close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

very disappointed Military Service / Age not allowed to apply

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by AWMP, Oct 23, 2012.

1. AWMP

AWMP
    Expand Collapse

Dropping my retirement paperwork this coming May with final date to be about 8-9 months later and just found out that since I'm past 45 years old I'm not allowed to apply for most of the police departments in my area where my house is. (Salado Texas)

There is a state law that states if the deparment is civil service you are not allowed to apply if you are older than 45 years old.

Twenty six years of Active Duty and I can't apply because I will be 47 at the time of retirement.

Very disappointing.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. akapennypincher

akapennypincher
    Expand Collapse
    Glock-O-Holic

That is weird, as a friend's daughter had 55 y/o rookie in her LAPD Academy Class.

3. GlockEm

GlockEm
    Expand Collapse

I don't believe there is a state law that covers civil service sheriffs' offices as far as age limits are concerned. You may want to look into working as a deputy sheriff.

4. RocPO

RocPO
    Expand Collapse

Also, check if military time comes off your age. I know in NY, you're allowed 4 years of military time to come off. Ex: Age cutoff here is 35. However, if you're prior military, you're allowed to take off up to 4 years of active duty time. Thus, military applicants can be 39

5. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP
    Expand Collapse
    Inactive/Banned

Apply at the departments that are not civil service. I believe most of them in the area are not. Check the TML website for postings.

This post translated from Morse Code was made possible from donations from viewers like you.

6. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

My old department had a lieutenant go through the academy while in his 60's, the the PD dropped out of the training program, then returned and he did it again (in his 60's both times).

OP - try another state. Unfortuantely, this is the result of letting the state get too involved in local government agencies, much like the feds getting too involved in your state. I complained about it years ago, when they were discussing making the state academy mandatory for all police in KY and the things I said have come true, with the state telling you who you can or cannot hire. (I now work for the part of state government that is responsible for that)

#6 Bren, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  7. Cochese

Cochese
    Expand Collapse
    Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

Go work as a deputy constable. Awesome retirement job. Or find a position as a deputy sheriff with a non CS department.

8. AWMP

AWMP
    Expand Collapse

I called one of the departments I was interested in and she said Military service did not matter since it was a civil service requirement. I then called my Texas State Representatives Office and they told me the same thing. They said that is a law they are looking into.

I'm going to look into other departments as well.

I always thought it should be the best qualified and never thought my age would be a descriminator.

9. SAR

SAR
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

If you are willing to re-locate, there are states that do not have an age restriction. Ironically, the military also has an age restriction, so if I were to try and enlist when I retire from the PD, I would be out of luck. Some of the restrictions are because of current pension plans and the way they are written.

10. blueiron

blueiron
    Expand Collapse

Arizona has no age restriction. Plenty of 20+ year vets get hired.

11. CJStudent

CJStudent
    Expand Collapse
    Fenced In

Same in KY, though that's a long ways from where you're at right now.

12. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

But we have better gun laws, too.

#12 Bren, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  13. CJStudent

CJStudent
    Expand Collapse
    Fenced In

Very true!

14. blueiron

blueiron
    Expand Collapse

Arizona has better gun laws. Kentucky, sadly, has better bourbon. :crying:

Love me some Maker's Mark!

15. AWMP

AWMP
    Expand Collapse

Was really hoping to stay home after retirement. Selling my house is a tough on right now. I was sent the law.
    Sec. 143.023. ELIGIBILITY FOR BEGINNING POSITION. (a) A person may not take an entrance examination for a beginning position in the police department unless the person is at least 18 years of age. A person may not take an entrance examination for a beginning position in the fire department unless the person is at least 18 years of age but not 36 years of age or older.

(b) A person may not be certified as eligible for a beginning position in a fire department if the person is 36 years of age or older.

(c) A person who is 45 years of age or older may not be certified for a beginning position in a police department.

(d) An applicant may not be certified as eligible for a beginning position with a fire department unless the applicant meets all legal requirements necessary to become eligible for future certification by the Commission on Fire Protection Personnel Standards and Education.

(e) An applicant may not be certified as eligible for a beginning position with a police department unless the applicant meets all legal requirements necessary to become eligible for future licensing by the Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education.

(f) Each police officer and fire fighter affected by this chapter must be able to read and write English.

(g) In addition to meeting the requirements prescribed by this section, an applicant for a beginning position in a police department in a municipality with a population of 1.5 million or more must meet the requirements prescribed by Section 143.105.

Acts 1987, 70th Leg., ch. 149, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1987.

Amended by:

Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 380, Sec. 1, eff. June 17, 2005.

Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 273, Sec. 1, eff. May 30, 2009.

16. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor
    Expand Collapse
    Khem-Adam

Yes, age discrimination is alive and well in Texas. I think it's ridiculous. But it's thriving in our military too.

The code has changed since I last read it. It used to be an age cutoff of 40.

I don't know if it was ever in the government code but a lot of agencies used to have a 35 year age cutoff that expanded to 40 with 5 years experience in law enforcement or military.

Ultimately this doesn't stop you from becoming a peace officer in any way, shape, or form. It limits you slightly, but there are thousands of agencies out there that aren't civil service. If you really want to be a peace officer, just apply with them.

17. jpa

jpa
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

No age limit in NV either. My agency has plenty of retired military and LE from other states. You do the same POST agility test as anyone else 20-99 years old, male or female or both.

18. furetto7

furetto7
    Expand Collapse
    Galloglaich

Speaking as a Texas Peace Officer over the age of 45, I can speak with some knowledge on this matter. The Civil Service requirement applies only to large departments for the most part, Sheriff Departments, Contables and most smaller Police Departments do not have any age restriction.

I was told that the 45 year cutoff is because most Civil Service positions have a mandatory retirement of 65 so for them to get 20 years from you you must start with them before you are 45.

Here in the costal bend area of Texas the only agency that has an age restriction is the Corpus Christi Police Department, all of the SO's and the other PD's have no age restriction, neither does the DPS if you can survive their academy.

19. larry_minn

larry_minn
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member Millennium Member

[Dang. Sorry to hear this. I posted just on OP. Then read replies and everything (and more) I posted was already said....

#19 larry_minn, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  20. ScottieG59

ScottieG59
    Expand Collapse

I have seen the same thing after my military years. The FBI has a 35 year old limit for Special Agents.

Maybe there is sort of process for a waiver? I have seen it in the Army.

Anyway, I would rather fail trying than not to try. Also, I would be more flexible about location.