close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Upgrading Vista

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Packin' Heat, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Packin' Heat

Packin' Heat

Jan 17, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I just got a new dell laptop and it came with vista home premium. I have Vista Ultimate. Its not the “upgrade” vista, but the whole kit and caboodle for Ultimate. Can I upgrade this way? Will I loose anything? Is it as simple as putting in the ultimate disks and letting it go?

2. Toyman

Toyman

May 6, 2003
    West Michigan
    Yes, it should work just fine. If it's not designed to do that it will tell you.

3. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

It will work but it's not recommended ... to avoid any problems you should really do a clean install.

4. Packin' Heat

Packin' Heat

Jan 17, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    hmmm. well the laptop is brand spanking new so there isn't anything really on it now anyways....well except all the stuff dell puts on it, dell dock and others misc stuff. although if I'm not mistaken I believe dell included all the disks for that (hopefully). and if not, no biggie I suppose.

5. Sgt. Schultz

You should make the system restore DVD's first ... new computers give the user the ability to create a set of system restore DVD’s, most manufactures do NOT included any discs.

6. RTmarc

RTmarc

Mar 18, 2008
    Birmingham, AL
    Dell doesn't require you to make restore DVDs. They ship a disc with their systems that has all of the necessary device drivers and software on it. Before you do anything, verify that you do have that disc.

7. Sgt. Schultz

Not the two new Dells I setup for a customer last week, I had to create restore DVD's and driver cd's ... there were no discs in the boxes when I opened them.

8. That's odd. Every Dell that my family has purchased, most recently being an XPS laptop, have all included a manual and a set of system restore CD's that included the OS and drivers.

9. Packin' Heat

Packin' Heat

Jan 17, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Dell gave me:

vista home premium reinstall
    drivers and utilities
    media direct
    works
    roxio

there is also a recovery partition.

I was thinking that as long as I can image that partition and put that away, I should be golden no?

does a clean install kill partitions? also there is talk of accessing Dell Factory Image Restore utility using F8 during startup. if I do a clean install, does this die too?

it would seem like if I do a clean install on C:, the restore partition, called D:, should remain untouched and ever present in case of emergency no?

10. Sgt. Schultz

Don't know what to say .... these came from WalMart and did not have any discs in the boxes.

11. Sgt. Schultz

Never tried that …

Only if you change/delete them … but if you use the Dell restore that’s not an option.

No … as long as you use the Dell restore tool.

If you use the Dell restore process none of the partitions will be change.

12. I think the Dell's for "small business" now include the disks. The "home and home office" Dell's normally do not include the disks. For a time the disks were optional for the "small business" models but later they included the disks or sent them later as many failed to ask for the disks when they bought the PC's.

13. kilroy2721

kilroy2721

Feb 14, 2002
    Florida
    Dell gives you the option of having the restore software with the purchase of your PC. If you bought it from Wallmart who knows...they may be selling them to Walmart without the restore discs they just put the restore on a hidden partition.

I am always in favor of doing a fresh install on a clean HDD. I have seen too many upgrades gone wrong. Besides if you do this you can get rid of all of that junk they put on those PC's.

14. Detectorist

Detectorist

Jul 16, 2008
    Missouri
    Call Dell and ask for all the backup software on CD/DVD. They'll gladly send it to you for free next day delivery.

Inspiron laptops have a recovery partition with the full image. Lattitudes do not.

15. havensal

havensal Nozzle Jockey CLM

Aug 14, 2003
    Western, NY
    What does Ultimate have that Home Premium doesn't that you need?

Seems like more trouble than it's worth to me unless you need to get onto a network. :dunno:

16. Sgt. Schultz

17. havensal

havensal Nozzle Jockey CLM

Aug 14, 2003
    Western, NY
  18. Go Sharks

Go Sharks

Jun 9, 2008
    I know I want the security and Dreamscene Also Remote Dekstop is a goodthing to have which Home premium does not have.