close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

US Army Artillery: Any Gunners here?

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by mikeg81, Dec 12, 2007.

1. mikeg81

mikeg81
    Expand Collapse

*Disclaimer: Yes i'm Canadian posting in your US Army forum...roll with me*

I hear alot 'bout your infantry, but rarely about the Artillery...
    Who here is a Gunner?

mikeg81

30th Field Regiment RCA
    Afghanistan with E Battery, 2 RCHA

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Big Time

Big Time
    Expand Collapse
    Senior User

WHAT? They are the king of battle,but at the moment they are probably at the doctor getting sized up for some new hearing aids:rofl:

3. jlday70

jlday70
    Expand Collapse
    Oompa Loompa

Hey I lost 40% of my hearing to the damn 155 howitzer before I went to EOD..

4. rebbryan

rebbryan
    Expand Collapse
    .40FireFighter

Not a gunner, I just talk on the radio and watch the impacts :)

5. deadday

deadday
    Expand Collapse

Haven't noticed any gun bunnies hangin around here....

drew

6. fourdeuce2

fourdeuce2
    Expand Collapse

I always felt like mortars were red-haired stepchildren for the Infantry.:supergrin: We spent almost all our time on the guns, but I guess they weren't big enough to be considered artillery. What's even funnier is that mortar crewmen can be assigned to Infantry, Armor, and Cavalry units(I was in all 3), so we'd be stuck in the middle everywhere we went.:wavey:
    I got out before they brought in the 120mm mortar, but I know the 4.2"(107mm) mortar was big enough to ring your ears if you hung around when they were firing without your earplugs.:faint:

7. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I was a 13B (Canon Crewman) on active duty - when I reenlisted in the USAR I got a "2" on my profile for hearing.

In my day, you had better NOT be caught wearing earplugs while firing - it was STRONGLY suggested that hearing your chief, etc., was much more important than your hearing.

8. WS6

WS6
    Expand Collapse

Retired, 13B4X.

9. Nappy41

Nappy41
    Expand Collapse

I am in Iraq and the only thing that artillery soldiers are doing is guarding detainees. Thats usually for MP's but since artiallery have nothing to do they are guarding detainers right next to bang bangs and MP's.

10. fourdeuce2

fourdeuce2
    Expand Collapse

Yep, the earplugs we usually used were our fingers(if we were lucky enough to get our fingers in our ears before the gun fired). When I joined the Army they made me take the hearing test about 6 times, hoping I'd pass it, but then they checked my paperwork and saw I was going to be a mortar crewman. They said "Ah, you won't need to worry about your hearing anyway." Of course, that was back in 1975, just after Vietnam was over and they were pretty desperate for people.

11. FDC

FDC
    Expand Collapse

You need to get out and about-see some things.

Most GS arty units in Iraq are doing adhoc MP duties, running BDOCs/mayor's cells, or convoy security. Most DS arty units are usually land owning maneuver units(read "infantillery"). A rare few sections per DS battalion are shooting, either counterfire, close supporting fires, or terrain denial. NG arty units, with a couple of exceptions, tend to perform the same roles of active GS arty.

In A'stan, as mikeg81 knows, artillery units are putting rounds down range AND owning ground.

I'm a 13D4P, and once 50 odd other mofrackers get promoted, I'll be a 13Z5P. It looks like my next trip will be to A'stan.

Mike, I've trained with your guys before. A Canadian 105 battery (with Giats) came to Turkey for an AMF exercise in 97. We also did an exchange with a mechanized battery(M109A5) based in Valcartier. We went up there for a month, and they came down to Fort Bragg for awhile.
    DAMN good people. It's always a pleasure to work with the Canadian military.

12. chR|5

chR|5
    Expand Collapse
    needs gas/ammo

Haha, I feel the same way! Though we do have the biggest tubes on base, 105mm, pfff. Charge 4 in the track makes me kekkle :embarassed:!
    Sorry for the hijack, I wouldn't call us artillery, but the Scouts say otherwise.:upeyes::supergrin:

PFC chR|5
    Assistant Gunner

13. sgtlmj

sgtlmj
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member
    Millennium Member

I was a 13E20. I don't think the MOS exists anymore though. Maybe turned into 13D?

Rock of the Marne!

14. FDC

FDC
    Expand Collapse

Yeah they combined 13E technical & tactical fire direction guys with 13C pushbutton tactical fire direction guys. Thus a jack of all trades 13D, but master of none was created. Two people were killed at Fort Drum due to Fort Sill's idiocy. There are still a few old 13Es running around that still pass along some knowledge of gunnery.

15. sgtlmj

sgtlmj
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member
    Millennium Member

I still have a RDP, GFT and TFT around somewhere. Charts and darts baby!

16. 3/325

3/325
    Expand Collapse
    Infidel Artist

13F phoning it in.

Which, incidentally, I never actually had to do my job once the command staff found out I could draw. I was putting together briefings and charts from that day forward. Not bad for a gig, though. The office had heat in the winter and a/c in the summer. :supergrin:

17. sgtlmj

sgtlmj
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member
    Millennium Member

Ooo a FIST'er. We all know what FIST stands for... :whistling:

18. 3/325

3/325
    Expand Collapse
    Infidel Artist

Have you had your FISTing today? :supergrin:

19. deadday

deadday
    Expand Collapse

You guys wanna talk about the real red headed bastard children, you mortars have got nothing on the poor FISTrs :rofl::rofl: At least in Scout and Bang-Bang Companies you mortars get your own plt. and vehicles....We always dump our FISTrs in with the mortars...:tongueout:

drew

20. fourdeuce2

fourdeuce2
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, but then you go back to your parent unit. Mortar crews are assigned to Infantry, Armor, and Cavalry units, so they stay there. I have fatigues which were spotted with blue, yellow, and red&white paint from having to paint stuff the color of whichever type of unit I was in. When I was in the Armor battalion they even made us wear tanker scarves with our dress greens, even though we weren't tankers. They also made us sit in on tank gunnery classes. Guess they figured they could use us as tankers when we weren't busy firing the mortars.:rofl:
    BTW, FO(FIST) used to be a part of the 11C career field. We had our own FO crews until they took them out. When they made the change, they didn't even switch the people who were working as FO to 13F(at least not in the unit I was in). They just took some people and sent them over to the Artillery field.:dunno: