close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vehicle carry in PA for non-CCWers?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by cowboy1964, Jul 28, 2012.

1. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

I have an Ohio CHL but it has no reciprocity with PA.

I'm trying to figure out if I can legally transport a handgun in PA. I came across this:

http://paopencarry.org/pa-firearm-law-ss6106
    1. Offense defined. -- Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    Exceptions. -- The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
    Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

A person who has a license to carry from any state may carry, whether openly or concealed, a handgun in his or her vehicle.

So, sounds like with an Ohio CHL I CAN carry concealed while in my vehicle. I guess I would just have to lock it up before exiting.

I'm not sure FOPA would apply here since I am not traveling through the state but my destination is within the state. Anyone can comment on that aspect?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 cowboy1964, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  2. rmodel65

rmodel65
    Expand Collapse

I believe with your Ohio license youre gtg to car carry and you can cary openly in PA...i believe with your Ohio license you can carry openly in even Philly..I suggest swinging by a sheriffs office in PA the license is like 20$ for 5 years and youll be good to go for concealing. A lot of the sheriffs up there issue on the spot as long as youre not somewhere like philly etc

3. Steve in PA

Steve in PA
    Expand Collapse

PA law allows a person with a permit, ccw, license, etc from another state to carry their a loaded firearm (handgun) in their vehicle while traveling through PA. Unless your home state has reciprocity with PA, you would not be able to carry concealed once you get out of your vehicle.

The applicable law and exception is PACS 6106(b)(11);

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
    (a) OFFENSE DEFINED. —
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(b) EXCEPTIONS. — The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
    (11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

4. Gallium

Gallium
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

Exclusion is Philly, IIRC for open carry.

5. rmodel65

rmodel65
    Expand Collapse

you can carry openly in Philly but you must be licensed though but i cant remember if you actually have to have a license with reciprocity or not. the car carry has an exemption for any license by any state and i wanna say carrying openly in philly does too

6. rmodel65

rmodel65
    Expand Collapse

found it citation