds like. Wish his store were in Texas, I would visit him today.

#96 ·

Hi Steve. :)

#97 ·
THANK YOU!
Not all of us are inconsiderate rude jerks. We're out there, just gotta know where to look ;)
Maybe this is a regional thing? I've been to gun shows and gun stores all over the South, and I've never been treated discourteously. I've gotten bad info and been asked to pay ridiculously high prices, but nobody has ever been rude to me.

And I am amazed at how many people from Missouri are on this forum. You guys must be armed to the teeth out there. :supergrin:

#98 ·
Is there a basis for a law suit by the parties discussed this way in a public forum. Nothing is private on the internet.

#100 ·
Is there a basis for a law suit by the parties discussed this way in a public forum. Nothing is private on the internet.
Do you read any false libel in here? One person expressed their experience with Steve the owner of the establishment and based on that and now other input, we have a forum.

Just like the word of mouth passes around if you give good service, it works the other way too. It's called consequences!

#101 ·
Maybe this is a regional thing? I've been to gun shows and gun stores all over the South, and I've never been treated discourteously. I've gotten bad info and been asked to pay ridiculously high prices, but nobody has ever been rude to me.
You've never been to Jim's Guns on Yadkin Extension, Fayetteville, North Carolina!!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.