Glock Talk banner

Use of Force: Hollywood vs Reality

12K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  SCmasterblaster 
#1 ·
#2 ·
And to quote another poster: "Not too hard to relate it to carry issues. Anyone who chooses to carry a firearm, or other weapon, and uses it, will go through many of the same processes. They're all homicides."

#4 ·
In Texas, all homicides go to the grand jury.

Hollywood does make things difficult. I'm giving a lecture on wound ballistics and selection of defensive handguns, and I think about a third of it will be trying to dispel Hollywood myths. People do not get blown back 6 feet with a 44 magnum, people do not die instantly. They don't sit and give you words of wisdom then just go limp. The only round that I have seen that stopped a person instantly every time, were direct hits with 40mm grenades, and those are too heavy to carry around every day.

One thing they didn't cover, on TV, someone shoots someone, and is still on the investigation 20 minutes later.

#5 ·
Aw heck man... their SA revolvers are 60 shooters, the 'Homie stance' is a sign of toughness, and running with their gun in both hands (either right by their heads or between their legs) is SOP.

Hollywood is, uh, Hollywood. By definition it is fake.

Deaf

#9 ·
Depending on shot placement, parts of them might... :whistling:

Sorry, Doc, I had to... :cool:
Melon shots due tend to spray, but

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCzD5uhSViY"]Myths Revisited 2 - Blown Away - YouTube[/ame]

#11 · (Edited)
Good thread. Thanks Sam. Lot's of people (I know no one on Glocktalk does) don't realize that a 'dead man' can still kill you. Lot's of people forget about the dead mans 'five seconds'.

Most hunters have seen a deer run 10 to 40 yards and even jump a fence (like I have) when their heart has literally been blown to small pieces with a centerfire rifle hit that also broke the off leg.

Imagine what a drugged up individual could do in that five seconds after a puny handgun hit, even from a dreaded 10mm.

ETA Being a retired military pilot, I can well appreciate the fact that sometimes you only have seconds (or less) to make life or death decisions.

Yet the investigative agency has days, weeks, or even months to analyze your actions and decide if you did right or wrong. Doesn't matter if you're alive or dead, they're going to look at everything and figure out what you did, or should have, or should not have done.

#15 ·
Excellent!

#16 ·
Good thread. Thanks Sam. Lot's of people (I know no one on Glocktalk does) don't realize that a 'dead man' can still kill you. Lot's of people forget about the dead mans 'five seconds'.

Most hunters have seen a deer run 10 to 40 yards and even jump a fence (like I have) when their heart has literally been blown to small pieces with a centerfire rifle hit that also broke the off leg.

Imagine what a drugged up individual could do in that five seconds after a puny handgun hit, even from a dreaded 10mm.

ETA Being a retired military pilot, I can well appreciate the fact that sometimes you only have seconds (or less) to make life or death decisions.

Yet the investigative agency has days, weeks, or even months to analyze your actions and decide if you did right or wrong. Doesn't matter if you're alive or dead, they're going to look at everything and figure out what you did, or should have, or should not have done.
Human reaction to bullet wounds is an inexact science.

#20 ·
You are probably right. I would expect that my 9mm 115gr JHP at 1400 FPS would destroy a significant length of the spinal cord or a notable portion of a brain or heart. 5 or 6 rounds would be certainly conclusive. :cool:
Not if you hit them in the extremities only. I've seen a number of people shot more times than that and lived.

That's why I normally recommend carrying the largest caliber that you can be accurate with.

#22 ·
Thanks for the bump, Russ. Great video and one that should be re-circulated regularly, preferably among citizens NOT familiar with shooting under stress and whose only exposure is TV/Hollywood myths.

#23 · (Edited)
This is a 17 minute video that is well worth the time.

What with all the programs on TV, the Internet, movies, whatever viewing method people use that contain violence using firearms...well, just watch the video. :cool:
Thanks for the bump, Russ. Great video and one that should be re-circulated regularly, preferably among citizens NOT familiar with shooting under stress and whose only exposure is TV/Hollywood myths.
I concur with both of your comments. While probably most of us on these forums are aware of much of what was covered in the video, I would bet many of the people we know are ignorant of much of this. Perhaps spreading the link on our email contacts lists would be a valuable service.

#25 ·
Yup... and one round fired from their trusty 9mm is all it ever takes to drop a bad guy in his tracks for good. Makes me want to get rid of my 10mm and get a 9!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.