close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Value Glass for 600 to 1000yd shooting

Discussion in 'GATE Long-Range Shooting' started by will919, Sep 23, 2012.

1. will919

will919

Sep 29, 2004
    Michigan
    Is there such a thing. I own a new Savage 111 hunter in 7mm rem mag. I know optics are very important. Unfortunetly I am on a budget. Any value priced scope suggestions would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Bill

2. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner Millennium Member

Aug 25, 1999
    Fort Collins, CO, USA
    Without defining the actual price range it's hard to point you to a specific scope. The Steiner Military 3-12x50 is a good scope and under $2k.

3. Radonkulus

Radonkulus

Aug 5, 2015
    http://www.ammoland.com/2011/04/horus-vision-hdmr-riflescope/#axzz3iAC47O8Q
    Follow the link , best scope and reticle ever ! Larue Tactical sells them for $1599.00 with the Larue quick - connect mount ! This piece has improved my long range shot 10 fold The H59 is the best reticle ever . I can zero my rifle in two or three shots . The Larue mount is return to zero so I switch this glass back and forth with all my rifles !

4. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Feb 15, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Vortex has a wide variety of great glass in a vast price range.

I have both cheap and mid-price vortex and love them both.

5. Check out the Sightron III I have two 6x24-50mm. good glass, tracks well, decent
    Check out the Sightron III,I have two of the 6x24-50mm, tracks well, good glass for under 800.00

6. bradyrw625

bradyrw625

Jan 25, 2013
    For your price range I would go for the Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 FFP with EBR-2C MRAD reticle, Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP with EBR-1 MRAD reticle, and the Bushnell Elite Tactical HDMR 3.5-21X50 with the H59 reticle. These can all be found used or new for under $1,000.

darbam likes this.
  7. bwaites

bwaites

Oct 12, 2015
    Second on the Vortex Viper PST range. Best price/ratio out there right now.

8. Radius_Retention_Systems

Radius_Retention_Systems

Oct 2, 2015
    Best value optics on the planet hands down IMO is the SWFA SS series, for you the SS-10 (Fixed 10X) would be perfect.

"In sub-zero temperatures or searing desert heat (-50 degrees to +130 degrees Fahrenheit, and altitudes of 30,000 feet to depths of 15 feet in salt water) the waterproof, shockproof, fogproof SS performs. Whatever the weapon, from .223 to .50 BMG, the SS handles the recoil. Whatever the target, the SS gives you the best advantage. Made of lightweight aluminum but strong as steel, it has superior multicoated optics for maximum light transmission. Built to NATO specs."

These were navy contracted originally (Side parallax model) for their special operations units.
    Only $300 bucks, or the preferred side parallax model is $400!
    Amazing value!

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P500.aspx

9. ottomatic

ottomatic

Oct 15, 2002
    SW Tennessee

They are excellent, Currently have two, but I am old-school (Read: used to fixed 10 power scopes). Getting ready to upgrade to one of the Vortex PST 6-24 FFP, though.

10. Radius_Retention_Systems

Radius_Retention_Systems

Oct 2, 2015
    24 power is pretty high for what you want no?

They have the variable now... 3-15X42

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P62238.aspx

$699

Did you look at the IOR Valdada's?

If I was you I might consider saving a couple hundred more bucks and get one of the Valdada's, they are pretty awesome, use the best European glass, built like Swiss watches, and tough as hell.

Nothing wrong with the Vortex, is kinda weird how they are best known for their...return policy. ;-)

Naw just teas'in, they are fine, not the same quality as the IOR but fine.

11. ottomatic

ottomatic

Oct 15, 2002
    SW Tennessee
    Actually I just re-read my post, and I was confused. The Vortex PST that I am interested in is the 4-16 FFP. With my law enforcement discount the price is just barely over that of the SS you mentioned and it is illuminated, and has a zero stop. I also like the Vortex turrets better. And regarding their warranty: it even includes damage to the unit which has nothing to do with any factory problems. Such as your rifle and scope tumbling down a mountain after the sling breaks. Ask me how I know about what that can do...
    A comparable Valdada IOR is $1400

12. madAB

madAB

Jan 12, 2009
    for FFP look at the Bushnell HDMR, or XRS. They are great for the price. Also, Burris' new XTR line have been getting great reviews for their price point in the long range world.

13. Lots of great options out there atm don't overlook the Weaver Tactical line either.
    I use the SWFA scopes . for their toughness, price , quality. I do not think they can be beat ! . You can most of the time get grade A or B SWFA 10×42 rear/tube parralax on the Sample List for $259-$269 . IMO , you have lots more $$$$ that needs to be spent on very good quality range finder, weather station, new barrel and Lots of brass primers, powder and bullets. And a good spotting scope , bipod, shooting matt, toe bag , ect. Ect.
    A 10×42 SWFA will teach you everything you need to know at this point. IMO, one of the biggest lessons is to get a cart that can shoot well to 1k without breaking the bank or your shoulder. IE. 243 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7/08 , 308 . . Of those the 6.5 Creedmoor is the champ . But the others are good too.

14. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    cogan station, pa, usa
    I have the 30 mm Vortex 6-24 HST because I did not need a lighted cross-hair. You don't need to spend more than $650 at this point.