close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Use of Email Address on the forum

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by HotRoderX, Jan 26, 2011.

1. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    I noticed quite a few people have been posting there email address on the forum using the following format myemail@mail.com which is dangerous. Spammers use spiders or web crawlers to harvest email address on forums. Best way to post your email address on a forum is "myemail at mail dot com" .... When a spammer uses these tools they use a set of rules that look for @ and .com by using words u can confuse most these crawlers this is mainly just a friendly heads up.

2. Toyman

Toyman

May 6, 2003
    West Michigan
    And the same regular expression evaluator that they use to look for the email address can by used to look for the same pattern you propose - so no, it's not the best way, and for a good spam spider, it's not even a good way, and to the spider, there's no difference.

To match a regular email address like me@mail.com:
    \b[A-Z0-9._%-]+@[A-Z0-9.-]+\.[A-Z]{2,4}\b

To match an email address like you showed: me at mail dot com:
    \b[A-Z0-9._%-]+.at.[A-Z0-9.-]+.dot.[A-Z]{2,4}\b

and it spits out all the matches.

3. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Which is why everyone should have disposable e-mail accounts for internet posting, website purchases etc ... you can dump it as soon as you starting getting spam and then create a new one.

4. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Lovin Sparks Nv!
    I took a screen capture of my email address , and then use the mailto: command in the web code... and it seems to have kept me safe, but I have always wondered why the spammers couldn't catch the 'mailto:' piece and use it?

Am I safe, or fooling myself... :supergrin: