close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Used pick-up Ford or Chevy?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by pizza_pablo, Dec 20, 2011.

1. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

I am starting to hunt for a pick-up, for dump runs, home improvement, utility, etc. What I have in mind is about a 1995 model, give or take a few years, regular cab, long bed, 4x4 and / or diesel would be nice. I wouldn't mind a Dodge with a cummins, but the wife is adament against Dodge, because we had a 1990 Shadow that did the runaway thing with her and the kids, several times.
    The wife says she would rather have a newer model with an extra cab :dunno: so that doubles my thought of what to spend. I was around $4000, but her "request" brings it upto about $7000 or $8000.

So, the questions are:
    Which make is beter than the other and why?

Is 200,000 high mileage for a diesel?

What is high miles for a gas engine truck?

Any other thoughts are cautiously welcome. :supergrin:

2. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

It doesnt matter. Get what you like. I have my likes as do most people but brand "fan boys" ensure that at some point they will be backing the losing team.

They are both well made with their pro's and cons. Getting a good deal on one in good shape is more important that what brand it is. 200K for a diesel could still have some good life left in it. There are a lot of urban cowbows used trucks out there....never worked hard, shown off a lot. 200K for a gas motor can be a little on the risky side.

3. HexHead

HexHead

The f-150 has been the best selling truck for the past 34 years for a reason.

4. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Eh, GM and Chevy together outsell it...and they are the exact same truck. Not really trying to prove a point about which is best, just showing how the point could be made either way.

5. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Liberty or Death

Parts are generally cheaper for the Chevy. Both Ford and Chevy are pretty decent. Owned both, like both. Have a Chevy at the moment, '96 S-10 with a 5.7L V8 in it. Love it, way quicker then my '88 Mustang, 5.0L was.

6. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I've owned all three brands and each has their advantages & disadvantages. For a dump and Lowe's runner...it's not going to make a damned bit of difference but as mentioned above, the Chevy will have the cheapest and largest availability of parts. HH

7. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

I'm living in the truck country, but don't own one yet.
    Going by my own observations I would say that I can see more, older Ford trucks than the GM counterparts on the roads, while there is more new GM made trucks around lately. I'm not sure if this is proof to anything, but it seems that the Fords last longer, while GMs costs less and are more comfortable (at least the models made lately). Good luck.

8. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

It would honestly come down to the trucks you are comparing (in like-shape, year, model, and most importantly condition).

A badge or brand name on a used truck means relatively nothing to me. I want to know how much work I can get out of it before I have to put more money into it. Generally I stick with Ford but I would go with a GMC or Chevy if the opportunity presented itself. Same with Dodges though never had much luck with them personally.

9. Unlocked

Unlocked 4 8 15 16 23 42 CLM

I've loved every Ford truck I've ever owned. I've cursed every Chevy. Ford makes the only real truck IMO.

10. chris in va

chris in va

Just like guns. Had a bad experience with them early on, so people are against them all their lives. She needs to understand the Ram truck isn't the same as her Shadow.

11. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

200,000 is high miles for anything. But it also doesn't mean you should avoid a good deal if you find a nice gasser with that mileage. I wouldn't touch a diesel with that mileage. A gas motor is much cheaper and easier to replace.

I sold a '94 Chevy with 200,000 on it back in 2002. Sold it to a young lady going to school in College Station. She drove it to 400,000 with only another fuel pump replacement.

I don't like Ford products as a whole, but their trucks are long lived and durable.

If you like tinkering, don't leave out the Dodge. Just be aware that past about 8 years old their bodies and suspension start to get real loose, and their original electronics will have long since stopped all function.

12. southernshooter

southernshooter

I have had many of both. Check the engine for:blowby, blue oil smoke, white head gasket problem smoke, black over rich fuel smoke. Oil leaks, engine rattles, and noises. Wind it out to the red line before you buy it. Automatic transmission trouble is a big issue with higher mileage trucks. Might be able to find one that has had a transmission rebuild with a warranty. I recently bought a 95 F150 for $1500, spent $300 on a new radiator and a few other repairs and sold it for $2600. Being able to do most of your own work will help.

13. RightGlock1

RightGlock1

I have a 95' Ford f250 diesel with 200K miles. I'd trust it to take me anywhere in the country. Some will say it's too far gone, others will say it's just getting started.
    As with any vehicle, maintenance is the key. I like the aesthetics of the Chevy/GMC, but have always found them to be a little higher in the used market. YMMV, I vote for the Ford.

14. Cmacc

Cmacc

Just spent the last 3 months looking daily at online ads, used dealers and craigslist. I can note these 2 observations:

*Used trucks with ext. cab, 4x4, AC and cruise are expensive.

*Used Chevys all have rusted out cab corners and used Fords all have rusted out fender wells. (I'm in the upper Midwest)

I finally bought a 1990 Ford F-150 for $100. It has a strong 4.9l inline 6 and smooth shifting auto tranny but the only sheet metal that isn't rusted out is the tailgate. Got it from the brother of a friend. So I'll keep it a year and save for something better.

Good luck to the OP.

15. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

I have said so, chris, but then, we're using logic :supergrin:

16. G31

G31 Millennium Member

My brother had a '95 Chevy Z71 that went 180,000 miles before he traded it in. It was in great shape, but he did have to rebuild the engine at 170,000 miles. Other than that, no problems. Between Ford and Chevy, you will be OK either way. It's really going to come down to maintenance and care taken up to the point that you get it. If someone neglected the vehicle, you will see problems. There is no reason either can't go to or past 200,000 miles under proper care. That said, I would never trust a used vehicle with mileage even near that, because it's just too close for comfort, if you know what I mean.

Honestly, I am not a fanboy of any particular make or model, but just can't get behind anything Chrysler. They've been having issues staying afloat for quite a long time, long before the economy turned. I've studied this extensively (college grad project), and one big reason is their terrible quality control. Even the Ram trucks are nothing but problems. For the model years you are looking at (~'95), the Ram has had more TSBs and recalls than you can shake a stick at, including steering, transmission, lighting, and braking problems, just to name a few. I would do some research on this, if you don't want to take my word for it.

Though these examples are only a few, EVERY person I've ever known who owned a Ram truck of any model year has had transmission problems (eight in all), many resulting in rebuilds. I've seen two engine swaps, numerous steering and axle issues, and problems with the interior falling apart. Additionally, people I've known with other Dodge and Chrysler vehicles have had problems. These vehicles are just not built to last.

Any chance of hope I may have had in Chrysler was lost when we had a problem with a new '09 Jeep. It was disabled when the water pump blew, after 28k miles. The Jeep is gone now. We only got it because of the lifetime warranty they had at the time...I decided to take a chance on a newer one, and my wife wanted an SUV. She's back to a new Infiniti G37x.

17. Detectorist

Detectorist

The Ford Ranger V6 4.0L is legendary for its durability.

18. Z71bill

Z71bill

How the truck was treated is MUCH MORE important than the brand.

IMHO - gas prices are at a low point and over the next 6 months will start to jump up close to $4 / gallon (national average).

If you really want a pick up truck - if you wait a few months - the price of used trucks will be dropping.

19. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

That's it right there... Treated well they'll all last a long time with the exception of the inevitable lemon... Treated poorly and maintained irresponsibly they'll all begin to break down sooner than later barring a few mystery trucks that live no matter what...

All things being equal, they will perform well within their intended usage if maintained as prescribed... 200,000 isn't really a big deal for a well treated truck... The Dodge's with the cummins is really like the gasser interms of usability with the overall truck taking into consideration... What I mean is the rolling truck assembly will crap out in about the same time frame with either engine, but the Cummins goes well over 500k all the time but there won't be a truck left to carry it without a whole lot of highway miles or a whole lot of maintanence and parts replacements...

20. Rickaroo

Rickaroo