close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

US Citizenship for CCW?

Discussion in 'Heart of Dixie Glockers' started by Munich_Germany, May 18, 2009.

1. Munich_Germany

Munich_Germany

Oct 9, 2008
    Alabama
    Do I have to be a US citizen to apply for a CCW permit in Alabama?
    I am a German Army Officer serving in Ft.Rucker, i live near Rucker but I do not have a US citizenship.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Yes, you have to be a legal US citizen. Here are the guidelines for my county:
    http://www.shelbyso.com/page.php?p=permits

3. hagar

hagar Millennium Member

Sep 7, 1999
    Columbia, SC
    Alabama might be different, but neither AZ or SC had any issues with issueing me a CCW before I had my citizenship. You do have to be in the US with either a green card or an immigrant visa, not a student visa or visitors visa.

Some states issue out of state CCW permits, and may also do so for an overseas gun carry permit.

4. Norman

Norman Non nobis CLM

Oct 29, 2004
    Permanent residents are okay in Florida. You have to be a legal Permanent Resident of the U.S., not just a visiting alien. Florida's permit is valid in Alabama (even if you have a non-resident FL permit).

"(5) The Attorney General's Office of the State of ALABAMA has indicated that Alabama will honor BOTH resident and non-resident Florida licenses. However, the Alabama Attorney General notes that there is some uncertainty as to the limits of Alabama's reciprocity law as it pertains to non-resident licenses. Pending clarification by the Alabama Legislature or a decision by an Alabama court, he urges non-resident Florida license holders to exercise caution. Refer to the Alabama AG's Web page for the latest information."

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  5. Munich_Germany

Munich_Germany

Oct 9, 2008
    Alabama
    Thanks for your information! Ok in Alabama, i see, i must have the US citizenship. I have a active US military ID card, but that does not matter, i think?
    Maybe, is it possible to apply for a CCW permit in Florida, also when I am a legal resident of Alabama, without living in Florida? I think that would be my last possibility.

6. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Heart of Dixie
    For a definitive answer, you need to check with the Sheriff's Department in the county that you have a residence in. The Code of ALabama makes no distinction about citizenship and eligibility. The example cited above (in posting #2) is of Shelby County, your county may be different.

I know in Jefferson County, there is no such restriction. I have several acquaintances that have resident alien status and have gotten thier pistol carry permits.

7. fatdog

fatdog

Jul 26, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Get a Utah CFP and AL will honor it....they don't require citizenship, just legal residency

8. GRR

GRR

Dec 29, 2004
    Bessemer, AL
  9. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Dec 30, 2008
    Baldwin Co, Alabama
    In the State of Alabama you do NOT have to be a US citizen but you MUST be a permanent LEGAL resident, have a 'green card', and be a resident in the county to which you apply. I have had one for eighteen years.