close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Unorthodox Prepping Items

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by LSUAdman, Feb 29, 2012.

1. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Aug 3, 2010
    Texas
    Hey guys-

My wife and I are still in our infancy on prepping, but we've got together two nice car kits, a 72Hr BOB and some other things hidden away for emergencies.

One thing we struggle with is coming up with ideas that we've missed. In our brainstorming sessions (usually on road trips) we come up with some pretty interesting ideas to add to our kit.

Some of these ideas may be old hat to some of you, but we felt pretty smart when we came up with them. Since we all know flashlights, MREs, med kits and chem lights are necessities, what unorthodox items do you store in your car kits and BOBs? Here are some of ours:

Dryer Lint - Yes, dryer lint. I store it by the baggy full. Handy for starting fires, costs zero and weighs next to nill. I have three pretty good sized baggies hidden away in both cars and the BOB, as well as three more baggies sitting above the dryer. Great way to start your firepits for parties too.

Safety Pins - Probably a duh here, but they are just so darned useful. Need to punch a whole, hold something together or excise a splinter? We also keep a few paper clips of different sizes. I figure they do pretty much the same thing, but without the ability to punch small holes.

eReader - Okay, bear with me on this one. My wife and I both have kindles, but for Christmas we got a Sony eReader as a gift. Off topic, but it's crap compared to the Kindle. After no luck trying to sell it, I uploaded a ton of my family's favorite books and some of the classicsto it as well as adding a small Power Curve solar charger to the kit. We can carry thousands of books on a variety of topics, and keep the device charged for as long as we need. Contingent on no EMP or total blackout situation, but still.

Baby Wipes - I totally understand why soldiers love these. After a few days without water, just having anything to wipe away the sweat and oil is awesome. It may not keep you warm or feed you, but it does a lot for the spirit.

So those are my unorthodox preps. What are yours?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  2. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Good thread start... you're talking the less "tactical" but very "practical" stuff.

Not sure your items are so terribly unorthodox...I store lint with vasoline in sealed straw tubes (waterproof). Also at least a half dozen safety pins each GHB. I also carry wipes, in "single serving" units.

Some of my more oddball items include:

Crayons - for marking messages on rough surfaces. In emergency situations there's often the need to leave messages on buildings, gates, etc.

Earplugs - for sleeping in crowded rooms, cuts down on the snoring I have to hear.

Headlamp - not just a handheld flashlight. Headlamps are just so much more useful when working.

N95 masks - heavy on these (carry 3) as I'm urban and buildings will be going down, dust everywhere.

SAS Survival Manual (Wiseman) -- something to read. There will be dull hours to endure and I plan to memorize the SAS manual someday.

Pipette -- for dropping bleach into water.

Tarp anchors - "Grip Clips" by Sierra Designs. Love these, can make a shelter out of a tarp, sheet, or poncho easily with these, and they don't damage the fabric.

Tubing - a few feet of it, could be used for either sucking water out of a solar still, or siphoning gasoline (but not both!)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

3. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Aug 3, 2010
    Texas
    Good list Bolster. I have the earplugs, SAS Manual and N95 masks as well - definately great equipment and light (well, the SAS Book is heavy, but not terribly so). Plus the SAS Manual makes a good read while traveling.

I need to add the other things to my list. Any brand headlamp you would suggest? I have lots of lights scattered around the house and in the cars, but no hands free type lights.

Another thing I keep are those little pocket guides of local flora and fauna. They are light, water proof and easy to slip into the pages of a book. They are pricey - usually about $7-$8, but they ca take a ton of abuse.

Let's keep this thread going, I'm sure a lot of us have stuff we consider to be "duhs" that some of us (okay, me) didnt think of! :supergrin:

4. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Fwiw, in my ghb I carry the old Sonic-II earplugs with the baffles. They keep out wind, cold, and even insects when sleeping, but still let you hear normal-level noises around you. One earache too many while in the woods is what had me start carrying them, as they substantially reduce the effect of cold, windy days without hampering your ability to hear what's going in in the vicinity.

5. id1otbox

id1otbox

Oct 14, 2011
    Fort Collins CO
    I have a couple thousand feet of 24 gauge wire for snares

6. if you use certain types of tubing, you could also use it as a slingshot.

7. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Aug 23, 2009
    SE WA
    Or just a 100yard case of floss with some HD needles added.

That was my sewing kit for two deployments to iraq. And will continue to be.

8. G23c

G23c

Jan 23, 2009
    houston, texas
    zip ties (varying sizes)
    plastic bags
    bike flasher
    whistle
    small cans of sterno

9. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Did it work well? Stuff you sewed up with dental floss held up well? Now I'll be searching for dental floss of the correct colors...I've seen red (cinnamon) and turquoise.

10. racerford

racerford

Apr 22, 2003
    DFW area
    I don't think I would use flavored floss, you can never be sure what your would attract if you were in the wilderness. :wow:

11. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Aug 23, 2009
    SE WA
    We fixed EVERYTHING with floss. Blown out boots, buttons, cammies, molle webbing, sleeping bags. You name it, if it ripped, we sewed it up with floss. Hell, I just go ahead and remove the buttons on pants after I buy them now and resew it with floss.

It's a billion times stronger than ordinary thread. And much easier to find than sail thread or other HD upholstery thread.

Not many color options. As long as you like it in white. Some say don't go with waxed. I haven't found any difference. As long at it's not that stupid flat floss.

12. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    I dont see how floss wouldnt hold up well if it were stitched well.

13. Airhasz

Airhasz

Feb 26, 2012
    Bad Axe
    This thread is cracking me up:rofl: live a little and don't worry so much about insignificant petty things...just saying.

14. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    Cologne... lots of Cologne.

For my Irish bath... :rofl:

15. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.

Maybe you haven't noticed what forum you are in. Just sayin'.

16. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Aug 3, 2010
    Texas
    Hey, thanks for stopping by. Maybe next time you can contribute like a big boy!

17. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Aug 3, 2010
    Texas
    Okay, now I need to add some floss. Great add.