close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Use of Force: Hollywood vs Reality

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Sam Spade, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    And to quote another poster: "Not too hard to relate it to carry issues. Anyone who chooses to carry a firearm, or other weapon, and uses it, will go through many of the same processes. They're all homicides."

2. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

3. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    In Texas, all homicides go to the grand jury.

Hollywood does make things difficult. I'm giving a lecture on wound ballistics and selection of defensive handguns, and I think about a third of it will be trying to dispel Hollywood myths. People do not get blown back 6 feet with a 44 magnum, people do not die instantly. They don't sit and give you words of wisdom then just go limp. The only round that I have seen that stopped a person instantly every time, were direct hits with 40mm grenades, and those are too heavy to carry around every day.

One thing they didn't cover, on TV, someone shoots someone, and is still on the investigation 20 minutes later.

4. Aw heck man... their SA revolvers are 60 shooters, the 'Homie stance' is a sign of toughness, and running with their gun in both hands (either right by their heads or between their legs) is SOP.

Hollywood is, uh, Hollywood. By definition it is fake.

Deaf

5. scottydl

scottydl

May 31, 2005
    The Middle
    You'd think people would know that. But for many members of society, DirecTV and Dish Network are the only outside contact they have with the "real world" ... so it must be true, right? :upeyes:

6. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Depending on shot placement, parts of them might... :whistling:

Sorry, Doc, I had to... :cool:

7. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Melon shots due tend to spray, but

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCzD5uhSViY"]Myths Revisited 2 - Blown Away - YouTube[/ame]

8. Caver 60

Caver 60

Jun 12, 2007
    Midwest
    Good thread. Thanks Sam. Lot's of people (I know no one on Glocktalk does) don't realize that a 'dead man' can still kill you. Lot's of people forget about the dead mans 'five seconds'.

Most hunters have seen a deer run 10 to 40 yards and even jump a fence (like I have) when their heart has literally been blown to small pieces with a centerfire rifle hit that also broke the off leg.

Imagine what a drugged up individual could do in that five seconds after a puny handgun hit, even from a dreaded 10mm.

ETA Being a retired military pilot, I can well appreciate the fact that sometimes you only have seconds (or less) to make life or death decisions.

Yet the investigative agency has days, weeks, or even months to analyze your actions and decide if you did right or wrong. Doesn't matter if you're alive or dead, they're going to look at everything and figure out what you did, or should have, or should not have done.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  9. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I wonder if all homicides go to a grand jury in the twin states? :upeyes:

10. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Human reaction to bullet wounds is an inexact science.

11. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Or maybe it is an exact science, with innumerable variables.

12. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    You are probably right. I would expect that my 9mm 115gr JHP at 1400 FPS would destroy a significant length of the spinal cord or a notable portion of a brain or heart. 5 or 6 rounds would be certainly conclusive. :cool:

13. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Not if you hit them in the extremities only. I've seen a number of people shot more times than that and lived.

That's why I normally recommend carrying the largest caliber that you can be accurate with.