close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Using snap caps with a striker fired pistol

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by NewtoConsulting, Jan 17, 2013.

1. NewtoConsulting

NewtoConsulting
    Expand Collapse

Guys,

I'm new to Glock and striker fired pistols in general. On my 1911 or Beretta M9 I use my left thumb to cock the hammer when I'm dry firing using snap caps. I am able to reset the gun with minimal disruption to my grip and concentration. This obviously isn't going to work with a Glock. The first time the trigger didn't reset I cycled the slide. That cocked the striker and reset the trigger. The problem is that now my snap cap is on the floor! With a striker fired gun is there no way around this for practice? I guess I'll need to buy more snap caps and load all 13 into my G21 Gen4 magazine to practice. I just tried to dry fire, cycle the slide, catch the snap cap in mid air, lock the slide back, put the cap directly into the chamber and close the slide. It worked but wow that would really distract from paying attention to the trigger. What do you guys do load a mag and then reload when it's empty?

If it was easier to buy Glock magazines I would probably just buy one and designate it as my practice snap cap mag.

I wonder if I practice enough will I experience "SCTF" when the ejected dummy round is leaving the Glock.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. SARDG

SARDG
    Expand Collapse

Don't even suggest that or it will be all over the Internet... folks will be starting threads about it... they'll be sending their guns to Glock for a cure.

3. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr
    Expand Collapse

You don't need to completely cycle the slide. Pull it just far enough to the rear to reset the trigger...maybe 1/4 inch or so.

This way your snap cap isn't ejected each time.

4. NewtoConsulting

NewtoConsulting
    Expand Collapse

Ok that works. I knew there had to be a better way!

5. aliasneo07

aliasneo07
    Expand Collapse

You don't need a snap cap to dry fire a Glock.

6. bentbiker

bentbiker
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

The Glock extractor is not made to jump over the rim of a chambered cartridge. Repeatedly doing so will likely result in a chipped extractor. You should chamber cartridges only from a magazine.

7. jeager

jeager
    Expand Collapse

very important consideration

8. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA
    Expand Collapse

This.

No need to use snap caps.

9. DWARREN123

DWARREN123
    Expand Collapse
    Grumpy Old Guy

I believe Glock now says you should use snap caps for a lot of dry firing, not for disassemble.

10. Arc Angel

Arc Angel
    Expand Collapse
    Deus Vult!

Pull the slide back by, about, 1/8th of an inch and let it go forward again on its own. The extractor will NOT disengage from the case head, and the trigger will reset.

I DO have a dedicated magazine for snap caps. (I have a dedicate UpLULA, too.) The way I do it is to use each cap 3 or 4 times before completely racking the slide and ejecting the snap cap out of the pistol. I usually sit or stand across from the couch while dry-firing; and the couch catches all of my expelled snap caps.

The 10 (A-Zoom) snap caps that I load into my Glock will last me through 30 or 40, 'striker drops'.

Now get this: Do NOT teach yourself to catch any expelled cartridges. You may be able to do this 99 out of every 100 tries; but, the day will come when you AD that pistol.

:headscratch: If I knew what, 'SCTF' is then I could, probably, answer this question.

11. J.B.

J.B.
    Expand Collapse

SCTF=Snap Cap To Face? What I do is what's been suggested, basically doing a brass check to reset the trigger. You should have multiple snap caps to practice failures..not that a Glock would fail

12. SARDG

SARDG
    Expand Collapse

Made sense to me... :)

13. NewtoConsulting

NewtoConsulting
    Expand Collapse

That is what I meant by SCTF.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. tonyparson

tonyparson
    Expand Collapse

This ☝☝☝☝☝☝ Call Glock and they will confirm this statement.

15. NewtoConsulting

NewtoConsulting
    Expand Collapse

Did you seriously just make the gigantic leap to assume that anything I may do with a plastic snap cap I would also do with live ammunition? Unless you know of a way to have an AD with a PLASTIC SNAP CAP then I'm going to be just fine.

16. Returningliberty

Returningliberty
    Expand Collapse

I have another idea for you. Buy a SIRT pistol.

I use it in my CHP classes and it closely mimics a gen3 G17. Adjustable trigger as well.
    I use it religiously for dry fire drills around my house. My GF hates it :D

17. Arc Angel

Arc Angel
    Expand Collapse
    Deus Vult!

Perhaps, you should explain yourself more clearly. :)

This IS the Internet; and you never know who's watching or how seriously they will take whatever you have to say. Next time don't be so anxious to blame me for your own sloppy thinking. If I didn't add that caveat, I suspect another of the board's more conscientious members would have. Both the assumption, and the faux pas are on your head, pal, not mine.

PS: (You're trying too hard!) ;)

#17 Arc Angel, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  18. NewtoConsulting

NewtoConsulting
    Expand Collapse

Ok good advice. From now on I will suggest idiots not make assumptions.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

19. AnthonySmithXR

AnthonySmithXR
    Expand Collapse

On a similar topic, is there anyway to rapid dry fire (ie, some mechanism to reset the trigger w/o messing with the slide). Or is dry firing limited to slow firing? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. AzianDragonz

AzianDragonz
    Expand Collapse

You can use the trigger reset kit from glockstore.com.

http://www.glockstore.com/trigger-reset-kit-for-glock

It requires you to replace the current trigger setup but that's the only way I've seen to dry fire a Glock without having to rack the slide.

It's kinda pricey in my opinion, especially if you get the laser bullet that they also sell. Also if you're using this to practice with your primary HD/SD gun switching out the trigger assembly can be a pain every time you want to switch back to live fire.