close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Use of 40-9 conversion barrel

Discussion in 'The .40 S&W Club' started by KenB22, Jan 19, 2010.


  1. KenB22

    KenB22
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2009
    231
    3
    I have a G27 with a 40-9 LoneWolf conversion barrel. Works 100%. I shoot about 75% of the time with 9mm and the remaining 25% with .40 cal.

    Am I doing anything that will make my gun less reliable by doing this? Not sure if I'm wearing down parts differently when using 9mm vs. .40 ammo possibly causing a problem down the road. Thanks
     

    Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. SDGlock23

    SDGlock23
    Expand Collapse
    Glockoholic

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2005
    6,460
    116
    Location:
    Under the dome on the flat earth
    I don't believe you're hurting your pistol in the slightest. I've got the same barrel for G23 and it's ran great. My advice is to keep doing what you're doing and enjoy it, you're not harming your G27.
     

  3. KenB22

    KenB22
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2009
    231
    3
    thanks
     
  4. Boxerglocker

    Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2003
    6,136
    21
    Location:
    Lynnwood, WA
    Glock recommends a 3K round change interval for the recoil spring assembly. I would suggest buying a second for carry (break it in with a few hundred rounds) and just using the other as a range only spring (which you can run till if fails, if it ever does)
    Mark the range one with a little red nail polish so you don't get them mixed up.
    I do this with all my self defense, home defense Glocks.
     
  5. TangoFoxtrot

    TangoFoxtrot
    Expand Collapse
    OIF 04-05

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2008
    4,272
    79
    Location:
    Nowhereville, USA
    Hey Boxer, I never heard this before.Where did you get this info?
     
    #5 TangoFoxtrot, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  6. cpthowdy

    cpthowdy
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2007
    34
    0
    Location:
    Bloomington,MN
    Did you have to replace or change out any parts when you did the caliber swap? I read somewhere that the extractor and another part or two should be changed to work properly with the 9 in a 40 frame. Is it true, or do you just change barrels and you're good to go?? Thanks. Gary.
     
  7. Boxerglocker

    Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2003
    6,136
    21
    Location:
    Lynnwood, WA
    Newest factory armorers course... I didn't attend personally but got the low down for one of the guys in our club that did. I know several other armorers and they all say the say, plus i called just to verify. Makes sense to me and i kinda already did that anyway...
     
  8. Boxerglocker

    Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2003
    6,136
    21
    Location:
    Lynnwood, WA
    No need for range purposes in most cases... some guys do to ensure reliability should they choose to carry with it. Something I would never do personally. I have very good luck with the barrel and mag changes alone.
     
  9. KenB22

    KenB22
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2009
    231
    3
    I have not changed anything. 100% reliable with nothing more than barrel change and mag change. Put over 2000 9m rounds through it to date. In fact, I am carrying the 27 with 9mm barrel right now. I have no concerns it will work if necessary. Many say to make sure you put 100 rounds of your favored jhp through your gun to make sure it feeds well etc. I have about 300 jhp 9mm rounds through it with no problem.
     
  10. Boxerglocker

    Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2003
    6,136
    21
    Location:
    Lynnwood, WA
    I had a LWD conversion for my G27 with well over 15K rounds through it. (I have since passed it on to my briother in law as I no longer have a G27, though I still have one for my G23) It would run 99% as you are doing not a problem. However that 1% ever once in a while would happen. Usually it was during a local IDPA match, under the clock in a a somewhat simulated stressed situation.

    For the difference in cost of carrying premium 9mm SD ammo as opposed to .40 S&W... that in all likelyhood hopefully you will never need.
    IMO you are taking a rather stupid and needless risk, should you get in a SHTF situation. :upeyes:
     
Loading...
Similar Threads Forum Date
G35 40 to 9 conversion barrel WTB Wanted To Buy Nov 2, 2015
Threaded 40-9 conversion barrel for G35 General Glocking Jul 20, 2015
WTB: Glock 40-9 conversion barrel Wanted To Buy Jan 23, 2015
CZ 75B 40-9 conversion barrel? CZ Club Mar 28, 2011
KKM 40-9 Conversion Barrel G 35 Wanted To Buy Jan 14, 2009