close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

USA Glock Production: Why is Glock Doing This?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by martin-curtis, Sep 12, 2013.

1. martin-curtis

martin-curtis

Feb 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Okay, I tried to search for an answer but got lazy:supergrin:Actually, couldn't find anything pertinent.

So why is Glock manufacturing product in the states now?
    What I have heard:
    Glock started producing USA marked G17's in the States for other foreign contracts a few years ago and that the firearms would not be sold in the US.
    What is the true story behind the sales now; "future bid on a US Gov. contract (military) possibly?:dunno:

Thank in advance for everyone's insight:wavey:

2. Sigobsessed

Sigobsessed Ruggedly handsome

Jan 16, 2012
    Rochester ny
    Probably foresaw some kinda executive power that could outlaw the import of military weapons. Some glock models have been used in the military so they may not be able to be imported Into the us anymore.

3. BBMW

BBMW

Dec 3, 2005
    Foreign currency issues. Issues with import restrictions. Costs (I'm sure labor is cheaper in GA vs Austria, lower shipping costs.)

4. AreaCode201

AreaCode201

Jul 31, 2013
    Slightly off topic... does anyone know which models Glock makes in GA and what percentage of the overall production the USA Glocks represent?

5. Dave514

Dave514

Jul 6, 2013
    USSA
    Productivity. Some people buy Made In USA only. Tax. Shipping/Distribution ease. Foreign arms rules.

Same reasons Toyota makes so many cars here.

6. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Nov 22, 2010
    BMT, TX
    I agree with the second half. Costs.
    agreed.

7. martin-curtis

martin-curtis

Feb 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    My thoughts concur for the most part; lower costs.
    I think the "Buy made in the USA" is a byproduct of the move to manufacture in the States to reduce costs.

Does anyone know if there any US made product being exported or any upcoming proposals to replace the Beretta M9.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  8. Cirdan

Cirdan

May 16, 2013
    They can also avoid some of the import rules. The BS only applies to foreign manufactured and imported guns. Glock's been playing fast and lose with some of the rules to get their scores up. If they manufacture here, it's not a problem.

Wonder if this means they'll come out with a .380? They have one overseas, but it can't meet the import minimums.

9. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Mar 25, 2003
    Phoenix
    Isn't it funny that so many foreign manufacturers such as Glock, Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Toyota, etc ship "parts" to be assembled here to avoid importation taxes while at the same time the US market is sending so many factories out of country for cheaper labor? Where does the balance lie?

10. Dave514

Dave514

Jul 6, 2013
    USSA
    The balance is in the productivity needed to make quality. It's fine to have some I beams welded together in Mexico or China but when it comes time to wire the electronics you need a country that can turn out better quality like US or Japan. Having worked in a Toyota factory and had a friend with a US factory that looked into moving part of his operation to China, that's the story I got from both ends.

11. With .mil leaders being so very focused on a manual safety, I don't think that is very likely.

12. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    The .380 they currently make is the same size as their 9mm counterparts. Other than for collectors, can't see that being very popular here. Now if they made a much smaller .380, I'm sure they'd peek some interest.

13. CPD#125

CPD#125

Dec 1, 2008
    In a recent Glock Armorer class this subject was brought up. We were told that reason most of the Glocks made here in USA are shipped overseas is because Europe still has an issue buying weapons made in Germany/Austria because if WW2. They don't mind seeing the USA but want nothing to do with the word Austria.

14. JBP55

JBP55

Mar 4, 2007
    Louisiana

Glocks are currently in use by the US Military and have been for several years.

15. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

Oct 20, 1999
    Maine USA
    My guess is, that
    a) production is cheaper or equal, so safe on transport cost.
    b) Imports are taking longer and longer
    c) Trying to satisfy demand

16. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011
    It has to do with taxation and importation/exportation laws which are basically a shell game.

You're absolutely right and the ironic point is that the same Republican Party we vote for to maintain our gun rights refuses to pass laws that would prevent this in one sweep of the pen. Meanwhile, they are too busy approving the expansion of H1B visas for even more foreign workers who'll work for a mere pittance. :steamed:

17. Cashgap

Cashgap

May 3, 2013
    Music City, USA
    This is the actual answer, straight from Glock, numerous times. I made a minor edit to show how it was related to me.

However, the alternate theories are more interesting and will become the answers "everyone knows".

18. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Mar 25, 2003
    Phoenix
    My brother in law is a design engineer for Bose, doubtless one of the finest electronic companies in the world. Several years ago they moved one of their main plants to Mexico, just several miles south of Yuma, AZ. So now he has to commute across the border every day because while they have unskilled workers all the upper staff are still Americans.

19. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Strange . . . . . . . :upeyes:

20. Cashgap

Cashgap

May 3, 2013
    Music City, USA
    Referring to my notes from the April class:

"Early US made have four letter prefix. US production began on a limited basis for export to countries that still ban military products from Austria. 2004, frames only. 2009, slides, barrels, complete pistols. Now excess US production is used to meet overall demand that exceeds ability to import. Gaston Glock insists on identical specifications and process, including import of all machinery from same sources."

Here's all the data you need to prove it out:

http://legacy.prio.org/NISAT/Small-Arms-Trade-Database/ResearchersDatabase

They COULD manufacture the 25 (.380 subcompact) here for US civilian sale, but would have no reason to do so.

Parts count, cost, capacity, size, weight would be identical to G26, with one half the muzzle energy yet similar recoil. Which means everyone on every forum would say "Yeah but I'd buy one just to say I have it" then 99% of them wouldn't.

And when they can sell every 9mm/40 they can make, every 380 would be a zero-gain sale. They'd just be losing a little bit of margin due to production inefficiency.

By that you mean, they fully meet the 1968 import requirements on every gun imported for civilian sale I suppose? Which might mean adding thumbrests to the grip mold, groves to the compact and subcompact trigger faces, and adjustable sights as standard.

Similar to this: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125357990638429655.html

Protectionists try to tilt playing fields to favored manufacturers, and anyone who reads the rules and sees a clear path to compliance gets labelled a cheater! "No fair! We wrote those rules so that you would just give up or LOSE, not figure out a way to win!!!". :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013