Glock Talk banner

Update on the Mobile Match

13K views 97 replies 20 participants last post by  BamaTrooper 
#1 ·
So EDE and I went to the range to meet with the SO range officers and decide what set ups to use. With out giving away the actual stage set ups, we are going to be able to run a 3/3/2 maybe a 3/3/3 depening on the number of ROs.

As we get closer, we will be recruiting ROs, preferably ones that can be there both days, but if you feel like volunteering, let me know.

#7 ·
It's a nice place, as nice as any range I've been too. Talking with the the two Mobile County SO guys putting the match on their biggest worry is making sure they take care of the shooters and everyone has a good experience.
No walking up and down hills to get to stages and see which ones are running fast or slow. Bathrooms, registration and vendors within 50 yds. Possibly and extra M and 5toG on the rifle deck.
We should have a practice rack and maybe D1s for checking sights on a pay per mag with proceeds to charity. Supposed to have an ammo vendor on sight and possibly Ed's Public Safety if they can make it (fingers crossed). The SO Reserve will be doing the concessions and the police explorers will be running score sheets and helping paste targets.

...and yes, Kitty, I AM EXCITED. I was informed that since I was the one doing the promoting and the one that pushed them to get it, they want me to make sure it works and they want to be able to worry about making it safe and fun so everyone will come back. Also, if this works, they might host some PPC and other shooting types.

#11 · (Edited)
For those of you wanting to know which hotels are in the area, the Hampton Inn and Suites- Providence Park has agreed to be one of our host hotels. Right now the rate is $99 but I have heard their government rate is $94.

www.hamptonmobileprovidencepark.com

I am talking with another chain as well to see if they would like to offer a group rate for those that prefer the $60ish range. If it comes through, I will add their information.

Both the Hampton and the secondary hotel are around 10-12 miles from the range.

#12 ·
For those of you wanting to know which hotels are in the area, the Hampton Inn and Suites- Providence Park has agreed to be one of our host hotels. Right now the rate is $99 but I have heard their government rate is $94.

www.hamptonmobileprovidencepark.com

I am talking with another chain as well to see if they would like to offer a group rate for those that prefer the $60ish range. If it comes through, I will add their information.

Both the Hampton and the secondary hotel are around 10-12 miles from the range.
Hey Bama,

Any Mobile home parks renting out housing for the match?:tongueout::rofl:

#13 ·
I was at the range today and noticed that the new becnhes were built and installed. Tables are being built and they have 12 new pepper poppers that are being kept new until the match arrives.

Also, for those of you wondering, the GPS coordinates are:

LAT 30' 42 N
LON 88' 19 W

...so put them in your GPS and see how long it might take you to get here :supergrin:

#17 ·
Scooter,
The 99 was the group rate. I think this one is a highfalutin' Hampton, but it close to everything you should need while at the match. Grocery, medical help, movie theater, restaurants, gunshops, ammo.

#18 ·
That IS a group rate, albiet a poor one. Regular rates:
Reg Rack, $113
AAA, $107
AARP/Senior, $101
Gov't $94

I just think it's poor because I already qualify for Gov't and want something better than that. :shocked:
So if you applied your government rate discount and your AARP discount and the GSSF group discount, they should owe you:rofl:

Kitty, did you check the coordinates and get a door to door distance? Also, I have a group of 30 Deputies and PD officers coming out tomorrow for a "match" run through. I get to be the RO, Safety officer and squadding officer and they all get to shoot. I may even yuse your stuff for a briefing:supergrin:
This will give us a chance to see how sensitive the timers are, where we need vision blockers and expose the ROs to the scoring, sign up, etc...

#19 · (Edited)
So if you applied your government rate discount and your AARP discount and the GSSF group discount, they should owe you:rofl:
Call and ask them, will you? :tongueout:

Kitty, did you check the coordinates and get a door to door distance? Also, I have a group of 30 Deputies and PD officers coming out tomorrow for a "match" run through. I get to be the RO, Safety officer and squadding officer and they all get to shoot. I may even yuse your stuff for a briefing:supergrin:
This will give us a chance to see how sensitive the timers are, where we need vision blockers and expose the ROs to the scoring, sign up, etc...
It's 470 miles to the range for me.

My 'stuff' is good 'stuff' - and it mentions ready positions and trigger fingers. But you wouldn't forget that anyway. You still have cones in mind?

What about baffles between the stages? We spoke about that I think - but I forgot what you said.

ETA: Ever get to the Coast Guard Sector offices?

#24 ·
My 'stuff' is good 'stuff' - and it mentions ready positions and trigger fingers. But you wouldn't forget that anyway. You still have cones in mind?

What about baffles between the stages? We spoke about that I think - but I forgot what you said.

We talked about baffles yesterday, but what we did was a shot through and a minibriefing on squadding, start positions, range commands and scoring.Of the 16 shooters at the walk through, only two had previous experience with the D1 targets and the arrays.

I let the County RO run me through all three stages and then we let the shooters alternate between running the timer and entering the scores. All of the shooters took turns scoring the targets.

As expected, some shot better on steel and some on paper, but everyone that talked to me about the practice said something similar to, "...now that I know how the match runs..."

On a personal note, August 5th, in Mobile from 12-4 is HOT:steamed:HOT; so hot in fact that I got to :puking:

Oh what I give for this sport:supergrin:

Anyway, everyone was well briefed on starting positions and range commands. Squadding will get more attention, but the ones that picked it up the best are going to be the primary squadding officers.

As to baffles- we will work on them on another date at an earlier time, preferably morning or evening.

Also, I met a new GTer out there but I, emabarrasingly, have forgotten his GT handle. I think it is Todd something. If he reads this, I hope he feels free to chime in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.