Glock Talk banner

USP vs P2000 vs P30

40K views 58 replies 37 participants last post by  BuckyP 
#1 · (Edited)
Guys, walk me thru the HK Line: Im thinking of a 9mm for CC what is the differences between:

USP
P2000
P30

Do they all come with the LEM trigger?
Also are the compact versions that much easier to conceal?

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
I have a USPc 40 en route to me after shooting a local LE guys a few days ago. The P30's feel great, haven't shot one yet, but the majority of the complaints are the texture of the grip on bare skin and the size for ccw. The P2000 is a bit smaller then the P30 and has the same grip texturing as the HK45c.

You cannot go wrong with any of them IMO, and the USPc and P2000 are in widespread use with many LE departments and with a few gov't agencies.

Let us know what you decide. :wavey:

Edit to your edit: Yes you can get the LEM in either of the 3. :wavey:

#3 ·
I have the P2000 as an issued weapon. I really, really hate it. It is super finiky with ammo even when spotless. The LEM trigger is a joke at best, the slide stop sometimes catches on my strong hand tumb and prevents slide lock, and the magazine release is absolutely absurd. Please don't further this insanity by purchasing this pos.

The USP full sized isn't great, but better, the .40cal compact is pretty much the same deal. POS.

The P30 has a pretty good feel man. If you are insistent on going with one of the HKs for ccw that is probably your best bet. Definitely 9mm though. Both the USP, and p2000 that I have fired were in .40cal, and very ammo picky, never fully reliable.

Thought about a glock/xd/M&P/Sig?

#4 ·
Ithat I have fired were in .40cal, and very ammo picky, never fully reliable.

My other choice at this time is the SIG 229. The XP is way to expensive for a gun built in Croatia.

#5 · (Edited)
I have the P2000 as an issued weapon. I really, really hate it. It is super finiky with ammo even when spotless. The LEM trigger is a joke at best, the slide stop sometimes catches on my strong hand tumb and prevents slide lock, and the magazine release is absolutely absurd. Please don't further this insanity by purchasing this pos.

The USP full sized isn't great, but better, the .40cal compact is pretty much the same deal. POS.

The P30 has a pretty good feel man. If you are insistent on going with one of the HKs for ccw that is probably your best bet. Definitely 9mm though. Both the USP, and p2000 that I have fired were in .40cal, and very ammo picky, never fully reliable.

Find it odd that your USPc was picky with ammo and unreliable, maybe your USPc was a lemon, or the ammo was out of spec. The usp's are one of the most reliable HK models in any caliber.

As for the LEM trigger why is it a joke? If you just don't like it that's cool, but if one can get used to it, it's a smoother version of a Glock trigger with a shorter reset. :dunno:

And as for the magazine release, you have obviously never had to do weak hand mag dumps and reloads.

YMMV

#6 ·

I don't have a p2000 , but I do have a uspc .40 a P30 9mm , p30 .40 and a HK45. All LEM. Some people don't like the LEM trigger (most that don't fully understand it ) but it is not even close to being a joke.
None of my HK's have ever had a malfunction of any kind and if you don't care for HK's that's your right, but they are not POS's by any stretch.

#7 ·
I have a P30 that goes with me everywhere even in shorts and a t-shirt. I always where undershirts so the aggressive grip does not bother me and feels amazing in hand. I also have a P2000sk (sub-compact) that will be my wife's EDC when she gets her license. The sk is obviously easier to conceal but I can get away with my P30 everyday. Both are utterly reliable no matter what I put in them.

Manny

#8 · (Edited)

Neither my USPc .40 nor my USP .40 have ever had one single stoppage of any kind in thousands of rounds.

I will try not to knock what you are saying, as we all draw from our own individual personal experiences. However, saying things such as "the LEM trigger is a joke" and the "mag. release is absurd" is borderline bogus.

#9 ·
However, saying things such as "the LEM trigger is a joke" and the "mag. release is absurd" is borderline bogus.
+1.

I have a P2000SK, P30, and USPc .45. The P2000SK is LEM; the P30 is TDA. I have parts to change the USPc to variants 2, 6, 10, and LEM. The LEM trigger is what you make of it. If you devote time to practice with it, it'll serve you well. I like it.

The mag release is also a non-issue if you practice with it. I can do magazine changes with my P30 faster than I can with any gun with a traditionally placed magazine release.

As far as concealment goes, the P2000SK is going to be the best, followed by the P2000, then P30/USP series. However, with the proper holster and attire, any can be easily concealed. One thing to note is that the grip texture on the P30 makes it uncomfortable on bare skin and it may pill some clothing (from my experience).

#10 ·
I liked the P30 so I bought one. P2000 would be my second choice.

#11 ·
I've been carrying the P30 as an off duty/secondary employment gun for almost 2 years now. I have no problem concealing it (using either a Ravens Concealment Phantom or a Milt Sparks VM-2) both holsters keep the P30 tucked very close to the body. The grip texture does not bother me (can't speek for others though). The P30's grip just melts into the hand, no other pistol points as natural for me.

#12 ·
The USPc is what it is, an awesome weapon. The P2000 is an evolution of the USPc, introducing interchangeable backstraps. The P30 in yet, another evolution of the tried and true USP line, adding interchangeable backstraps, side plates, and a pic rail.

Either one will serve you well and as for the claim of being unreliable, take that with a grain of salt. If you shoot enough, you'll have a failure on any platform. I've even had failures to feed on my USPc stainless recently, and this failure was linked to a new 10-round magazine.

Of the ten HK pistols I own, I've documented four failures on all of them, firing an estimated 50,000 rounds over the years. Not a bad track record. I couldn't say that about my G23 or my G27 when I owned them. Heck, my G27 surpassed my entire HK failure rate on a single range trip.

Buy what fits you the best.

#13 · (Edited)

I've never had a stoppage of any kind with any of my HKs, or really even heard of any (except the guy who was on youtube throwing his P2Ksk LEM in the mud).

I've also never had any kind of stoppages with my 19C with 2,500~ down the pipe.

Might be worth noting that I only shoot 9mm pistols...but it sounds like you have a lemon. HKs' stong springs like heavier bullets, but 115s have never caused jams/failures or anything but a bang a flash a hole and an extraction.

OP: For carry, skip the USPs if you carry IWB. I had a USPc that was simply too wide, though I loved everything else about the gun. The P30 is bigger, though slightly thinner in the slide, and the grips a tad bigger and a lot longer than the USPc (BTW the USPf is a monster). That said, the P30 is probably the best made all around 9x19 on the market...mine will be a range queen. The P2K is the best option you mentioned, it's about Glock 19 sized, maybe a bit smaller with a flat baseplate on the mag. It's excepted world wide for LEO use, and was given the US government's largest contract for a handgun for the TSA and several other federal agencies whose necessity is questionable.

All that said:

If you're serious about concealed carry, carrying everyday and you've accepted the conceal carry lifestyle, you want the best most practical CC handgun ever made...
GET A POLICE TRADE P7.
It's the best carry pistol ever made. Frame and slide machined from a solid block of steel. Lowest bore access on any pistol ever. More accurate than any of the pistols you mentioned above. 4" barrel in small, perfect for CC size. Thin as all get out. Fixed barrel. Safest pistol ever made to draw, cock and quickly fire accurately from an uncocked and totally safe condition. Single-action trigger on ever shot, some say it rivals 2k+ 1911 triggers. Tiny groups. Tiny.

#14 · (Edited)
Picked up my first and only HK a couple months ago. A P30S in .40. Conventional DA. Have only had it to the range twice. Have shot 180gr federal cheapy, 155gr HST and whimpy handloaded 180gr lead. I only shoot about 20 of the lead at the end of each range session then run a copper scrub pad down the bore to remove lead when I get home. Haven't had a failure of any kind yet. Admittedly low round count though (200rds). As far as the rough texture against the skin, I just made about 10 to 12 strokes of 400 grit sandpaper lightly across the left grip pannel. Still has texture, no change in appearance, but is as comfortable now as any gun I've ever carried. I use a Southern Holsters IWB. Have carried it a few times in shorts and a light, untucked button down shirt. I'm 5'9" 200lbs and had no concealment problems (and yes, I gots me some love handles). My family didn't even know I had it on.

#17 ·

What caliber was your P2000? I can't make my 9mm P2000 or P2000SK choke on anything, from +p+ to sub minor steel loads. It eats anything and everything.

I will admit my USPc .40 won't do super light .40s, but eats anything full power and above.

#21 ·
Neither my USPc .40 nor my USP .40 have ever had one single stoppage of any kind in thousands of rounds.

I will try not to knock what you are saying, as we all draw from our own individual personal experiences. However, saying things such as "the LEM trigger is a joke" and the "mag. release is absurd" is borderline bogus.
+ 1,000,000 on that! I think I may smell a troll? Do you? :whistling:

#22 · (Edited)
I own 3 HK pistols. I have never had a problem with any of them and I'm sure that it will stay that way. People that like to bash HK are usually the ones that haven't owned one much less shot one. There are the people that will keep reassuring themselves that their lesser quality gun is ok in a endless mantra in an attempt to convince themselves that they actually believe what they are saying. I don't have to do that. I carry a HK, I carry the best.

And I only have to say it once!

HK=No compromise. :cool:

#26 ·
I've had the USP, and still have a P2000 and P30. All three are amazingly capable weapons with the P30 being the best "service size" weapon, and the P2000 generally better for concealment. They are an evolution of the USP.

The P30 is, IMO right there with the G19 as the 2 best pistols in production today. The P2000 is very close also.

Next up for me is the HK45c.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.