use 40 Magazine W/ 9mm ammo?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by 8DuckCaller, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Have Gen 4-23. Ordered 9mm conversion barrel. Can I use 40 magazine with 9mm ammo. Will ONLY use this for range practice, NOT CC.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Black&TAN

Black&TAN Senior Member

Get yourself some G19 mags.

Also pick up a Gen 4 G19 recoil spring assembly, which you'll need to pair with the 9mm barrel.

sent via Tapatalk

3. Have RSA on order. Will get G19 mags when I can find them, but will the 40 mag work?

4. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member
    CLM

Use 9mm magazines. You can use the .40 mag, but you will get jams with it.

:cool:

5. You can but reliability will suffer badly. Get the 9mm mags. I have a G32 & bbls in 9mm & 40. No spring changes, gun runs fine w/ any std pressure 9mm load.

#5 fredj338, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  6. Glockdude1

CLM

[​IMG]

You can have quite a bit of fun with the 9mm mags and a 40-9mm conversion barrel.........

:supergrin:

7. Wouldn't want to part with one of those nice mags would you? I have the 357 sig. and the 22 conversion kit for my G23, now I'm looking forward to shooting the 9mm. Handloaded years ago(rifle), but should have started for handgun. Lack of planning on my part. Have been a shooter since I was 6, now I'm 61. Now here I am looking for supplies!!! Just goes the show age doesn't always make you smarter.

8. Glockdude1

CLM

Hi, I 'm Glockdude1 and I'm a hoarder.

:tongueout:

9. Black&TAN

Black&TAN Senior Member

Fine with Gen3, but not with Gen4. Needs an RSA for the 40 to 9mm conversion.

sent via Tapatalk

10. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr trout fear me!

I was going to post my Gen3 G35 runs fine in 357Sig & 9mm with just a barrel change.

11. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

If you can find them, I'd get some G19 mags, or G17.

12. The .40 mags will run the 9's about 95% reliably, fine for range use. It'll let you practice clearing jams as well.
    You already said you weren't going to bet your life on them, so game on.

13. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Just a thought - I wonder how often Glocks with their proper magazines experience jams? Are we drilling for an event that never happens?

14. FYI, I just ran 17 9's out of a 15rd G22 mag this afternoon, no problems.

#14 FloorPoor, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  15. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr trout fear me!

I've read the mags need to be tested individually.

FWIW, I've run eight of my older mags in a Gen3 (don't remember the numbers on the followers) and they run fine without any problem - in 40, 357Sig, and 9X19. Simple barrel changes. I keep these mags together with the barrels for this pistol.

I just haven't had time to run this test for our Gen4's.

At this point, Glocks are working so well for me that it just doesn't make any sense to buy another brand in 40/357Sig.

For what it is worth..........

16. A lot! I see it all the time in IDPA. Mostly during weak hand or strong hand stages. The old limp wrist is usually the issue. Also, changing springs is always problematic. Most GLock FFT I see are from that, people messing with springs to gain some tiny advantage, then lose it all on having to clear a malf.:upeyes:

17. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Well one thing is for sure - if I have to choose which hand to shoot with, it will be my strong (right) hand. No jams.

18. Ah, the point of practicing weak hand, you may NOT have a choice.:wow: Even strong hand only, I see a lot of limp wrist FTF in GLocks. It's technique, not grip strength.

#18 fredj338, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  19. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

So am I!!!!! :cool:

20. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I have great grip strength for a 57-year-old man.