close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Used G22 Trigger Issues

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Arizonan, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Arizonan

Arizonan

Just purchased a used Glock 22. While the gun seems to be in good shape, the trigger feels all wrong. It starts heavy and there is very little difference between the slack and point where it breaks. Once it has been pressed it does not remain back but retreats about a half inch. It does not lock there but just kind of hangs up, a little push and it will go right back to the start position. How can I fix this trigger?

2. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Field strip the gun and look at the frame, look between the two rear frame rails where you see the trigger bar cruciform. Under that cruciform you'll see either a coil spring, or a colored piece of plastic.

In this picture, the one on the left is a normal coil spring. The one on the right is an Olive Drab colored NY1 trigger spring. Early NY1 trigger springs were black. NY2 trigger springs are orange.
    http://photos.gunsamerica.com/d/2199-2/picture+8bsm.JPG

You probably have one of the NY trigger springs. You may have to hold the trigger to the rear while you field strip.

I've never used an NY trigger spring but from what I understand they snap into the bottom of the trigger housing, if you turn the trigger housing over you can see the hole that the NY trigger spring snaps into, and you just use a punch to push the spring out of that hole.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

3. Arizonan

Arizonan

4. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Well the only downside is that it makes for a heavier trigger pull. If you want to keep it then you don't need to do anything. If you want it back to factory weight, you'll need to get a regular trigger spring and either find someone like a Glock Certified Armorer to detail strip the frame and swap it for you, or detail strip and swap it yourself. If you find an Armorer to do it, they should already have a trigger spring to install or at least they'd be able to order one.

You might also check which connector it has. The standard connector has no marking on it(5.5lbs with coil trigger spring), the "minus" connector has a dash or minus marking on it(4.5lbs with coil trigger spring), and the + connector has that marking on it(about 8lbs with coil spring).

In the picture below, the two red arrows point to the dash marking on the "minus" connector.
    [​IMG]

The minus connector with an NY1 trigger spring supposedly gives a trigger pull of around 6lbs, which isn't much heavier than the standard factory set up.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  5. Arizonan

Arizonan

It has the "minus" installed but it's still a heavy pull. Will the new trigger spring keep the trigger back once it's pulled? Right now it just flaps around like a broken leg.

6. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Butch says, friends don't let friends shoot a NY trigger.

7. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

A normal coil trigger spring will allow the trigger to remain to the rear once pulled.

If you want the trigger pull weight to be factory(~5.5lbs), you'll need a coil trigger spring and a standard connector. If you install just the coil spring and leave the minus connector, it'll be ~4.5lbs.

8. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

+1

With the "-" I don't find it that bad but it's up to you ultimately. I'd swap it out though....

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  9. Arizonan

Arizonan

Thanks for the concern, Just dry firing it makes me sick to my stomach.

10. Arizonan

Arizonan

Thanks for your help Voyager. Ordering a new spring.

11. MikeG36

MikeG36

I had that same setup in my G19. Just swapped out the NYI for a stock coil spring. Find a Glock Armorer or competent gunsmith to swap it out for you.

12. Arizonan

Arizonan

Thanks for all of your amazing help. The NY trigger is history. Replaced with a $5 Glockmeister competition spring. Trigger is crisp and stays put once pulled.

13. SCC

SCC Member Me

is it a carry gun ?

14. Arizonan

Arizonan

It is primarily a range shooter. Current carry is a G26 with a Kahr P380 backup.