close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

VA State Police ammo?

Discussion in 'Glockers of the Old Dominion' started by Gregw/aGlock, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Gregw/aGlock

Gregw/aGlock NRA Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Virginia Beach
    How does one go about finding out what ammo the VSP issues? I'd feel kinda awkward calling them up to ask. I think that would be useful info to know while I'm picking out the ammo I want to carry for self-defense....

2. SocomCen

SocomCen Millennium Member

Jul 29, 1999
    IIRC they use 125gr Gold Dot (.357SIG in SIG 229 DAKs), I see a few Troopers a day in the shop. But I'll double check.

3. Bonk

Bonk Millennium Member

Nov 8, 1999
    It is 125gr Gold Dots, I was just talking to one yesterday.

4. Gregw/aGlock

Gregw/aGlock NRA Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Virginia Beach
    Thanks alot - that's what I've got in my 229 too.

5. Carlitos

Carlitos

Dec 19, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Darn good question!

THink about why we CCW.

-we CCW to protect ourselves and our family.

IF that need ever arrises, we might be questioned - in front of a jury.

About the best answer I can think of as to "Why did you select X gun/ammo?" is:

"I asked a public safety officer what they choose to use to protect innocent people and themslves from criminals. Since the public safety officers use X, I chose X too, since the public safety officers are the experts in such matters."

That answer should satisfy any jury's doubt about you being a reasonable person when it comes to ammo/gun choice.

6. Gregw/aGlock

Gregw/aGlock NRA Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Virginia Beach
    This is paramount to me - preparation for the "what if" scenario. I am only just beginning to learn. :thumbsup:

7. watsoncb

watsoncb CLM

Dec 31, 2006
    Falls Church
    I have heard that Fairfax County Sheriff's carry .40SWs with Federal HPs or Hydra-Shoks.

Can anyone confirm? Also what does:

Alexandria Police:
    Arlington Co Police:
    Falls Church:
    Fairfax Co Police:
    Loudoun Sheriff:

8. Not sure about FCSO, FCPD carries Sig P226R DAK with Federal 9BPLE 115 gr +P+.

9. HavinaPretzel

HavinaPretzel Go Hokies!

Jan 21, 2006
    SE Virginia
    That's a really good point. I carry the 124gr +p Gold Dot, which (I think) the NYPD also uses. I didn't know that when I bought them, but if I'm ever in a position like you describe, your statement about asking a public safety officer would be a good one to make.