close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

US officials recommend lowering drunken driving threshold to .05 blood alc

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by A6Gator, May 14, 2013.

1. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    Don't see it really being workable. Other countries have less people owning cars, and using public transportation. Besides, its fairly difficult to get one through the court system now at .08. :upeyes:

2. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    NTSB would save more lives by mandating dynamic driving simulator testing for all new drivers, all drivers 65 years and older, any driver with multiple citations, and drivers found responsible in an injury accident.

3. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Mar 1, 2012
    The Rust Belt.
    We should also make everyone have a license to drive...yet I encounter dozens of people per week with no OL or suspended OLs.:tongueout:

Besides, how many guys here have arrested someone with a .08 who wasn't drunk 'per se' i.e. pissing their pants or passed out behind the wheel of their wrecked car?

4. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    I don't know if 65 should be the age, but elderly drivers having no clue, because they can only remember one way to go, can't see at night, etc, is a huge pet peeve of mine.

When I get to that point, I will stop driving because it is not fair to the motoring public.

5. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Mar 1, 2012
    The Rust Belt.
    We probably get 5 calls a week for intoxicated drivers who turn out to be elderly folks.

My grandmother voluntarily stopped driving at 72. I have no problems driving her to wherever she needs to go and she's ok with it, took some getting used to but she's good now.

6. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    Won't ever happen and would be useless in my state anyways. .08 isn't even a conviction half the time. Here the number doesn't get you a conviction, still have to show why they were impaired. The machine isn't an instant conviction. Lowering it without changing the rest of the law here would be pointless, no one would charge it hardly.

7. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004

I use that age because the FAA specifies greater testing for private pilots of that age and mandated retirement for commercial airline pilots.

If you think elderly drivers with no clue are an issue in Ohio, come to Arizona where the very same people buy a Class D Diesel pusher motor home and mindlessly drive them to places they have never been to and have zero reference to. Previously, the largest vehicle they owned and had any experience with was a Buick 4 door.

8. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

Jun 12, 2006
    OK, USA
    I can't get a warm fuzzy about an .05 BrAC being the legal limit. Like DUIs aren't already a big enough PITA, this would really lend credence to people who said they only had two drinks.

9. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    Bet it was champagne, or silver in color! :whistling:

Besides, they are probably on vacation from Ohio!

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  10. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    Darn skippy!

11. This is crazy. The limit used to be .10

I bet the drunks causing accidents are over .10, so why do they have to go after the person who just has a drink at dinner?

12. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004

Because MADD hounds the legislatures to act and the nanny-staters in those legislatures are only too happy to help.

MADD is little more than a Carrie Nation temperance movement now.

13. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Yeah, but that would COST money instead of MAKE money, so obviously a bad idea....

Randy

14. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004

In Germany, it costs anywhere from a couple thousand dollars to many thousands of dollars get a drivers license. They treat driving as a serious endeavor. In the U.S., we nearly hand them out like EBT cards and treat it as more time to do anything, but drive.

15. Nine Shooter

Nine Shooter Average Guy

Apr 25, 2008
    Lowering the legal limit is not the solution. They need to make it easier for us Deputies/Officers/Troopers to enforce existing DUII law.

I love the way the English/Australians do it. Pull someone over for failing to maintain lane/running TCD/other moving violation. See bloodshot watery eyes, slurred speech, and odor of alcohol at driver's window. Administer calibrated/certified PBT roadside. Arrest and take offender to jail if over the limit.

No SFSTs, no observation times, time to consult an attorney, Intoxilyzer, etc. Here in Oregon DUII checkpoints aren't even allowed.

16. billinms

billinms

Jun 25, 2004
    From what I was told after receiving my 'enhanced' certification on my ccw, the bac limit in ms now is .05 if you carry a gun! If you have an altercation you better not have had more than one drink!:faint:crying:.

17. rockapede

rockapede

Sep 3, 2009
    Not relevant to the thread, but I think you've earned the longtime lurker/first poster award for today.

18. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    Found some interesting internet sources about DUI's in other countries... makes our penalties look pretty lame.

19. ^^^
    Our on the books penalties would be fine, if applied. Our actual day-to-day sentencing is a joke.