close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Universal background check question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by gwalchmai, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    Far as I know - the standard is as long as the seller did not know the person was - a felon, mentally ill, addicted to drugs, not a resident of the state - whatever else would make them prohibited - they are GTG.

They have no duty to check anything - so if they do check and the ID is fake - I can't see where it would matter.

2. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    That is not what I said -

I do not know you - I have a gun for sale - I am at a gun show - I have a sign on my back that says G19 & 3 mags $400.

You come up - hand me $400 - I hand you the gun.

I broke no law - even if you are a convicted (just escaped from prison) felon with a mental problem that is addicted to crack.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013

3. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    So how do you as Buyer A prove to the BATFE that the guy showed you the (fake) ID? And how do you tell them who has the gun unless you keep a record?

4. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    True, which is why many sellers ask for a DL and CCW.

I'm getting Jeeves from MIB saying "He looked OK to me..." here. ;)

5. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    cogan station, pa, usa
    Here's the BIG JOKE. My Daughter did this to become a Teacher and put the wrong Social Security number down and she passed with flying colors. She reversed two numbers by accident. What do they really check?....but take your money! They can't even match simple data.

6. NickC50310

NickC50310

Jun 9, 2005
    Des Moines Iowa
    Just like any other law that is broken- the gov must prove person a broke the law. Pretty simple really. If person a is really on point they will do a bill of sale for whatever firearm they sell. If person a wants to take it to the next level of cya they will keep a picture of the buyers permit. With all that said it is not person a's responsibility to prove their innocence. It is the govs job to prove their guilt. That is how our justice system works.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    Why does it matter?

You had no obligation to even check an ID -

You committed no crime by looking at a fake ID -

You have no obligation to keep any records -

You have no obligation to tell the BATFE anything -

:dunno:

8. NickC50310

NickC50310

Jun 9, 2005
    Des Moines Iowa
    Again the basics of our justice system. The burden of proof isnt on you. You dont have to maintain any records or prove anything. The gov must prove your guilt.

9. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    Not so sure --

I am not a lawyer -- but have been involved with the legal system (mostly civil) many times.

You can actually get yourself in MORE trouble sometimes when you have good records - and are in many cases better off NOT having any records.

:shocked:

10. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    I'm referring to your proposed "no database" UBC system, not how things work today.

11. NickC50310

NickC50310

Jun 9, 2005
    Des Moines Iowa
    Thats fine but just because we say you must check id when selling a gun doesnt mean the basic fundamentals of our justice system will change from "innocent until proven guilty". Theres no reason to believe a change to require we check id would change the very basic fundamentals of our justice system. Orgs from the aclu to the nra would be lined up a mile long to sue the pants off the gov.

12. NickC50310

NickC50310

Jun 9, 2005
    Des Moines Iowa
  13. The Fed

The Fed

Dec 23, 2012
    Central Florida
    Name and address search. If she lived at the same address for 5 years that's all that's needed. They only care about SSN if there is more than one person with her name and they cannot positively identify her by her address.

This is the same thing they do to you if you get a mortgage. Bet no one knew that.

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I've been a cop, in a police family, working for law enforcement agencies, etc., since I was born - what you said is complete BS and I notice you don't support it with any details.:upeyes:

15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    All guns sold at retail since 1968 already have a paper trail, that's how ATF does gun traces every single day.

16. NickC50310

NickC50310

Jun 9, 2005
    Des Moines Iowa
    Dont bs me! I know all you jbts are just itching to break down my door, kick the hell out of my dog, follow my wife, and steal my guns! Lmao!

17. spcwes

spcwes

Feb 22, 2005
    Texas
    I think Z71bill has come up with the best idea yet. We need to have a 4473 once every 1-2 years for everyone that wants to buy a gun and call it a UBC. Only one 4473 for a year or two worth of buying guns. So get a check, buy 100 guns over a year, then get another.

18. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    Let me make sure I understand. You'd do this to ensure that buyers at private sales undergo BCs. Is the ability to trace the gun not important (it's not to me)?

Also, when the gun is traced to me and I sold it to a guy who showed he'd had a check, will the BATFE accept my word on that or do I need to keep a record?

19. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

That is NOT how the "proposed universal background check" law will work. All private sales will have to go through an FFL. Individuals will not be allowed to conduct background checks.

Since this type of nonsense is totally unenforceable, they will instantly declare another "loophole" and demand universal firearm registration. Without registration, you cannot prove there was a background check done.

20. NickC50310

NickC50310

Jun 9, 2005
    Des Moines Iowa
    Agreed. That is why we can not accept anything except what i have laid out.