close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Upgrade Questions

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by RaiderRodney, Jun 9, 2005.

1. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

May 22, 2003
    North Carolina
    First off, I have learned so much from all you on this board. This is my favorite tech board!

I have decided to upgrade and want to build my first PC, woohoo.

I have good cd drives, hard drives, and graphics card. I'm leaning towards the 775 socket pentiums...probably the 3.0ghz, 800fsb, 2mb cache.

Motherboards...I like ASUS. I like the looks of the P5P800, only thing I don't like is it doesn't seem to have any RAID options.

Memory...leaning towards 2 - 512 sticks of Crucial Balistix PC4000 DDR.

Case...the Rosewill TU-155 with a 400w PS ( I am optimistic about the PS, all reviews say it is pretty good...but I dunno)

Any suggestions or comments? Should I be looking at another type of pentium or is the 775 sockets best now? Better motherboards, etc?

thanks for all the help!!

2. pyblood

pyblood

Dec 22, 2003
    Mississippi
    You made a good choice with the motherboard manufacturer. ASUS is a good company.

I am not trying to discourage you from buying an Intel based PC, but if you are going to be gaming, I can’t help but recommend a Socket 939 AMD Athlon 64 CPU. They are cheaper than P4s and they perform just as good/better than P4s. Another thing is that AMD usually doesn’t require buying anther motherboard when they come out with a new CPU. A simple bios update is that you may need. I am not dogging Intel out, because I have several Intel based PCs, but I just don’t like that a new board is required in order to run their newer CPUs.

I would not use a Rosewill power supply. I would recommend a company like Antec, Enermax, Thermaltake, OCZ, etc. I just don’t believe that a $53 case has a good power supply. Using a cheap/inadequate power supply can damage your hardware and create Windows blue screens of death. In other works, if you plan on purchasing that case, I would definitely buy a good/solid power supply. Have you take a look at other manufactures like Thermaltake, Antec, and Cooler Master. They make some pretty good cases. I have a Thermaltake Tsunami, and I love it. It’s not an inexpensive as that Rosewill, but it’s one of the most well constructed cases that I have ever seen. The Antec Sonata is another good case (I got one of those too), and it includes a 380-Watt Antec TruePower power supply that should be sufficient for your needs. I know that it’s a rock solid case/power supply because it runs my PC in my living room. I have a P4 CPU on a P4C800-E Deluxe board. I have 5 hard drives (2-80GB SATA on RAID 0, a 120GB SATA, a 160GB IDE, and an 80GB SATA), 2 optical drives (DVD burner and combo drive), and an ATI All-In, Wonder 9600. The computer/case/power supply is whisper quite.

Just out of curiosity, why are you choosing PC4000 DDR? Are you planning on overclocking your CPU?

I wouldn’t worry about the RAID because not a lot of newer motherboards have IDE raid. They have SATA RAID, but not IDE. You can always buy a PCI IDE RAID controller card, and supports IDE hard drives and has support for RAID 0/1/JBOD.

What about sound? Are you going to use the onboard sound or do you already have a sound card?

3. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

May 22, 2003
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the suggestions ;)

I am also weary of the case PS. I have a sound blaster audigy to put in it. And of coarse I will overclock it ;f