University of Akron PD shooting recorded on body cam

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ronduke, Oct 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't see it as criticism myself. I see a big difference between the constructive thoughts we have seen here so far, and MMQBing by those who have never been there themselves, and never will.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. We just stopped. Not sure what the justification was.

Edit: we just stopped teaching the magazine exchange (replacing a partial with a full mag with a round in the chamber).

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Ohub Campfire mobile app

#22 The Fist Of Goodness, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  3. We get a brief mention, but nothing more. Double taps only, none of this wasting ammo stuff with multiple shots. :upeyes:

4. Folks, I give you the value of the body worn camera, for both training and investigation purposes.

5. The Glock worked perfectly!

6. Isn't that what a tactical reload is? It's what I understand it to be.

I don't look at it as criticism either, per se. There's nothing wrong with having your mind prepared on the chance you might go through something like this, and that's what I see this as.

I wouldn't criticize, because it turned out okay. Just like I won't criticize the officer I used to work with who decided to go hands on with a knife wielding hostage taker. It turned out for the best, so I've got nothing to say. Same here. I wouldn't have tried to wrestle a knife away from a hostages' throat, and I would have swapped mags after the initial volley, but both situations were resolved successfully, so I'll keep my yap shut.

Prayers for the officer, hope he gets any and all help he needs.

7. Remarkable poise by the officer on his radio call-out, given the circumstances.

At least now the part about the Social Security number makes sense.

8. I love the comments to videos like these:

Uh, yeah skippy. Will that be after you climb out of your folks' basement or after you get done with the midnight shift at Burger King?

9. I was actually going to remark that most of the comments on the video seemed to be pretty favorable for once. Always has to be a "that guy."

10. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

World of difference taking a situation and discussing options that might be better than the choices made in the heat of battle, realizing things rarely take the optimal path under stress... Unless you talk about these situations after the fact and now that you have the time to analyze them to the Nth degree, come up with additional options that you just might remember if you are ever on a similar situation because you thought about them, discussed them today.

That's not criticizing, that's learning from someone else's experience, combined with decades worth of the collective wisdom of colleagues.

Randy

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

#30 steveksux, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  11. Yeah I get it. He could have done a tactical reload.

But as was mentioned, he wasn't at slide lock, so we can cut the guy a little slack I think. I am sure his training officers have gone over the issue with him.

Other than that, who here thinks they could have done better given the same situation?

12. Anyone notice how the news media couldn't resist a dig against the officer? They had to mention that on a prior occasion, his Department had tried to fire this officer for excessive force, but ultimately he was vindicated. Ok, well, is he was cleared of wrongdoing, then why mention it? Just to stir the pot. The media is not our friend.

13. Yeah, I saw that too.

14. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Never going to won that battle, he needs to lateral to another department. Chief can harass him easily in real time, he has to respond by lawsuit in slow motion.

Needs new chief or new job.

Randy

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

15. Yup, sounds like this chief was truly a monkey's ASH.

16. We were using both terms for the same drill (depending on what was in vogue at FLETC when the instructors were trained). We starting calling it an exchange because students were confusing it with an emergency reload ( slide lock).

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Ohub Campfire mobile app

17. Just to clarify, my comments were not (intended as) critical of his actions. I was noting my observations, and the importance of training how you intend/need to fight.

On that note, how many of you practice for this scenario at the range? I occasionally do at the dept's. range, but that usually gets a lot of quizzical response so I try to save dynamic drills like dumping a mag while backpedalling/taking cover, for outings at my property which is not frequent enough.

18. I was speaking generally, not specifically about you or anyone else on this thread.

Just throwing it out there as food for thought..

19. Sam Spade

Lifetime Member

Hey! Thanks, chief!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.