close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Very Rude/Bad Experience at local Gun Shop yesterday! SW Missouri

Discussion in 'Gun-Parts & Access.' started by bbeach, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bert.40

Bert.40

Aug 14, 2004
    East of Pittsburgh
    Was that shop in the Ozarks? Did you hear Dueling Banjos in the background; or a pig squealing?

Stay away from that store!!

Trust No One:ufo::ufo:

2. bbeach

bbeach Kstateskier

Dec 25, 2006
    Kansas City, MO
    Nixa... no dueling banjos just aholes...

3. jonusmcg

jonusmcg

Feb 5, 2008
    Jacksonville, NC
    Personally, I hate dealing with 90% of the gun shops. The guys that work there are stuck up and think that they are better than you and know everything. little do they know that I have 8 years in the Marine Corps and MUCH shooting experience, probably MORE than them! Like when they tell me that Glocks are crap, and I ask them "oh yeah? and thats based off of what knowledge that you have of what tactical response situations?" Oh thats right, YOU'RE A FR**CKIN' CIVILIAN! Don't worry about those guys. They think they can talk down to everyone because they are allowed to carry guns in the store. My advice, pay no mind to the idiots behind the counter.:whistling:

4. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

Feb 25, 2002
    USofA!
    Couple quick bad stories:

Jims' Pawn & Gun in Fayet-nam: Had absolutely horrible help behind the counter in the '80's and when I tried them again in the '90's. They were running mouth know-it-all's and you'd be lucky to even get a word out. Before you could finish a question they'd tell you what you really needed or wanted. Haven't been back since.

Went into a well-known gun shop just the other day here in Tidewater, VA. The sales dude immediately started bad mouthing the gun and manufacturer I asked about but without anything to back it up. After handling the gun I left. Went to the gun show Saturday (in the same town) and bought that gun from a dealer who was interested in selling one. At a significantly lower price I might add!

Good story: Want to deal with someone who is great? Ed's Gun Shop in Vass NC. I've known him since I drove a Pepsi truck (early 1990's) when his store was still in Southern Pines. He's always been one to listen to you then help you out. Good prices too.

5. Solesurvivor

Solesurvivor

Dec 31, 2007
    Shooter's Vault on Greenway. I've always heard good things about them, but I've not had a great experience with them. Won't be coming back to them.

6. blownhemi

blownhemi

Oct 2, 2006
    Australia

Fair enough - sounds likes the guy is a real ******. It just sounded strage to be shopping elsewhere.

7. AWDTerror

AWDTerror Ass Penny

Jul 17, 2005
    Missouri
    This is nothing new, steve has always been like this.

He is a genius who know's it with a ego bigger than his shop, I haven't gone in there in years due to the fact that he never changes his stock, and his attitude, but i always stop by DG's gunsmithing next door.

8. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO 10-42

Aug 4, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I dunno if they are still there... But, last time I was in Springfield (around 2005?) I went in a shop near BassPro called "Gunslinger's"... Good folks, decent prices, I'd go back.

Also, if ya' come to Kansas City there are lots of good folks to deal with. My favorite is Denny's Guns in North Kansas City. I also like going to Bob's Gun Rack on 3rd Street in Lee's Summit MO. Good folks at both shops who actually care about what their customers think and treat you accordingly. Also... American Firearms in Grandview on Blue Ridge Blvd. is another good one.

I'm an LEO in the KC metro area and have many friends at the Olathe Police Dept. How long ago did your dad retire? ... Or, is he still with them?

At any rate... I wouldn't go back to that shop either.

9. James Cox

James Cox

Jan 31, 2008
    Oregon
    That's interesting, I started working there about a month ago. Do you remember the guys' name? I'm not the typical gunstore guy, I'm a southern guy. Swing back by some time and chat with me, I can promise you I won't try to pull a umteenthousand percent upsell or ignore you altogether. Money says it was Joe...

10. 4095fanatic

4095fanatic

Oct 12, 2006
    Most people I know who went there say it was Steve. To quote:

This person got Steved.

I visited Steve's Guns (now EDI) once, years ago when he was still in Springfield. I immediately vowed I would never return, and I never have.

And I never will. If someone wants to pay me $300 to walk into that shop and spend a few minutes there, I'll do it. But for any amount less, you can have it.

How Steve stays in business, I have no idea. Nor do I care. Obviously he makes enough of a living for his tastes. He obviously doesn't want my business. Which is fine by me, because he'll never get it.

--------------------------------------------------------
    We all know the "Soup Nazi" from Seinfeld... Well, Steve is usually called (behind his back) the "Gun Nazi"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is nothing new, steve has always been like this.

He is a genius who know's it with a ego bigger than his shop, I haven't gone in there in years due to the fact that he never changes his stock, and his attitude, but i always stop by DG's gunsmithing next door.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want anything firearms-related in Springfield, go by 417 Guns. In my (admittedly brief) experience, 417 Guns is run by real and decent human beings, and they'll treat you right.

11. linh811

linh811

Aug 27, 2006
    houston, TX
    I've never bought from a gunshop Most purchases are from private citizens, otherwise ordered and shipped to my FFL.

12. Travelin' Jack

Travelin' Jack Misinformed

Jul 20, 2007
    0 .· ` ' / ·. 200
    These are the only two shops in Springfield I go to anymore. I've spent plenty of money in both and highly recommend them.

13. bbeach

bbeach Kstateskier

Dec 25, 2006
    Kansas City, MO
    My Dad has been retired lets see 6-7 years now. He was a Sargent... If your friends know him his last name is Beach.

Be safe in KC Metro and thank you for your service!

14. Radjxf

Radjxf

Sep 26, 2004
    MT
    I actually bought an HK USP from this a**hole a few years back. At the time, he was the only guy that had any in stock for 150 miles. Got a small taste of his rudeness on the phone. Got to his shop after a 3 hr drive, just about had to snap my fingers in front of his face to get him to acknowledge my presence. He was busy with a bunch of inbred cronies at the time:upeyes:
    I spoke clearly and concisely with patience. Said "yes sir and no sir". He still treated me like some annoyance. Guess he kinda dented my ego as I clearly could have his behind for breakfast if necessary:steamed:
    Why are 75+% of gunshop owners such you-know-whats?
    Avoid this tool.
    Check out 417 guns, Bass Pro, heck anywhere but EDI/Steves!!

15. bassdeer

bassdeer Jesus Saves

Apr 3, 2002
    The Colony TX
    I would of droped the brochures on the floor.

16. Capitalzation and puctuation would help if you really want us to read your posts. ;)

17. bbeach

bbeach Kstateskier

Dec 25, 2006
    Kansas City, MO
    This is becoming humorous the sheer number of people that I've talked to since Saturday about this "incident" and how many of them have said something to the effect of either "Yeah I know Steve and he's a pr*ck of colossal proportions" or "I've had a similiar experience at that place."

At any rate its nice to hear there are better places in the SW Missouri area!

It's too bad we can't calculate the profits lost for EDI due to his attitude and treatment of customers...

18. Deadduck

Deadduck

Jan 19, 2008
    The Bayou State
    Exactly what I was thinking.

I've had a few rude experiences over the years, and not just at gun shops. The most recent one was at a ATV/Motorcycle dealership when I went to the parts counter to get an oil filter for my 4-wheeler. The parts guy was busy BS'ing with a friend of his, and even though he saw me standing at the counter, never said hi, asked what I needed or anything. I finally had to interupt their conversation to tell him what I needed. He made some sarcastic remark, got me the filter, told me how much, but never really stopped his converstation with his friend. Never said thanks, go to hell, or really even made eye contact with me. If I wouldn't have really needed the filter and not wanted to drive 20 miles to the next dealership, I'd have left it sitting on the counter.

A few years ago I went into a gun shop with the full intention of buying a Ruger Blackhawk .44 magnum revolver. I was probably 29-30 at the time. The guys behind the counter were busy talking to one another, and a "customer" who wasn't looking at guns, just talking. When I asked to look at the revolver, one of them told me to wait a minute. He finally waddled over and asked, "what do you want?" in a very unfriendly tone. I told them I wanted to look at a Blackhawk. He pulled it out and handed it to me, then proceeded to ask what I wanted with something like that. I replied paper punching and possibly hunting. He then took the pistol from me with the guise of showing me something and asked to see my ID. I asked him what for, and he said he wanted to see if I was 21. I showed him my DL, just to prove I was way over 21, then walked out, telling him I wouldn't buy from him if he gave me the gun. Life's too long to have to deal with ***holes all the time.

19. who_dat

who_dat NRA Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    ...or at least a period so we'd know where to stop!:tongueout:

20. QNman

QNman resU deretsigeR Silver Member

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    That sucks, bbeach. I have had similar experience in a certain motorcycle shop in Washington, MO. I drive the other way now for parts, filters, etc. and have even made a special trip to Columbia to avoid these a-holes. (Hey, the motorcycle is meant to RIDE, right?)

Anyway, good to know. I get that way once in a while and have a "bad" habit of stopping in little gun shops when I'm traveling, especially in Missouri. And, yes, sometimes I walk out with a new toy! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.