close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Upgrading my brick

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by ATI_RAGE_, Jun 27, 2005.

1. ATI_RAGE_

ATI_RAGE_
    Expand Collapse
    1911 Fanatic

My Volvo aka brick is going through some upgrades...

1. NPR IC -- Done

2. New 3" exhaust -- Just finished turbo downpipe and next weekend starts the welding of the new cat and muffler.

3. Turbo camshaft --- Should be here Tuesday

4. Boost upped to 11 psi ( currently at 8.4 during a hot day 105-110F) -- After exhaust and camshaft. ( in the end I'll probably push it up to 12psi depends because fuel maps on stock ecu are very agressive so pinging and detonation could be a factor)

5. 36lb injectors up from the 29lb stockers.

6. MSD coil and new plugs/wires. -- Got the parts just need to do it. Probably next weekend

I'll include pics and dyno charts after I am done. If anyone can recommend a place to dyno a car in PHX I'd appreciate it. I might be able to get a few other friends to come along also.

This is the NPR IC I picked up over the weekend.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Rob1035

Rob1035
    Expand Collapse
    Skeet Surfer

kick ass, turbo volvos rock!

3. streeter69

streeter69
    Expand Collapse
    This is Kewl

Make sure you find someone with a dyno and have it run to check out you exhaust readings. I would hate to see a grown man cry if it melts down;P

4. Asha'man

Asha'man
    Expand Collapse
    eat the eat!

Nice clean NPR. :) What'd you pay for it, if I may ask?

Do they fit into bricks as well as they do into Foxes?

Brian

5. ATI_RAGE_

ATI_RAGE_
    Expand Collapse
    1911 Fanatic

It's a drop in for bricks I paid 270. Crackhead prices I know.

Streeter69 I'll keep that in mind. I gotta find a place that does dyno testing.

6. Asha'man

Asha'man
    Expand Collapse
    eat the eat!

Ouch, yeah. I paid $125 for mine.

It's quite the IC, though, and even better that it just drops in. Keep us posted with progress. :)

Brian

7. ATI_RAGE_

ATI_RAGE_
    Expand Collapse
    1911 Fanatic

That's very good. Here are is a pic of it in the car.

8. ATI_RAGE_

ATI_RAGE_
    Expand Collapse
    1911 Fanatic

Camshaft is in ... should be installed in a couple of weeks.
    :) :)

9. Asha'man

Asha'man
    Expand Collapse
    eat the eat!

Sweet. I'm guessing your stock radiator fits? I have to use an Explorer radiator to fit between the inlet/outlet of the IC.

Brian

10. ATI_RAGE_

ATI_RAGE_
    Expand Collapse
    1911 Fanatic

Stock rad fits , the NPR's are about the same size as the stock volvo ones just about 1 " wider and 1" longer.

11. 22/45

22/45
    Expand Collapse
    Snail Driver

More details, please ;f

<-- '83 244 and 245, plus a '99 S70 at the house. Only the wrong-wheel drive one is boosted :(

12. ATI_RAGE_

ATI_RAGE_
    Expand Collapse
    1911 Fanatic

lol the FWD

That said the s70's are beasts.

I got a B230FT, redblock 90+ ( 13 mm rods ) on right now. IIRC 530 head, 90+ manifold. Currently running LH 2.4, although MSNS may *may* just be in the works.

I want to see how it does with the new exhaust, cam , and injectors before I mess with the ecu. If I do MSNS ( MegaSquirt n Spark) I can really do some awesome stuff.

If you are interested you can always +t one of the other Volvo's.

Lot's of stuff on it at turbobricks.com .

Here's a pic of my engine

13. 22/45

22/45
    Expand Collapse
    Snail Driver

I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to go standalone on his 242TI - it's already somewhat modded, and being able to fully program the ECU would make a world of difference.

Then again he's thinking about swapping in a B230FT, which means I'd get his current B21 for one of my 240's. He also has a non-intercooled 244 parts car at his dad's house that we keep talking about swapping in to one of mine. But then again, mine both run so well, I hate to mess with them ;f

My 245 will turn 245k miles today, and my wife's is somewhere around 320k, if we can trust the former owner (odo has been broken for years).

14. ATI_RAGE_

ATI_RAGE_
    Expand Collapse
    1911 Fanatic

160k here and runs like a champ. If he goes to the B230ft try to find one that is from say a 940 94 and up, they have piston oil squirters helps out the longevitey of that engine.

Tell your buddy to wait from what I hear their will be a plug and play kit soon in the way of ECU's. Unplug your old ECU and plug in MSnS, that would be very awesome. Then you can have a everyday driving map and then maybe a "fun" may 20 psi boost ;)

Edit: I saw an odometer fix not too long ago if you want I can dig around.

15. 22/45

22/45
    Expand Collapse
    Snail Driver

Yep, he's got the newer 940 engine. He's forgotten more about Volvos than I'll ever know. I'm still kicking myself for not buying his '79 242GT that he sold to re-buy the TI. Have you ever seen the rally cluster in the GT? Sooo cool.

Re: Odometer fix - if you're talking about the new gear from IPD, I don't think it applies to mine. Both our 240's are '83 models. I think the fix is for '86 and up, or whenever they changed the sender.

16. ATI_RAGE_

ATI_RAGE_
    Expand Collapse
    1911 Fanatic

Yeah the 940 engine is pretty nice. Wow you passed up on a 245GT, don't worry I kick myself for not buying a Colt 1911 that was US gov issued. BTW what does your buddy have done to the car?

I got a buddy here who is fixing up a 245 he just found some GT seats in a junkyard very good condition he's gonna run them in his car, they look good.

[​IMG]

Some guy awhile back had a set for sale on TBricks.

Yeah from 86 just looked it up...eh getting parts is sometimes 1/2 the fun. ;Q

Junkyards are a great spot though for old cars esp Volvo's. If you want I'll ask around. If you get a chance you might want to search around in Tbricks they deal with alot of the RWD and older Volvo's.

17. 22/45

22/45
    Expand Collapse
    Snail Driver

Yep, had to pass on the GT. Just wasn't in the budget at the time. I did find the 244 not long after that - got it for $750. Friend pricing on the GT was more like $1500.

I'll see if I can get the mod list for my buddy's TI, he has a decent amount of stuff done to it.

I'm not too worried about the odometer in my wife's car, since the gas gauge still works ;f

18. ATI_RAGE_

ATI_RAGE_
    Expand Collapse
    1911 Fanatic

LOL that 940 wouldn't be Eric's red/maroon 940...

19. ATI_RAGE_

ATI_RAGE_
    Expand Collapse
    1911 Fanatic

Just did a 3" exhaust and downpipe, it sounds sweet, and I'm pushing about 9.5-10psi now. ;)

20. 22/45

22/45
    Expand Collapse
    Snail Driver

Sweeeet. Was it custom or a ready-made kit?