close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Unknown Colt Navy reproduction

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Aiden, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Aiden

Aiden

Apr 27, 2010
    Illinois 61550
    So, I picked this up used for a project of mine (don't plan on ever shooting it), and while I was playing with it I got to wondering who made it. It has "Navy Model .36 cal" on the left side of the barrel, and "Black Powder Only - Made in Italy" on the right side. What appears to be a serial number is stamped above the trigger guard. "Patent N" is on the cylinder.

I've been scouring the internet trying to figure out the manufacturer, but due to lack of manufacturer's marks, I've come up empty so far. I have seen a couple posts detailing a repro very similar to mine, however the final answer as to what they were was never found. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I will be able to help? :D Thanks!

Haven't looked under the grips yet, about to head into work.

Here are some pics. And before someone mentions it, yes I'm aware it's missing a wedge screw, replacement has already been ordered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Aiden

Aiden

Apr 27, 2010
    Illinois 61550
    Ah but I haven't been able to find any of the proof marks that would have been present on a Pietta.

This is what I tried to use for reference.
    http://www.powderhombre.com/mbpproofmarks.pdf

Unless they were removed? But it doesn't look like anything has been removed.

3. I know the Pietta has made different guns for various importers and according to that site it was made in 1954.

It may look like other markings haven't been removed but it sure has been taken apart before.

4. Road Dog

Road Dog Senior Member Millennium Member

Jul 29, 1999
    Ringgold, GA
    It could be one of the old kit guns they used to sell.

RD

5. Aiden

Aiden

Apr 27, 2010
    Illinois 61550
    I was wondering about the kit guns, were those not required to have proof marks?

6. Road Dog

Road Dog Senior Member Millennium Member

Jul 29, 1999
    Ringgold, GA
    I'm not sure, I had a friend that put one together in the early 1990s in 44 and the pic reminded me of it. Other than the obvious caliber difference it seems like it was a brass frame too.