Update on the Mobile Match

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by BamaTrooper, May 6, 2012.

1. Maybe you’re a smoother talker than Bama. :) But I figured if he'd just walk in in uniform and ask, that they'd be happy to oblige. I use that ploy frequently - plus my charm of course. :supergrin:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Kitty, I have told you before

a hammerlock is not really charm. :O)

3. Yeah... but it works so well! :tongueout:

4. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Almost Done

We talked about baffles yesterday, but what we did was a shot through and a minibriefing on squadding, start positions, range commands and scoring.Of the 16 shooters at the walk through, only two had previous experience with the D1 targets and the arrays.

I let the County RO run me through all three stages and then we let the shooters alternate between running the timer and entering the scores. All of the shooters took turns scoring the targets.

As expected, some shot better on steel and some on paper, but everyone that talked to me about the practice said something similar to, "...now that I know how the match runs..."

On a personal note, August 5th, in Mobile from 12-4 is HOT:steamed:HOT; so hot in fact that I got to :puking:

Oh what I give for this sport:supergrin:

Anyway, everyone was well briefed on starting positions and range commands. Squadding will get more attention, but the ones that picked it up the best are going to be the primary squadding officers.

As to baffles- we will work on them on another date at an earlier time, preferably morning or evening.

Also, I met a new GTer out there but I, emabarrasingly, have forgotten his GT handle. I think it is Todd something. If he reads this, I hope he feels free to chime in.

5. It's todd river, who lives nearby apparently.

6. Did you use my 'stuff'? Very comprehensive - but could use some photos.

7. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member
    Millennium Member

"Also, I met a new GTer out there but I, emabarrasingly, have forgotten his GT handle. I think it is Todd something. If he reads this, I hope he feels free to chime in. "

How about Todd River? Sound about right, geeee do we always have to keep you straight. No wonder Ed cuts your grass and carries your bags. :embarassed::wavey::faint:

Don

8. No problem, you had your hands full. To say the least, it
    was a very humbling experience. Especially when we went
    through the plates. I can make excuses, but the fact is
    I could not hit one plate on my 1st try. It did not get to
    much better after that. I did learn a good bit, and I know
    I need a whole lot more practice.

I did try a new ammo mag tech that I picked up from
    palmetto state armory, and one of the guys told me to
    get rid of it. It was bouncing off the plates. That is my
    only excuse.

9. Bama was barfing... that kept him busy. :whistling:

10. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Sorry I couldn't make it yesterday to help out Bama. I was in WV shooting with my friend Mike.

Well part of that is true, I was in WV shooting and Mike was there too.

11. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Almost Done

All it is is practice. Most of those guys that were there are used to shooting a single Q target for qualification and when they shoot plates, it is for fun (hardly ever timed and hardly ever with that many people watching).

We should have a few more "minimatches" so feel free to come out again; or just come out and shoot plates.

#31 BamaTrooper, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  12. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Bama let me know when I'd love to help, but I might be sort of limited on what weekends I'm free. Before you plan another match get with me and if it's all the same we can work it in to fit my schedule.

13. I am just across the bay in Baldwin county. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

14. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Almost Done

Next practice session, I will let you know. You can come shoot, just watch, or get some RO briefing info in case you decide to help out on Match day.

I know how much you have been wanting to shoot...why do you think we got them to bring a match to Mobile?

15. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Almost Done

I was out to the range on teh 7th and we managed to get 7 more shooters to come out. Granted 6 were our SWAT guys that I am trying to get to shoot guardian and guardian team, but they seemed interested and a couple of them did well enough that a little practice might put them on the podium.

#35 BamaTrooper, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  16. On the podium? You've been watching too much Olympics... :supergrin:

17. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member
    Millennium Member

Either that or Bama's idea of the "Podium" is referring to the "Out Door John". :tongueout::embarassed:

Don

18. mikey357

CLM

Depending on the "State" of your DIGESTION, I guess that COULD BE the "Immodium Podium", couldn't it?!?!...:tongueout::rofl::tongueout:....mikey357

19. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Almost Done

We tried the timers with reduced sensitivity and it looks like we can run 3 stages per bay. As added precaution, we will put sound "walls" up.

Vision blockers to divide the arrays will be added so the spatially challenged will shoot the correct array.

For those of you wanting to volunteer as ROs, PM me with your info so we can start the list. We should be able to shoot most if not all of the ROs through on Friday.

20. Now you're talking... :devildance: :thumbsup: I hope you get a huge turnout because I think you can handle a fairly large crowd from your various descriptions of the pre-planning.

Let's talk tomorrow - I've got some other 'stuff'...