Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Urban Defense Plan for Major SHTF Senario

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by TangoFoxtrot, Apr 3, 2012.

1. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    Urban and suburban residence.

What is your plan if a major SHTF senario ( Civil unrest, solar EMP, terrist attacks, major fuel stortages, etc.) happens and you can't for whatever reason bug out. What is your defense plan?
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  2. Protus

Apr 6, 2008
    what is major?
    Mad max/red dawn/zombies
    or a few days with out utilities( for some that is a major shtf event).

Right now in my AO if it was the 1st style( the typical internet wet dream)
    It would go a lil something like this.

1- gather all family(wife and kid)
    2- top off any supplies- not going to the store but filling up extra h20 barrels etc, while utilities are still up- charge batts.
    3- If the event is violent( riots,zombies,paratroopers from cuba and south america) arm family - this step can be made to #2.
    4- open comms- TV, radio,SW and Ham. Send out emails to a few or make calls to address issues,start plan B etc.
    5- lock down- ride out what we can, and set up watch times,go over basics ( where FA kits are,ammo/mag bags, EE routes and way points to meet up if we are forced out), harden a safe area in the home.if it is an NBC event we suit up, decon, make safe areas, set up filters/poss pressure room.go over our closed door ROE( aka no one gets in alive)
    6- if the event shows signs that we can bug out we will.
    7- if we stuck in the middle of zombie land- well My ROE will go from "stop, ill shoot .." to ask questions later.Again im going by major shtf, and for me thats pretty much everyman for himself.

in the end if im stuck in ****ville, im gonna do my best to keep my family alive. Besides being burned out or over ran by a horde, we have the capability to outlast most in my AO due to the amount of preps/plan we have in place.

im already starting to implement "bug out" plans as we speak due to the amount of issues flooding my AO as it is...and there's only 70+ k in my town
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

3. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    Choose a different place to live now.

Be out of the city and out of the path of refugees that will be heading for the "food" that we keep in the country somewhere.
  4. Toyman

May 6, 2003
    West Michigan
    If you live in an Urban environment, your judgement is probably already flawed. What makes you think that your judgement on preps is going to be correct?

If you live in an urban environment, you better have a fortress built, because you're probably not getting out.

Come on, your commute is bumper to bumper madness and you think when the SHTF you're just gonna drive out of there? Really?

Think about it, nearly 30% of the time you're at work. In some places, if just one bridge is out or blocked with traffic, you're not getting home anytime soon.
  5. Protus

Apr 6, 2008
    now come on guys..your not playing nice with the OP..he wants to know what you would do if you stuck it out at your condo in a city pf 400k people......:whistling:
  6. This is the reality I am faced with. Although I don't believe that things will get as bad as TEOTWAWKI, I don't plan on leaving the burbs. Even if I did leave, I foresee the same thing as Toyman. It will be too late if it comes to that.

It's not realistic in my case to move. I can't afford to move out to the middle of nowhere. Instead of bugging out, I see myself joining forces with neighbors and freinds.
  7. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    If you can't bug out, the gotta bug in. Not being sarcastic, just that's all that's left. If bugging in, response depends on type of shtf as others have said. I honestly don't know how to plan a defense for an urban situation anymore; haven't been in a typical urban/suburban setting in quite a while.

Create hardened areas with reinforced (against bullets) walls or at least wall sections maybe..? Everybody gets a gun and everybody carries that gun; definitely. Trash cans & other containers get emptied, get new clean liners, get reinforced with duct tape for strength (a la barrel hoops) if need be, and then filled with water & covered. Charge every possible device and battery. Do all possible laundry, dishwashing, etc. Thermos(es) of coffee are your friend, but coffee's my friend now anyway... :embarassed:
  8. (1) Blackout curtains, don't forget under the doors. Nobody home.

(2) Quiet, turn that radio down. Nobody home.

(3) Trunk of car holds back-up bugout gear, including a change of clothes, food & water, etc, hidden under junk and trash. If my building is destroyed or burned, maybe I'll get to it before the looters. Maybe not.

(4) Another cheap stash of bugout clothes, food & water hidden offsite somewhere. I haven't picked out a good spot, but public storage places and parked vehicles could be targeted, and the woods will be full of eyes.

(5) Hardened doors & windows, fire extinguisher, water, food, weapons, etc right here in the hidden fortress, for the nobody home defense.

(6) Lights on, dogs playing in front yard, cleaning guns on porch or balcony while chatting with like-minded neighbors. Nobody worth messing with at home in this stronghold castle. Passing out free 2L bottles of water and cheap canned goods to polite people in need, while excess supplies last.:nutcheck:
  9. Dexters

May 3, 2004
    Have we been getting a lot of these lately or is it just me?

They seem 'trollish' to me - similar to the 'Closing exists from cities thread.

First the post provides no information.

What is a 'Major SHTF"?

Where is the OP bugging out to? Does he have a bug out location - how far away? Or, does he plan to live off the land.

Single? Wife? Children?

What preps does the OP have at home?

What time of the year is this scenario - spring, winter, summer, fall?

What is the OPs plan?
  10. Option 6 is my plan.
  11. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    I missed the suburban part of your post, my fault, sorry.

In the city I think that your screwed, in the suburbs that are correctly positioned around a city... Not in the refugee path and with the ability to grow a little food in your garden. Personally I think that the suburb could be one of the best places to be.

Survival keys:

Water supply, filter and calcium hypochlorite
    Stored food
    Defensive weapons
    Neighborhood organization
    A garden

You need a group to survive in the burbs or in the country, otherwise the opposing force will roll over you or snipe you IMO.
  12. bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    What is your defense plan?

My defense plan is very simple. Before shtf, I continuously review new equipment that comes on the market, keep advancing my skills, exercise and keep up my meds. Those are items that I can control.

After shtf, I adapt. Before shtf, I have contemplated other people's responses to the potential crises. After shtf, I operate based upon those speculations (based upon historical research).

Most of post shtf is keeping a low profile. Unfortunately, I will have to "network" with people less skilled or who were previously unprepared.

Sometimes, there is an unspoken assumption in this forum. I articulate it as follows. The assumption is that your potential opponents will not adapt, not change, and be totally irrational. They will; just like your incompetent neighbors and relatives adapt, change and go up the learning curve. When that happens, it will become grim for you. All the bs about rural vs. urban will disappear after a few weeks.
  13. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

Jan 27, 2001
    Clarksville, TN
    Yeah, in a medium to large city you are just screwed. Having a well stocked GHB is absolutely essential, as is being able to evac ASAP. Waiting around puts you in the middle of hundreds of thousands of other people doing the same thing. Think about the NYC blackouts. The first guys to hoof it probably got out of Manhattan 5 times faster. Alas, most of us would probably stay at the job until it was blatantly obvious that nothing was going to improve.

Barring a violent/deadly crisis (falling meteorites, paratroopers, ice storm) I think most folk will be relatively well behaved at least as long as the sun is up. Come nightfall though people will start to get hungry, thirsty, and scared. That is NOT the time to be on the street. Use your GHB cash stash to get a hotel room, stay with a friend, stay at work, whatever. Your window to walk out is over as the risk assessment has fundamentally changed.

If you live in the city then space is a premium and a year of stored food, a metric ton of water, and elaborate armories are not feasible. You have to act FAST and stockpile what you can while you can. Hit up the nearest store for canned food before the masses figure it out, load up your tub and every container you own with city water while it is flowing/potable. Then it is turtle time and you are a ghost until the troops come in and restore utilities or start the evacuation. REMEMBER SANITATION! One of those makeshift toilets is absolutely vital, as just pooping off your balcony will expose you. At least wait till nightfall. Hopefully you have a patio garden.

But really, the best course of action is to have a BOB and be quick to use it. You ought to have friends/family in the 'burbs you can evac to, link up/resupply, and continue on to your final BOL. I'm not really sure just how flammable modern cities really are, but I can only imagine that there would be at least some sporatic fires from accidents, damage, and probably arson. Bugging in is just too risky unless you have a relatively small and isolated building where you can control the risk of fire. But flooding, an earthquake, or a dirty bomb may render your dwelling untenable and you have to be prepared to evac no matter how bad it is outside (though in a dirty bomb scenario if you can seal your apartment you may be better off).

There was a half decent movie a few years back about a guy who bugs in during a pandemic outbreak and the challenges he has to deal with. Can't remember the name but it takes place in LA IIRC.
  14. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity

Normally I'd respond, but I've seen so many urban/rural food fights on this forum since I've been here, I think I'll sit this one out.
  15. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    Knowing when ta go is key.'08.
  16. Dexters

May 3, 2004
  17. Dexters

May 3, 2004
    You can just refer them to this thread.

Tired of-'I'll be secure and prepared on my farm.' response for SHTF
  18. Dexters

May 3, 2004
    So true. The most difficult part is to work the plan - sit and wait. You have your preps, stay home, exercise and wait for things to settle down. After the initial insanity outside is over you can assess the situation.
  19. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    Dex,have you read my "Decisions" thread.'08.
  20. Dexters

May 3, 2004

Yes! I was there. It is a good thread.
    My situation is a bit different - I don't have a BOL. I live in a suburban location. Right now I'm about 1,500 mi. away from home in my RV.

I'm thinking about going a bit more rural later in life.