close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Using 40cal ammo in my 10mm barrel

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by dannyyates, Mar 19, 2013.

1. dannyyates

dannyyates

Mar 8, 2013
    Altamont Tn,
    I worked for sheriff dept. in my small town. we use are own guns. and i was the only one with a 10mm. and everone keep asking what i would do in case a i ran out of ammo. and my partner had extra clip of 40. we was having inservice. and on range day. i fired a clip of 40. it was a g1 20. there wasnt any diffrents. i could tell the group was just a little lower. i dont know if id try this on a everday base. but deff, would if had to. but wouldnt this be the same as using the 38 special in the 357mag. a 158gr bullet load the c.o.l in 38, is 1.450. the 357, is 1.590. on the 40s&w, 180gr c.o.l 1.125. the 10mm, is 1.260. that is almost the same so wouldnt it be just as safe. or am i missing something. with ammo getting harder to get i might haft try it again.

2. Messer

Messer

Jan 13, 2003
    Central Virginia
    In the 38/357, the rim is what holds the ammo in the correct position to fire when hit by the firing pin.

In the 40/10mm, it's the case mouth. So the only thing holding the ammo in place will be the extractor. While it may work, the extractor isn't made for that kind of abuse, and will probably fail at some point.

Would I do it in a SHTF kind of event? If I had to - yes. But it would be better to get a 40 S&W conversion barrel and be able to run both without worry.

Take care,
    Bob S.

3. oceanbob

oceanbob

Jun 26, 2010
    I do it all the time. Once I ran 500 rounds of .40 in a 2 day period; not a single problem. I have loaded hot 10MM and a .40, hot 10MM and a .40 alternating to fill the magazine then fired BANG-pop-BANG-pop...etc.

The .40 or 10MM round is captured by the extractor as the round 'slides' up the back of the slide into position.. No extra stress is on the extractor. I can imagine perhaps some .40 reloads might have some wear on the rim and the extractor can't grab it but I only shoot new .40 in my GLOCK 20SF. Worse thing that can happen is the extractor misses the case somehow and the round slides into the chamber to far to fire. Rack slide back and drop the round; problem solved. But like I said, never had that problem. Use the same magazine as the G20 for this. (just like you would use the same magazine for the .357SIG and 9x25).

I don't see how a Glock 22 mag (.40) would begin to fit correctly......I am assuming the OP simply loaded up his G20 mag to try this...:supergrin:

I know several people that run .40 thru the stock Glock 20.

4. rdm1962

rdm1962

Dec 22, 2012
    St. Charles MO
    Both rounds head space on the mouth of the case. The 10mm round has a longer chamber. The 40 S&W isn't head spacing properly. The bearing surface of the projectile is now acting as the head space, in the rifling of the barrel. You may get away with it many times. IMO Is it worth the risk of damage to your weapon or even injury. I say if you want or need a 40 S&W just buy one. Do We really need an excuse to purchase another weapon?

5. G29SFWTF

G29SFWTF

Aug 3, 2012
    I've shot 100 rounds of .40 from my G29 and never had a problem.

6. dannyyates

dannyyates

Mar 8, 2013
    Altamont Tn,
    3yrs 9monts 2001-2004 to much stress in a small town where you know everone

7. dannyyates

dannyyates

Mar 8, 2013
    Altamont Tn,
    is it ok to use the 10mm case for the 40 other than large primers should be able to trim them to the 40 wouldnt this be much better brass for the 40 i would think its thicker less bulge in 40cal psi has anyone tried this to see if bulge was less in the same load

8. Yondering

Yondering

Dec 3, 2011
    No, don't waste 10mm brass to make 40 S&W. The 10mm brass is not thicker or stronger. Both rounds run at about the same pressure. If anything, 40 S&W brass is a little stronger, because of the small primer pocket.

Re. your original question, you did fine shooting 40 S&W in your 10mm Glock. It is safe in a Glock, because of the short firing pin protrusion, but only in a Glock. It's not a very good idea in other pistols. Don't worry about the people telling you not to do that in your Glock; they either don't know/understand the difference, or just want something to worry about.

9. dannyyates

dannyyates

Mar 8, 2013
    Altamont Tn,
    ok i dont think im gonna load anymore for the 10 theres another guy that has a 40 and was gonna load them for it i told him i wasnt sure if it would work where the primer pocket is diffrent im sure it would mess with the psi in some way i think ill just put the cases on net after watching youtube it scares me to load any for my 10

10. BruceO

BruceO

Jun 28, 2002
    I always knew there was a reason for upper case letters and punctuation in the written language.

Messer, you'll never convince these boys that shooting .40's out of a 10mm barrel is a bad thing. This discussion has been going on since there were both .40's & 10mm ammo. There are good and definite reasons not to do this but $'s get in the way of all of that. Everybody should do what they feel is best but until the manufacturers say that it's OK to shoot ammo thru one of their guns for which it is not chambered, I'm not buying in. I mean, it's 100% safe right up until the point something bad happens. This is also a different situation that a warning against shooting reloads in a gun.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  11. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

Dec 31, 1998
    Indianapolis, IN
    There would be ANOTHER problem with this "desperation" scenario: your partner's .40 rounds would be in a mag that would not lock into your 10. Transferring those rounds to one of your 10mm mags during an action would be ... implausible.

12. wdp

wdp

Dec 27, 2011
    Twin Tiers, NY
    I totally agree with this statement. In fact I purchased a KKM precision barrel for my G20.

13. Andrew Wiggin

Andrew Wiggin

Dec 15, 2011
    Are there still cops out there that refer to the feed device for their duty weapon as a "clip?"

14. dannyyates

dannyyates

Mar 8, 2013
    Altamont Tn,
    I Think i need sell all my 10mm stuff off. And see about getting. That glock 18. That gunny shows off on the glock web page. That would be so nice to have in a 10.Has anyone got to see one.

15. samurairabbi

Dec 31, 1998
    Indianapolis, IN
    Permit me to paraphrase a classic Wizard Of Oz line:

Pay no attention to that troll behind the screen

I will buy your 10mm gear. Of course, I will ask to receive it BEFORE sending payment.

16. dannyyates

dannyyates

Mar 8, 2013
    Altamont Tn,
    Yeah i better keep it. I Sure wont never be able to have the 18. Im Just happy to have 15rd mags.They get there way with the 7rd deal.WILL SUCK. I watched that video. And took mine apart. Would be easy to make full auto. I just dont need the A.T.F at my door.

17. samurairabbi

Dec 31, 1998
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hmmm ... So, along with your eloquent written style and your mastery of the subtle nuances of English composition, you are also a capable machinist! Glocktalk is privileged to be graced by your presence!

18. Andrew Wiggin

Andrew Wiggin

Dec 15, 2011
    I thought you were a cop. Why would you have to worry about magazine, errr, clip capacity limits?

19. dannyyates

dannyyates

Mar 8, 2013
    Altamont Tn,
    no im no machinist just talking bout something i seen and there isnt many parts to the glock so it doesnt take a machinist to figure out how something works and like i said i like to have one but would not never doit and on the writing yeah in not writing a book no to be rude but if you cant understand why reply have a good day