close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Unless your hands are extremely small, what use is the slim grip panel?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by fnfalman, Jan 10, 2013.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I have small hands (but big feet), and the standard M1911 grip panels work great for me. My Talo .38 Super custom carry come with slim grips and I simply hate it. I can see people with even smaller hands than me needing slimmer grip panels, but I've seen men with larger hands than me using them. What does it do for people with hands big enough to use regular thickness grip panels?

2. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    I don't like them either, I use regular panels.

3. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I've never quite been able to warm up to thin grips.

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  5. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    My Custom Colt Commander was the first gun I owned with thin grips. There was just "something" about it, that me and my buddy's who held and shot it liked. Turns out it was the thin grips. It just feels right to me. I like regular thickness grips too, but if I have a choice, I prefer thin grips.

6. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    Funny you should post this just when I'm considering picking up slim grips for my Kobra Carry. :dunno:

Slimmer is more concealable too, no.

LOL
    <<-- Carries a G30

7. ctfireman

ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT

You know what they say about.....

oh never mind.

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I don't think a couple hundredth of an inch would matter in concealment mode.:tongueout:

9. they are mainly designed to reduce width for concealed carry and not for hand size. that is what the long and short triggers are for. a couple hundredth of an inch x2 is quite noticeable with IWB carry.

10. sawgrass

sawgrass

Feb 21, 2009
    :rofl: You know what we women believe...

Generally I prefer a short trigger and standard grips.
    Today I experimented with a short trigger and slim grips.

Oddly enough and I was surprised in that I like the short slim combination. Last night shooting indoors with a long trigger and slim grips my trigger finger wasn't automatically going in the right place and after a box or so my finger was stinging.

I thought WTH? I shot outside during the day but it was cold enough that I barely felt my fingers .

I'll be curious to see how it feels when I actually shoot the combo. At least with the short trigger I'll have the option of changing out the grips.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  11. Taphius

Taphius

Sep 26, 2011
    Las Vegas
    On my cz I preferred slim grips, made the trigger reach feel a lot shorter. My 1911 though it makes for some uncomfortable recoil and the safety digging into my thumb area for some reaon

12. harleytech

harleytech

Feb 25, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I like them on my Colt CCG. And I have Large hands....

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Same here - I probably have bigger hand than many, but I like small grips on guns (and big grips on knives).

14. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY
    I love the thin grips on my Baer. When I first bought it I thought they would have to go but I warmed up to them very quickly. I wish I knew who made them for Baer so I could buy a couple more sets without the logo.

15. [​IMG]

Several years ago I "thought" I wanted some slim grips on a current production Series 70 Colt I owned. After trying them out for a while, I realized that fifty years of handling standard sized grips had conditioned my hands for the feel of those types of stocks.

I guess it's a personal thing with most people.

16. Markel

Markel

May 11, 2012
    FWIW, I wrapped my hands around my first set of thin grips today on my Guncrafter CCO. I didn't request them, that's just the way the way the gun came.

But I was so surprised! Never would have thought to try them. Now my Bill Wilson Carry Pistol feels a little chunky in comparison. Of course, the proof will be in the shooting because I know the BWCP works very well for me. Maybe I'll find out tomorrow!

[​IMG]

17. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Congrats! Great looking gun. :cool: And FWIW, my CCO NN shoots a bit better than my Wilson ULCc.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  18. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    I went the other direction. I fashion grips out of 2X4's

19. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Its funny. I have a pair of VZ slim panels and hate them on my full size 1911's but they seem to be at home and really feel good on the Commander size Kimber SIS Pro I own. I have big hands too..

20. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    Congrats, very nice...