Glock Talk banner

USP vs P2000 vs P30

40K views 58 replies 37 participants last post by  BuckyP 
#1 · (Edited)
Guys, walk me thru the HK Line: Im thinking of a 9mm for CC what is the differences between:

USP
P2000
P30

Do they all come with the LEM trigger?
Also are the compact versions that much easier to conceal?

Thanks

#30 ·
How's the trigger on the 9mm P30...that is, 4#, 5#, short reset, etc? I haven't been able to find one to feel it.
Both my 9mm and .40 P30 LEM's were stock V2's and I changed the the springs to make them V1's. And they are both right at 4 lbs and are very nice. The reset isn't as short as a USP or HK45 LEM but for me after some practice and building muscle memory its a non issue.

#31 ·
Digging up an old thread, do you guys still feel the same about your P30's and USP's?

I am looking for either a P30 or USP in SA/DA with a manual safety so cocked and locked is an option but haven't decided which. When carried, will generally be outside the waist band in environments where printing is not a concern and may not even be concealed for that matter so would prefer a full size, not compact.

#32 · (Edited)
Yes, they can all be had in LEM (all of mine are).
Own a USP Compact 45 SS, P30 40 S&W and a P2000 357.
All great guns for sure.
IMHO the P2000 is clearly the easiest to carry -

BTW: Of the three ,
only the USP can be converted to LEM without voiding the warranty.
OEM LEM kits are available for USP and HK45/C guns.
As for the P series? If you want LEM? Recommend you get a factory LEM gun.
Bottom Line - you just can't lose with any Hk :supergrin:

#37 ·
Love my USP's. They are a little bulky but they have been DEAD reliable. The compact is a former police issue pistol which I bought second hand and have shot the P i$$ out of. I honestly can't think of a single issue with either one and I shoot all sorts of cheap ammo through them.

Don't hesitate to get an HK if you want one. They're fantastic firearms.

#39 ·
I like Glocks, I've owned 6 through the years, but I just can't fall "in love" with them and end up selling them. I recently purchased a P2000 V3 9mm. Been wanting one since they first came out and finally bought one. Great gun and I think I will be adding a P2000SK or USP 9C in the near future. Just do your research as HK offers a lot of trigger actions. I prefer TDA guns, hence my purchase of the V3.

#42 ·
LEM is HK's Law Enforcement Modification.
Which is fancy talk for their hammer fired DAO.
Lots of threads and videos on the internet and HKPRO describing it.

P30 and P2000, as with most HK models, may be ordered LEM or DA/SA.
Again, information is at you fingertips friend :D

#45 ·
the P2000 is my favorite, but i also dig the USP and P30. internally the pistols are quite similar. IMO biggest differences:

-USP has decocker lever on the side whereas P30/P2000 have decocker on the rear
-USP can be converted V1 -> LEM by gunsmith or DIY job (which I have done, not too difficult), whereas the P30/P2000 cannot be swapped back and forth

before you go LEM i would shoot one. I did not dig it despite putting hundreds of rounds through 2 LEM HK pistols. biggest issue I had was going back from the LEM to a DA/SA or striker gun. the LEM pull is just soooo long and light it's weird for me. also I do not shoot using the reset. i was taught to press each shot as under stress you can forget about looking for a reset. ain't gonna happen. so if that's the case the value of the LEM really goes out the window for me.

basically I just couldn't get natural w the LEM. whereas a DA/SA or a striker system i am good-to-go

#46 ·
before you go LEM i would shoot one. I did not dig it despite putting hundreds of rounds through 2 LEM HK pistols. biggest issue I had was going back from the LEM to a DA/SA or striker gun. the LEM pull is just soooo long and light it's weird for me. also I do not shoot using the reset. i was taught to press each shot as under stress you can forget about looking for a reset. ain't gonna happen. so if that's the case the value of the LEM really goes out the window for me.
Very wise advice here. I used to shoot to reset, until a VERY accomplished shooter convinced me to try shooting to reset. Prior to my conversion, I like the LEM. Now I share your opinion of it.

It should be noted, if you shoot a Glock frequently, shooting to reset, you could potentially short stroke an LEM, when shooting under pressure, until you fully familiarize yourself with it.

#48 ·
Due to size, the P2000 is the only one of the three that can comfortably be carried concealed. There will be those who disagree, and that is fine, but this post is my opinion, based on use of all three.

For concealed carry, I recommend the P2000 in 9mm with the LEM trigger.

This video will give you some insight into HK and the toughness of the P2000.

#49 ·
Due to size, the P2000 is the only one of the three that can comfortably be carried concealed. There will be those who disagree, and that is fine, but this post is my opinion, based on use of all three.
The P2000 is the most concealable of the three for sure. Not mentioned is the USP Compact, which is pretty much the same size as the P2000, and even uses the same magazines.

#51 ·
I never cared for the P2000 ever since it came out and I got to play with it. I recently bought the P30SK and not impressed with it either. I'd even say that the trigger pulls in DA and SA suck ass in the P30SK.

My two USPs are pretty decent. Built like brick houses and laser accurate. Trigger pulls may be blah but decidedly better than the P30SK.

I've always maintained that the P2000/P30/P45 were rather lackluster and unfortunately I'm not wrong.

I'm sure that people like these newer HKs because they're being sold but if somebody were to ask me for a recommendation, I'd tell them to stick with the USP even though the damn rails are not picatinny.

#53 ·
I never cared for the P2000 ever since it came out and I got to play with it. I recently bought the P30SK and not impressed with it either. I'd even say that the trigger pulls in DA and SA suck ass in the P30SK.

My two USPs are pretty decent. Built like brick houses and laser accurate. Trigger pulls may be blah but decidedly better than the P30SK.

I've always maintained that the P2000/P30/P45 were rather lackluster and unfortunately I'm not wrong.

I'm sure that people like these newer HKs because they're being sold but if somebody were to ask me for a recommendation, I'd tell them to stick with the USP even though the damn rails are not picatinny.
The DA pulls on the USP guns can be on the heavy. However, the reset, and more importantly (to me) the return is short and sweet.

#52 ·
Had a LEM P30. The P30 is awesome, LEM not so much, for me anyway. There is nothing wrong with the idea, I just don't like how HK implemented it. IIRC, the problem was the light take up and the heavy wall just before break. I never could shoot it accurately at all. I can actually shoot the DA better. Sig's DA implementation is the best, smooth pull throughout with a surprise break. If the HK LEM worked like that I would reconsider it.

#55 ·
The reset on every SA/DA HK I've shot has been fair at best. The SA is decent but there is a good 1/2" of forward travel to reach the reset then another 1/2" of travel rearward to hit the wall for SA. My Beretta 8040, 3rd gen S&W's and Sigs with SResetT have very short resets with little additional rearward travel to make the SA break. The S&W's are the best in both DA, reset and SA.

That said, I'm a big fan of the P2000. The trigger is a very safe and usable SA/DA trigger for duty and SD. I love where the decocker is on the V3 and the fact there is no safety. I'd go P2000 for concealed carry unless you want a more fine tuned trigger, then I would choose a brand other than HK.

I have never fired an LEM HK. I think I have fired a Walther P99 with a similar trigger but there may be differences. I liked the P99 trigger, think it was QA?

#56 ·
The reset on every SA/DA HK I've shot has been fair at best. The SA is decent but there is a good 1/2" of forward travel to reach the reset then another 1/2" of travel rearward to hit the wall for SA. My Beretta 8040, 3rd gen S&W's and Sigs with SResetT have very short resets with little additional rearward travel to make the SA break. The S&W's are the best in both DA, reset and SA.

That said, I'm a big fan of the P2000. The trigger is a very safe and usable SA/DA trigger for duty and SD. I love where the decocker is on the V3 and the fact there is no safety. I'd go P2000 for concealed carry unless you want a more fine tuned trigger, then I would choose a brand other than HK.

I have never fired an LEM HK. I think I have fired a Walther P99 with a similar trigger but there may be differences. I liked the P99 trigger, think it was QA?
Have you tried a USP Compact? The reset and SA travel is noticeably shorter than the P2000 or P30.

#58 · (Edited)
This is a good description of LEM, along with Sig's DAK, by the late great Todd Green.

https://pistol-training.com/articles/hk-lem-vs-sig-dak

My problem with LEM is the long light take up followed by the heavy wall before break. It plays hell with accuracy, at least for me. I just did not enjoy shooting it at all.

As Todd said, the LEM is like a two stage AR trigger. And I'll add: a very very long two stage trigger. It encourages staging the trigger and that's not a good habit to get into.

#59 ·
This is a good description of LEM, along with Sig's DAK, by the late great Todd Green.

https://pistol-training.com/articles/hk-lem-vs-sig-dak

My problem with LEM is the long light take up followed by the heavy wall before break. It plays hell with accuracy, at least for me. I just did not enjoy shooting it at all.

As Todd said, the LEM is like a two stage AR trigger. And I'll add: a very very long two stage trigger. It encourages staging the trigger and that's not a good habit to get into.
I just converted my P2000 from V2 LEM to 4.1, which shortens the trigger travel by 1/3. I didn't think it would make much a difference, but I shoot it noticeably better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.