close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

"Untreatable Tuberculosis"

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Bolster, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    One of the benefits of posting to GT S/P is: you get to be alarmist. So here's my contribution.

This morning's paper announced that "a mutant strain of tuberculosis is proving resistant to all known treatments" in India. "Spread of the strain could return tuberculosis to the fatal plague that killed two-thirds of people afflicted."

Predictably, the Indian government has been trying to cover it up, and now that the news has been "outed," their government is accusing health officials of "starting a panic."

"It's just the tip of the iceberg," said Dr. Soumya Swaminathan, of India's National Institute for Research in Tuberculosis. For treatments, Dr. Udwadia said, "We've got nothing."

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  2. thesurefire

thesurefire

Apr 16, 2006
    Colorado
    Another thing to keep watch on. I'm always a little scared about disease in asia, because with such dense populations there is the possibility of spread like wildfire.

Some people, in America don't understand while that a city of 200k people here can be 4 square miles. A group of 200k people there might be four square blocks. Even in places like New York where there are 30 story apartment buildings, Shanghai has 70 story apartment buildings. Humans living like they live today, in super cramped quarters is a recipe for disaster disease wise.

3. thetoastmaster

thetoastmaster NOT a sheepdog!

I learned about this when I was capstoning (interning) at the county health department. Frankly, I am much more concerned regarding the XDR out of Eastern Europe than the totally drug-resistant tuberculosis (TDR-TB) out of India, just because we get more people traveling to and from Eastern Europe than South Asia, at least around here. The problem is that folks come down with an LTBI or ATB and can't afford the full course of treatment; so they buy INH and Rifampin onesy-twosys. Hence, extremely (and now totally drug-resistant) TB is starting to appear. Luckily, local health department infectious disease nurses are quite aware of the problem; and most every hospital has isolation rooms with negative airflow for this contingency.

Sooner or later there will be a super bug that will kill off a whole bunch of us. That's just the nature of the beast.

4. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    I am surrounded by Indians. This cowboy is scared.

5. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono

Jul 15, 2009
    It's already outside their borders. Of all the "hit the fan" scenarios something like this is the most probable.

6. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
  7. RatDrall

RatDrall

May 23, 2009
    Don't let people spit in your mouth and TB shouldn't be an issue, it's spread by droplets isn't it?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  8. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    Yes it is and hard to fight.

9. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    Sorry TF,I was responding ta the post above yours.'08.

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Sounds like that would be a problem if we lived in a world where we won't restrict immigration to prevent the spread of the disease, since that would be racist, and we won't treat people with contagious diseases like they are somebody we could catch a disease from, since that would be discriminatory....hey...we do!

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Yep, that's how people get TB...:upeyes::rofl:

12. humanguerrilla

humanguerrilla

Jul 25, 2006
    the woods
    And we are only used to seeing the new middle class Chinese and the Chinese millionaires in the western media. Neon lit China. We don't see the majority cramped factory workers in the tenements who bathe their families out of a small tub that Americans might keep beer iced at bbqs.

13. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member CLM

Jan 3, 2007
    CCTX
    Misuse and overuse of antibiotics will do that. Since bacteria can trade dna across species, a resistant but benign bacteria could pass on the resistance to a harmful one. Still think all that drug-resistant E coli. at feedlots isn't going to be a problem?

14. RatDrall

RatDrall

May 23, 2009
    TB is spread by droplets, coughed out of the infected person's lungs, that are then breathed in by those around them.

Unless I was improperly trained. When we transported TB patients, we had face shields and masks on so we couldn't get coughed on, or breathe in droplets.

15. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Bren - where's your sig line:

from?

16. thetoastmaster

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Tuberculosis requires airborne infection control precautions not droplet. Preventing its spread when the disease is active requires a fit-tested N95 surgical mask (not the kind you get at the Home Depot). The droplet nuclei are one to five microns in diameter (Heymann, 2004), necessitating serious precautions for people that might be exposed (e.g. healthcare workers).

"The risk of infection with the tubercle bacillus is directly related to the degree of exposure..." (Heymann, 2004). You can get tuberculosis and not even know it. Tuberculosis starts in a latent state, and colonizes the lungs, generally (bot not always). Approximately ten percent of individuals with latent tuberculosis infections convert to active tuberculosis disease.

There is a lot of good evidence-based reading on the subject. The book I cited is the gold standard (there is a nineteenth edition; I don't have it yet). The CDC is also a good resource:
    http://www.cdc.gov/tb/publications/factsheets/prevention/ichcs.htm

Heymann, D. L. (2004). Control of communicable diseases manual. (18 ed., pp. 560-572). Washington DC, USA: Amer Public Health Assn.

17. pugman

pugman

May 16, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Didn't Professor Moriarty kill Irene Adler (Rachel McAdams's character) in the recently released Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows with a "rare from of Tuberculosis" which she died from in a matter of seconds?

See this stuff has been around since the 1890's we should be fine*

*This sacarsm brought to you by the fact I'm only on my second cup of coffee

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  18. thetoastmaster

:shocked:

Threadkiller...

:upeyes:

:rofl:

:tongueout: